Wind And Solar Power Are Driving Up Electricity Prices, Expert Says

If Solar And Wind Are So Cheap, Why Are They Making Electricity So Expensive?

can you laugh off Forbes?

facts are the taxpayer is keeping these green companies alive with our tax dollars, not our pay checks.

it's a scam
Surely you don't expect us to believe the petroleum industry doesn't get support from govt's in the forms of tax breaks and billions in subsidies...??
No, it doesn't. In fact, it pays hundreds of billions in taxes to the government every year. The claim that the government subsidizes the fossil fuel industry is snowflake propaganda, and nothing more.

Link to what they pay...because these are the tax breaks they shouldn't keep getting.

• Expensing Intangible Drilling Costs ($13.9 billion): Since 1913, this tax break has let oil companies write off some costs of exploring for oil and creating new wells. When it was created, drilling meant taking a gamble on what was below the earth without high-tech geological tools. But software-led advances in seismic analysis and drilling techniques have cut that risk down.
The cost of finding oil is a business expense. Why shouldn't it be deductible just like any other business expense. I can deduct the cost of my laptop, computer bag, any software I purchase, headphones, you name it.

• Deducting percentage depletion for oil and natural gas wells ($11.5 billion): Since 1926, this has given oil companies a tax breaks based on the amount of oil extracted from its wells. The logic is, if manufacturers get a break for the cost of aging machinery, drillers can deduct the cost of their aging resources. (You decide for yourself whether that makes any sense.) Since 1975, it's only available to "independent oil producers," not the big oil companies, like Exxon and BP. But many of these smaller companies aren't actually small. According to Oil Change International, independents made up 86 of the top 100 oil companies by reserves. Those 86 had a median market cap of more than $2 billion. So essentially, this is a tax break that subsidizes the Very Big oil companies at the expense of the Very Biggest.*
  • The domestic manufacturing deduction for oil and natural gas companies ($11.6 billion): In 2004, as American manufacturing was being ravaged by China's entrance on the global scene, Congress passed legislation designed to encourage companies to keep factories operating in the U.S. Thanks to some intensive lobbying, the oil industry ended up as one of the beneficiaries. But while the refining process does involve high-tech manufacturing, there was never any danger that either drilling or refining was going to migrate overseas.
Those may be legitimate subsidies, but you have to subtract them from the hundreds of billions the oil companies pay in taxes every year. State and federal xxcise taxes on gasoline come to about $100 billion. Then there are the income taxes that oil companies pay.
The big tax breaks don't stop there. For instance, accounting rules worth about $2 billion a year to the industry let companies deduct more for the cost of developing wells as oil prices rise. But it gives you a flavor of what we're talking about here -- bonuses that aren't even available to every company in the industry.

Those are very few, and the taxes paid on oil and gasoline are massive in comparison.
What was surprising, though, was the extent to which these companies were able to delay or defer the payment of the federal taxes they accrued. Most of the companies in our study deferred more than they actually paid. When the deferred taxes are subtracted from the amount these 20 companies owe, their average “current” tax rate drops to 11.7 percent. The independent oil and gas companies in the bottom half of our list, excluding the ones that recorded losses for the period, deferred almost all of the federal income taxes they accrued during the last five years, reporting an average current tax rate of just 3.7 percent.
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/econ...about-oil-and-gas-company-corporate-tax-rates
Deferred taxes still have to be paid, eventually.

Surely you don't expect us to believe the petroleum industry doesn't get support from govt's in the forms of tax breaks and billions in subsidies...??
No, it doesn't. In fact, it pays hundreds of billions in taxes to the government every year. The claim that the government subsidizes the fossil fuel industry is snowflake propaganda, and nothing more.

Link to what they pay...because these are the tax breaks they shouldn't keep getting.

• Expensing Intangible Drilling Costs ($13.9 billion): Since 1913, this tax break has let oil companies write off some costs of exploring for oil and creating new wells. When it was created, drilling meant taking a gamble on what was below the earth without high-tech geological tools. But software-led advances in seismic analysis and drilling techniques have cut that risk down.
The cost of finding oil is a business expense. Why shouldn't it be deductible just like any other business expense. I can deduct the cost of my laptop, computer bag, any software I purchase, headphones, you name it.

• Deducting percentage depletion for oil and natural gas wells ($11.5 billion): Since 1926, this has given oil companies a tax breaks based on the amount of oil extracted from its wells. The logic is, if manufacturers get a break for the cost of aging machinery, drillers can deduct the cost of their aging resources. (You decide for yourself whether that makes any sense.) Since 1975, it's only available to "independent oil producers," not the big oil companies, like Exxon and BP. But many of these smaller companies aren't actually small. According to Oil Change International, independents made up 86 of the top 100 oil companies by reserves. Those 86 had a median market cap of more than $2 billion. So essentially, this is a tax break that subsidizes the Very Big oil companies at the expense of the Very Biggest.*
  • The domestic manufacturing deduction for oil and natural gas companies ($11.6 billion): In 2004, as American manufacturing was being ravaged by China's entrance on the global scene, Congress passed legislation designed to encourage companies to keep factories operating in the U.S. Thanks to some intensive lobbying, the oil industry ended up as one of the beneficiaries. But while the refining process does involve high-tech manufacturing, there was never any danger that either drilling or refining was going to migrate overseas.
Those may be legitimate subsidies, but you have to subtract them from the hundreds of billions the oil companies pay in taxes every year. State and federal xxcise taxes on gasoline come to about $100 billion. Then there are the income taxes that oil companies pay.
The big tax breaks don't stop there. For instance, accounting rules worth about $2 billion a year to the industry let companies deduct more for the cost of developing wells as oil prices rise. But it gives you a flavor of what we're talking about here -- bonuses that aren't even available to every company in the industry.

