Windows XP

Like I said, I just saw a vid with Wall Street monitors in the background two days ago with windows XP logos in the background, not making that up. I had Vista, couldn't run most peripherals. X? I wont bother. Missing codecs and this and that.

Maybe they are running it virtually to be able to use proprietary or legacy software. Businesses were fond of XP.

Support for 7 ends in 2020 so an XP user might as well bite the bullet and jump to 8.1 or 10.

Windows X requires you to be on line just to start your PC. WHY? No more innocuously firing up the old bird just to reminisce at old family pictures, OH NO, MSN HAS TO KNOW you, where you are. WHY?Previous editions of Windows operating systems Never required that, ever.

No it doesn't. :rolleyes:
Really? Mine does. But I have just had it since last Friday. Cortana is an interesting addition, but still I have sign into MS on line so far it requires an online connection. For me, that is a fact.

There are certain apps that come with Win 10 that want you to sign in to use. My advice is to delete those apps and NEVER sign in. I read the terms of service agreement and found out that when you are signed in they will track almost everything you do on your computer so they can build a profile of you for directing targeted advertising at you. They said they will sell your profile to third parties.

I erased every one of the apps that came in the task area of icons that slides up. They are not necessary. Then I put my own shortcuts there. I simply don't want my profile on a server somewhere. Or if you want your system to look more like Win 7 or XP simply erase all the apps and the task area will go away.

For similar privacy reasons don't use their new internet explorer unless you know how to tame it. Yes, I might be paranoid, but I don't trust big brother (big brother is not the government. It's corporations.)

Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Win 7 and 8, but not for XP. So Wall Street would have to buy their own upgrades. Maybe they can't afford it.
It wasn't free. Data downloads for updates windows cost me, data isn't free. So why did Wall Street stick with XP? It works better and is a simpler interface maybe?
What reason should they have to "upgrade" each time MS releases a new OS? You see, it is working. Many systems still run Windows 3.1. Your nuke arsenal eats 80 Kb 5 1/4" floppy-disks.

Windows X requires you to be on line just to start your PC. WHY? No more innocuously firing up the old bird just to reminisce at old family pictures, OH NO, MSN HAS TO KNOW you, where you are. WHY?Previous editions of Windows operating systems Never required that, ever.

Really? Mine does. But I have just had it since last Friday. Cortana is an interesting addition, but still I have sign into MS on line so far it requires an online connection. For me, that is a fact.

There are certain apps that come with Win 10 that want you to sign in to use. My advice is to delete those apps and NEVER sign in. I read the terms of service agreement and found out that when you are signed in they will track almost everything you do on your computer so they can build a profile of you for directing targeted advertising at you. They said they will sell your profile to third parties.

I erased every one of the apps that came in the task area of icons that slides up. They are not necessary. Then I put my own shortcuts there. I simply don't want my profile on a server somewhere. Or if you want your system to look more like Win 7 or XP simply erase all the apps and the task area will go away.

For similar privacy reasons don't use their new internet explorer unless you know how to tame it. Yes, I might be paranoid, but I don't trust big brother (big brother is not the government. It's corporations.)
. Yep, the nail on the head you hit there. I don't understand for the life of me, why people were so willing to give up their privacy for technology that has one goal in mind, and that is to make sheep out of all of us eventually, and then to do it all under the guise of (we as a people) will be better off for it? In no way does letting the tech world create a profile, and then to store it in every way shape or form and/or to sell it to every so called add company imaginable can be a good thing. In fact the law suits ought to be flying left and right over the infringement on our privacy's without our permissions. How can people make money off of us without our permission, and we who are being used (without our permission) get nothing for it ?

Last edited:
I'm still on windows 7 and refuse to update.
We kept 7 on all our business computers.

I have a laptop with 10 on it and it's OK for my personal use. I kind of like it in fact but 10 really fucked up our business network and management software
. They didn't care what it messed up, because an agenda is in play, and that agenda trump's all that we see as detrimental, disastrous or as an inconvenience to us, because their goal has to be reached. The tech world rules as a silent dictatorship in this nation or in the world now, and you had best believe it. Fundamental changes have come, and they will get faster and faster as we all go, but they will be wrecklace and of non-quality in which will be the signs that it is all agenda driven, and not quality driven as new products and commerce should be in America and/or beyond.

Windows XP was ahead of it's time, but you still to this day can run a damn decent system on it. There is a version of it out there with all the useful services packs, and all the useless garbage taken out, plus tweaks for added performance and security.

Download+Windows+XP+Professional+SP3+x86-32-Bit+Black+Edition+ISO+Free_2.png

That being said, I disabled the "upgrade" to Win10 on my laptop, and never had to worry about it. I'll stick with Win7 for the foreseeable future.

I had a free upgrade from Vista to Win 7, then another free upgrade from 7 to 10.
It is puzzling why Wall Street didn't upgrade. XP is no longer supported and not as secure as later operating systems. I would think they would be very security conscious.

