Windows XP

MaryL

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2011
Midwestern U.S.
I was watching a broadcast of TV Economic news reporting LIVE from Wall street when I noticed in the background, lo and behold, all the monitors on standby had the windows XP flag flying. Excuse the hell out of me, MS basically forced me into windows 10 but wallstreet and other major businesses gets a pass? What gives?

Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Win 7 and 8, but not for XP. So Wall Street would have to buy their own upgrades. Maybe they can't afford it.

• Banned
Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Win 7 and 8, but not for XP. So Wall Street would have to buy their own upgrades. Maybe they can't afford it.
It wasn't free. Data downloads for updates windows cost me, data isn't free. So why did Wall Street stick with XP? It works better and is a simpler interface maybe?

It wasn't free. Data downloads for updates windows cost me, data isn't free. So why did Wall Street stick with XP? It works better and is a simpler interface maybe?

If you purchased Windows 10, how exactly did they force you into it?

I was watching a broadcast of TV Economic news reporting LIVE from Wall street when I noticed in the background, lo and behold, all the monitors on standby had the windows XP flag flying. Excuse the hell out of me, MS basically forced me into windows 10 but wallstreet and other major businesses gets a pass? What gives?

XP believe it or not was the standard operating system for the financial world and I thought all the systems had to transfer to Windows 7 because Microsoft is no longer updating the XP or securing it?

I had a free upgrade from Vista to Win 7, then another free upgrade from 7 to 10.
It is puzzling why Wall Street didn't upgrade. XP is no longer supported and not as secure as later operating systems. I would think they would be very security conscious.

• Banned
Last Friday I had windows 7 and was happy, but on Monday, I had windows X without my elicit permission and with multitudes of further updates. Cortana won't answer me why we NEED windows X when XP worked just fine. Wall street works fine with XP, and they still chug on. I am getting lots of conflicting information, does Microsoft STILL support XP or NOT?

Last Friday I had windows 7 and was happy, but on Monday, I had windows X without my elicit permission and with multitudes of further updates. Cortana won't answer me why we NEED windows X when XP worked just fine. Wall street works fine with XP, and they still chug on. I am getting lots of conflicting information, does Microsoft STILL support XP or NOT?
XP is not supported anymore.

Here is the story that I heard. MS negotiated with vendors that if they got the user base up to X millions of users the vendors would write apps for Win 10. MS is having trouble reaching that goal, so they started being very aggressive about getting new users.

I got a message from MS saying that I was scheduled to get Win 10 on a certain date if they didn't hear from me, and if that date was not convenient, click here. Well I did click here and I got a drop down box that gave me about 7 consecutive dates after that with no ability to set the date to anything else, such as infinity. I clicked the furthest date option and thought I would get back to changing it later. I forgot about it and got Win 10 a week later.

I would gladly go to unix or linux operating systems, but the music software that I use would not work.

Wow, I did NOT purchase it nor want it. It arrived on my doorstep unwanted and unneeded, and it disposed my last operating system. It was MANDATED. But wall street gets a pass? I want to go back to XP.

Windows X requires you to be on line just to start your PC. WHY? No more innocuously firing up the old bird just to reminisce at old family pictures, OH NO, MSN HAS TO KNOW you, where you are. WHY?Previous editions of Windows operating systems Never required that, ever.

Windows X requires you to be on line just to start your PC. WHY? No more innocuously firing up the old bird just to reminisce at old family pictures, OH NO, MSN HAS TO KNOW you, where you are. WHY?Previous editions of Windows operating systems Never required that, ever.

No it doesn't. :rolleyes:

No it doesn't. :rolleyes:
Really? Mine does. But I have just had it since last Friday. Cortana is an interesting addition, but still I have sign into MS on line so far it requires an online connection. For me, that is a fact.

MICROSOFT doesn't stupport XP anymore. I understand that, Why does wall street still use it it?

. Not only did they stop supporting updates and security for XP, but the new programs wouldn't run on the 32 bit machine that XP ran on. So if your machine wasn't a 64 bit machine, not only did you have to replace your operating system, but you had to replace your computer
as well. I still have XP running on one of my old PC's, and I have Norton protecting it. You are right, that the interface or system is so user friendly with XP, and the new programs are far to aggravating to deal with it seems.
Geeks are writing these programs, so what more can we expect really ?

. Wasn't there a commercial version, and a non-commercial version ?

Like I said, I just saw a vid with Wall Street monitors in the background two days ago with windows XP logos in the background, not making that up. I had Vista, couldn't run most peripherals. X? I wont bother. Missing codecs and this and that.

MICROSOFT doesn't stupport XP anymore. I understand that, Why does wall street still use it it?

Better system after the update when the virus hit. Also remember Wall Street has it own IT men and women and the screens you were looking at could have been a selected few and not the entire Wall Street.

I don't mind 7 and will not update to 10. I have a newer computer that is 8 but have not powered it in months because I prefer this clunker I am using.

I have an older system that is XP but it is a tower and do not use it unless I need to.

Sometimes it is the person and preference on which system they use but Wall Street should be uniformed.

Also as I stated many financial institutions had to update their system when Windows stopped patching XP.

Windows XP support has ended - Microsoft Windows

As of April of 2014 they stopped according to them.

FFIEC Press Release

There is another link that will help you even more.

Forum List

Back