Those are very few, and the taxes paid on oil and gasoline are massive in comparison.
What was surprising, though, was the extent to which these companies were able to delay or defer the payment of the federal taxes they accrued. Most of the companies in our study deferred more than they actually paid. When the deferred taxes are subtracted from the amount these 20 companies owe, their average “current” tax rate drops to 11.7 percent. The independent oil and gas companies in the bottom half of our list, excluding the ones that recorded losses for the period, deferred almost all of the federal income taxes they accrued during the last five years, reporting an average current tax rate of just 3.7 percent.
https://www.usnews.com/opinion/econ...about-oil-and-gas-company-corporate-tax-rates
Deferred taxes still have to be paid, eventually.
Not if you save them for a bad year...

Yeah, I'm paying 20 bucks (almost entirely for utility fees) for my electric bill and spent 18k on a solar system. My average bill before was about $200. I have a 15 year warranty on most of it.

I know I also use a lot more electricity now, crank up the a/c and I still have plenty to sell back to my utility company.

Yeah, I think I'm saving money and now I can waste electricity like a Repuplican and still save energy.

Sure, if nothing breaks down. A warranty is different from a guarantee.

i'm not concerned about it breaking down, they have proven to be reliable.

I'm guessing that the taxpayers subsidized you for your solar system.

Yes, for a portion. The feds gave me back 30% of the cost plus my state (red state) kicked in an additional $1k. So, basically I ended up only paying about $11k out of pocket. I also sell back my unused energy to the utility company so that nothing is lost.

All my neighbors, almost all of them republicans also have solar. Is that why I live in a Republican welfare state that sees more incoming federal dollars than it pays out? Nope, but the only thing that you're going to read from this post is that you paid for a portion of my solar.

BTW, you're welcome somebody needs to save you morons from yourselves.

Yeah, I'm paying 20 bucks (almost entirely for utility fees) for my electric bill and spent 18k on a solar system. My average bill before was about $200. I have a 15 year warranty on most of it.

I know I also use a lot more electricity now, crank up the a/c and I still have plenty to sell back to my utility company.

Yeah, I think I'm saving money and now I can waste electricity like a Repuplican and still save energy.

Yes, for a portion. The feds gave me back 30% of the cost plus my state (red state) kicked in an additional $1k. So, basically I ended up only paying about $11k out of pocket. I also sell back my unused energy to the utility company so that nothing is lost.

All my neighbors, almost all of them republicans also have solar. Is that why I live in a Republican welfare state that sees more incoming federal dollars than it pays out? Nope, but the only thing that you're going to read from this post is that you paid for a portion of my solar.
I'm unwilling to cut down my trees..

If Solar And Wind Are So Cheap, Why Are They Making Electricity So Expensive?

"expert" " :laugh2:
"dailycaller" :laughing0301:

can you laugh off Forbes?

facts are the taxpayer is keeping these green companies alive with our tax dollars, not our pay checks.

it's a scam

The cost of finding oil is a business expense. Why shouldn't it be deductible just like any other business expense? I can deduct the cost of my laptop, computer bag, any software I purchase, headphones, you name it. Are those subsidies?

Those may be legitimate subsidies, but you have to subtract them from the hundreds of billions the oil companies pay in taxes every year. State and federal excise taxes on gasoline come to about $100 billion. Then there are the income taxes that oil companies pay.

So link to them.

I didn't have any trees at that height and I placed my panels on my roof where that won't be a future issue.

I didn't have any trees at that height and I placed my panels on my roof where that won't be a future issue.
Do you still get juice when the mains from the electric company is down and out?

Do you still get juice when the mains from the electric company is down and out?

Nope, if the utility company goes down then so do I. The only way to avoid that is to have a battery back up and go off the grid. Batteries right now are not cost effective but as the price continues to drop it's something I'm hoping to invest in. However in reality the only thing I could save by going off the grid altogether is about $20 bucks a month which is all my utility bill is today and that's not for using energy but just being connected.

Also, you really are on your own at that point and I imagine if you're the only house to lose power on your street that it must be a pretty lonely feeling.

Nope, if the utility company goes down then so do I. The only way to avoid that is to have a battery back up and go off the grid. Batteries right now are not cost effective but as the price continues to drop it's something I'm hoping to invest in. However in reality the only thing I could save by going off the grid altogether is about $20 bucks a month which is all my utility bill is today and that's not for using energy but just being connected.