Perhaps the open availability of Raw Sockets with XP had something to do with it. It was quite the rave when XP was still new.

In fact the law suits ought to be flying left and right over the infringement on our privacy's without our permissions.
Unfortunately that would be very difficult. The act of loading Win 10 requires you to agree to the terms of service.
Your only options are:
1. Load it and shut up.
2. Don't load it.
3. If you are sorry you loaded it there is a time limit (1 month?) where you can restore your old operating system.

If you are an advanced user, there is a good (secret?) way to change all the user controllable features. Go to this link to get the GodMode:
Activate GodMode in Windows 10!
You don't have to download anything. That mode is in the system, but there is a cryptic way of getting to it.

In fact the law suits ought to be flying left and right over the infringement on our privacy's without our permissions.
Unfortunately that would be very difficult. The act of loading Win 10 requires you to agree to the terms of service.
Your only options are:
1. Load it and shut up.
2. Don't load it.
3. If you are sorry you loaded it there is a time limit (1 month?) where you can restore your old operating system.

If you are an advanced user, there is a good (secret?) way to change all the user controllable features. Go to this link to get the GodMode:
Activate GodMode in Windows 10!
You don't have to download anything. That mode is in the system, but there is a cryptic way of getting to it.
. Why is it legal to create or have terms and policies that violate people's privacy, and how does the government allow this if the people don't want these terms or policies in the first place ? Who are the feds working for (us or them) ?

. Why is it legal to create or have terms and policies that violate people's privacy, and how does the government allow this if the people don't want these terms or policies in the first place ? Who are the feds working for (us or them) ?
Lincoln's Getysburg address has been changed to:
... that government of the corporations, by the corporations, for the corporations, shall not perish from the earth

Last Friday 6/10/16 I left my pc on standby with permission to update windows 7 overnight. When I restarted my PC on Saturday, I had a whole NEW operating system that I never agreed to download or install, up and running. I missed something somewhere. I declined all other previous reminders, yet to my dismay, I got it ANYWAY. That is why am so t-eed off here. And so far, it's a real pain in the butt to navigate, and I have to use CHROME as my default browser because MSN explorer just....vanished into thin air. Is that normal on WINDOWS X?

Last Friday 6/10/16 I left my pc on standby with permission to update windows 7 overnight. When I restarted my PC on Saturday, I had a whole NEW operating system that I never agreed to download or install, up and running. I missed something somewhere. I declined all other previous reminders, yet to my dismay, I got it ANYWAY. That is why am so t-eed off here. And so far, it's a real pain in the butt to navigate, and I have to use CHROME as my default browser because MSN explorer just....vanished into thin air. Is that normal on WINDOWS X?

You didn't have to upgrade to 10. I am still running 7 on this PC and Vista on my other PC. However, Microsoft pushed hard to get people to upgrade and, from things I have read, were sneaky about it. Just having automatic updates turned on may have been enough to do it.

As far as Internet Explorer, apparently while Edge is the default browser, you can still use IE and it is supposed to come with the OS. Here, if this is helpful : How to find Internet Explorer in Windows 10 if you really need it

XP may not be supported by Microsoft any more, but it still functions. There just aren't any updates for it. It may not work with some newer hardware or software, but that doesn't mean a business can't continue to use it effectively.

As I said a few posts back, you can do a restore and get your old operating system back as long as you do it soon.

I think I read that they changed its classification to prioritize its download. If you do automatic updates and installs, then that would seem likely why that happened. I turned off automatic updates. I did 10, hated it, rolled back, and it kept wanting to install 10 again so I did a factory reset and turned off the updates. I do it manually and avoid all the updates that have been associated with the Windows 10 thing which really was getting to the point of being seen as malware by me it was so incessant.

As I said a few posts back, you can do a restore and get your old operating system back as long as you do it soon.
Thanks, sorry I didn't see your last post. It's worth a try!

Thanks, sorry I didn't see your last post. It's worth a try!

If you have the disc for your old OS, you can also try to format and reinstall that way, if you don't mind the hassle involved in that.

my problem is I like Live but MS is discontinuing it and forcing me to use win10 mail. I can't print wide emails, I can't save file as anything other than mail. I get my schedule by email how am I going to print it out now. I need a new mail interface.

I understand there are companies that specialize in maintaining xp, if you pay them.
I was watching a broadcast of TV Economic news reporting LIVE from Wall street when I noticed in the background, lo and behold, all the monitors on standby had the windows XP flag flying. Excuse the hell out of me, MS basically forced me into windows 10 but wallstreet and other major businesses gets a pass? What gives?

XP believe it or not was the standard operating system for the financial world and I thought all the systems had to transfer to Windows 7 because Microsoft is no longer updating the XP or securing it?

Forum List

Back