With little unknown law Trump can undo much of Obama's destruction

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
"Nobody was counting on this.

Barack Obama infamously said that he would govern by a “pen and a phone.” He has circumvented Congress and the laws for years. The Democrats (and much of the media, but I repeat myself) have not only given him a pass, but cheered him on. Now it appears a seldom-noticed law might be a powerful tool that Trump can use to eviscerate much of the Obama legacy."

"Dozens of major regulations passed recently by the Obama administration — including far-reaching changes on health care, consumer protections and environmental safety — could be undone with the stroke of a pen by Donald J. Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress starting in January, thanks to a little-used law that dates back to 1996.

And it comes with a scorched-earth kicker: If the law is used to strike down a rule, the federal agency that issued it is barred from enacting similar regulation again in the future.

The obscure law — called the Congressional Review Act — was passed 20 years ago at the behest of Newt Gingrich, then the House speaker and now a member of Mr. Trump’s transition team. It gives Congress 60 legislative days to review and override major regulations enacted by federal agencies. In the Senate, the vote would not be subject to filibuster.

The president can veto the rejection, which usually renders the law toothless. But when one party controls both the White House and Congress, it can be a powerful legislative weapon."

Read more: Blog: Little-noticed law gives Trump unexpected power to undo the mischief of bureaucrats
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/b...bamas-rules-could-fall.html?ref=business&_r=1

Barack Obama infamously said that he would govern by a “pen and a phone.” He has circumvented Congress and the laws for years. The Democrats (and much of the media, but I repeat myself) have not only given him a pass, but cheered him on. Now it appears a seldom-noticed law might be a powerful tool that Trump can use to eviscerate much of the Obama legacy."

"Dozens of major regulations passed recently by the Obama administration — including far-reaching changes on health care, consumer protections and environmental safety — could be undone with the stroke of a pen by Donald J. Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress starting in January, thanks to a little-used law that dates back to 1996.

And it comes with a scorched-earth kicker: If the law is used to strike down a rule, the federal agency that issued it is barred from enacting similar regulation again in the future.

The obscure law — called the Congressional Review Act — was passed 20 years ago at the behest of Newt Gingrich, then the House speaker and now a member of Mr. Trump’s transition team. It gives Congress 60 legislative days to review and override major regulations enacted by federal agencies. In the Senate, the vote would not be subject to filibuster.

The president can veto the rejection, which usually renders the law toothless. But when one party controls both the White House and Congress, it can be a powerful legislative weapon."

Read more: Blog: Little-noticed law gives Trump unexpected power to undo the mischief of bureaucrats
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/16/b...bamas-rules-could-fall.html?ref=business&_r=1
The veto power is one of the several checks and balances of the US Constitution.

It is a good rule of constitutional law.

It works well.

Now Trump gets to wield that powerful pen -- which is more powerful than the sword.

Good for Trump.

Thanks for the civics lesson.

I did not know Newt passed this 2 decades ago. It sure bit him in the butt under BHO but now it can bite back under Trump.

This
No, he can't.

Scamper along.
stop sputtering Jake and explain why not....
Because it is not so. Won't happen. Scamper, sonny.

another liberal in denial....

968275c055ff01d40d2fef1b8e151cd8.jpg

The veto power is one of the several checks and balances of the US Constitution.

It is a good rule of constitutional law.

It works well.

Now Trump gets to wield that powerful pen -- which is more powerful than the sword.

Good for Trump.

Thanks for the civics lesson.

I did not know Newt passed this 2 decades ago. It sure bit him in the butt under BHO but now it can bite back under Trump.

this little law is in addition to revoking most of Obama's Executive Orders.......

it can get into the various Fed agencies and erase the stupid rules & regulations that they dished out which are hampering our country.....i especially want to see them eviscerate the Environmental agency....as well as the Education dept......

Forum List

Back