Wind And Solar Power Are Driving Up Electricity Prices, Expert Says

Discussion in 'Energy' started by bripat9643, Apr 24, 2018.

1. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +54,583
    The environmental wackos have been claiming that so-called "green energy" is cheaper, but the rest of us know better. Now here's the proof.

A prominent environmental activist took the unusual road of not only blaming rising electricity costs squarely on renewable sources, but also for deriding the mainstream media for ignoring the connection.

Michael Shellenberger, the president and founder of Environmental Progress, explained in a Forbes blog post Monday how the unreliability of renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar, is the main reason why electricity bills around the world have been getting higher.

Despite renewable energy technology slowly becoming more affordable, Shellenberger notes, electricity costs are still rising because of the unpredictable nature of wind and solar. Both sources produce excess energy when consumers don’t need them, and they don’t produce enough when needed the most.

For example, solar panels produce large amounts of energy throughout the day, but are unable to generate power at night when residents are more dependent on electricity to keep the lights on. Wind energy is notably unpredictable given how wind fluctuates substantially from day-to-day. The end result becoming other, more reliable sources of energy are relied upon to churn out power at a moment’s notice when renewables flop. Better yet, regions that produce too much wind and solar power have to pay — not sell — others to take the power off their hands, further spiking costs.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. OnePercenter

OnePercenter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,955
    There's nothing informative about anything that Bripat posts. The fact is my former property in Coronado California generated enough energy to charge the batteries which ran the house power throughout the night.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. WheelieAddict

WheelieAddict Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,860
    "expert" " :laugh2:
    "dailycaller" :laughing0301:

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. Ray From Cleveland

Ray From Cleveland Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,276
    It's really much more of a dependability factor. Maybe those batteries can keep a house powered one night, but what about the next night if no wind comes along?

Our wind is so strong here at times you can almost use a milk carton for a kite. Yet very few places invested in wind power. In the entire area of Cleveland, I'm only aware of four or five windmills and most of them are small ones.

One of our customers outside of Cleveland but still near Lake Erie where the winds come from had a windmill. One day I made a delivery there and noticed the windmill was gone. I asked the owner of the company WTF happened to the windmill? He was a big lib and pro-environment kind of guy. He just waived his hands down and said Ahhhhh.

Generally by electric bill for my home is about $55.00 a month. Think of how many years it would take me to break even if I invested in solar panels or a windmill.

5. HappyJoy

HappyJoy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,248
    Yeah, I'm paying 20 bucks (almost entirely for utility fees) for my electric bill and spent 18k on a solar system. My average bill before was about $200. I have a 15 year warranty on most of it.

I know I also use a lot more electricity now, crank up the a/c and I still have plenty to sell back to my utility company.

Yeah, I think I'm saving money and now I can waste electricity like a Repuplican and still save energy.

• Winner x 2
    • Thank You! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! x 1
  6. Ray From Cleveland

Ray From Cleveland Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,276
    Sure, if nothing breaks down. A warranty is different from a guarantee.

I'm guessing that the taxpayers subsidized you for your solar system.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Rosy

Rosy VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    The environmental whack jobs have also forgotten that the electricity powering their Tesla often comes from Nukes

8. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,598
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,737
    Ain't life a bitch for the rich monopoly holders of power distribution?

10. Moonglow

Moonglow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,737
    Surely you don't expect us to believe the petroleum industry doesn't get support from govt's in the forms of tax breaks and billions in subsidies...??

• Winner Winner x 1