Also, you really are on your own at that point and I imagine if you're the only house to lose power on your street that it must be a pretty lonely feeling.
If my power goes so does two miles of homes on my road....I'm the first one off the junction...

If my power goes so does two miles of homes on my road....I'm the first one off the junction...

When we lose power it's pretty epic. I live in a development that is pretty remote and our power lines can be difficult to get to and a portion use wood poles. During several storms a couple of years ago a series of the poles snapped and it took a couple days to fix them, smack dab in the middle of summer. At least they replaced with metal poles.

As well as the us is producing alot more oil yet prices are racing up. But we should fall on our knees and thank the oil companies. If American companies are exporting oil made here that makes me go hmmmmmmm. We were told all extra oil made would be kept here. Lists.

Oh yes, we need salvation from environmentalists. :21:

Yes I will focus on government kick backs because without it, the investment will not pay off. In fact you would likely be at a loss in the long run.

Yes I will focus on government kick backs because without it, the investment will not pay off. In fact you would likely be at a loss in the long run.

Actually the investment will pay off regardless, it's a matter of an additional 2-3 years without the tax subsidy and immediately adds value to my property. You're trying really hard (in reality just being lazy) to show that solar panels are not a good investment and you can't and it's obvious you're just reaching for something.

Piss off, I'm saving money.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
There's nothing informative about anything that Bripat posts. The fact is my former property in Coronado California generated enough energy to charge the batteries which ran the house power throughout the night.

It's really much more of a dependability factor. Maybe those batteries can keep a house powered one night, but what about the next night if no wind comes along?

Our wind is so strong here at times you can almost use a milk carton for a kite. Yet very few places invested in wind power. In the entire area of Cleveland, I'm only aware of four or five windmills and most of them are small ones.

One of our customers outside of Cleveland but still near Lake Erie where the winds come from had a windmill. One day I made a delivery there and noticed the windmill was gone. I asked the owner of the company WTF happened to the windmill? He was a big lib and pro-environment kind of guy. He just waived his hands down and said Ahhhhh.

Generally by electric bill for my home is about $55.00 a month. Think of how many years it would take me to break even if I invested in solar panels or a windmill.

I didn't have wind power, solar only.

If you had solar and wind, you'd get a check every month from your power company.

Why would you NOT get some of you money back, Hannity did.

Begala: Sean Hannity is a 'welfare queen' (opinion) - CNN

The US supposedly became oil independent again because of fracking and the new abundance of oil, yet gasoline prices are climbing through the roof.

Wind and solar are still emerging energy technologies so costs compared to return will be higher and start coming down, which they have been, over time until they are cheaper than fossil fuels which is becoming reality.

But some cling to the past like whalers clinging to the whale oil industry. Their industry vanished and was replaced by newer more efficient means, as the oil industry is experiencing now. Embrace the horror.

ask the Germans. that's all you need to do. Ask the Germans.

The US supposedly became oil independent again because of fracking and the new abundance of oil, yet gasoline prices are climbing through the roof.

Wind and solar are still emerging energy technologies so costs compared to return will be higher and start coming down, which they have been, over time until they are cheaper than fossil fuels which is becoming reality.

But some cling to the past like whalers clinging to the whale oil industry. Their industry vanished and was replaced by newer more efficient means, as the oil industry is experiencing now. Embrace the horror.

Uh, wrong. Emerging technologies are successful because the are cheaper than existing technology, not because they are more expensive. Kerosene was far cheaper than whale oil. Cars were cheaper than a horse and buggy. They were also much cleaner and healthier. They didn't leave mountains of horse manure around that attracted flies.

Snowflakes delude themselves into believing that solar and wind power are following the same tragectory as any other technology. That idea couldn't be more wrong.

The environmental wackos have been claiming that so-called "green energy" is cheaper, but the rest of us know better. Now here's the proof.

A prominent environmental activist took the unusual road of not only blaming rising electricity costs squarely on renewable sources, but also for deriding the mainstream media for ignoring the connection.

Michael Shellenberger, the president and founder of Environmental Progress, explained in a Forbes blog post Monday how the unreliability of renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar, is the main reason why electricity bills around the world have been getting higher.

Despite renewable energy technology slowly becoming more affordable, Shellenberger notes, electricity costs are still rising because of the unpredictable nature of wind and solar. Both sources produce excess energy when consumers don’t need them, and they don’t produce enough when needed the most.

For example, solar panels produce large amounts of energy throughout the day, but are unable to generate power at night when residents are more dependent on electricity to keep the lights on. Wind energy is notably unpredictable given how wind fluctuates substantially from day-to-day. The end result becoming other, more reliable sources of energy are relied upon to churn out power at a moment’s notice when renewables flop. Better yet, regions that produce too much wind and solar power have to pay — not sell — others to take the power off their hands, further spiking costs.

Interesting theory- no data to support the theory.

He also is a big proponent of Nuclear power(as am I) and of course supports efforts to combat human caused global warming.

You agree with him on everything right?

New Topics

Forum List

Back