Zone1 Will Trump Get Bernied?

That was the concern of Trump supporters in 2016 – that the ‘establishment’ would do something to undermine Trump winning the nomination.

Indeed, that’s where ‘stop the steal’ originated, during the 2016 primary, not the 2020 general election; Trump’s people were planning a campaign claiming the 2016 nomination was ‘stolen’ from Trump.

If there is an effort to sabotage a potential Trump candidacy, it would have to be clandestine – Trump and his supporters are already hyper-paranoid about such a thing.
I'm not sure how much stealth could be deployed if, you had a 2020 Democratic Primary type of move where Mayor Pete, Amy, Warren and Bloomberg all withdrew in the same month. Also given the paranoia in the average Trump supporter, its doubtful that it wouldn't be alleged if it were or were not even happening.

A bigger question(s) though is, if there is this sort of movement afoot for traditional republicans, is who is the candidate, and would it matter if the MAGA faction (I almost said coalition but there is no coalition) knows if there is this movement afoot?

The GOP primary system is pretty much winner-take-all wall to wall. So its either win or go home... in most of these cases.

Mitt didn't run in 2016, of course. And JEB! isn't the only Bush brother out there that's eligible. Neil or Marvin could make a run as well.

Yeah, just what the US needs, a fucking family dynasty.

No thanks.

Not even remotely true.
How do you figure CC? Both Sleepy Joe and Crazy Bernie agree on Gay Marriage, abortion, gun control, legal dope, and appeasement to BLM.

There really isn't any daylight between the political platforms of the two men.
Don't stop there:
- Both want children to be able to be groomed for trans-surgery before adulthood.
- Both want to attack the performance of society in the name of the green movement.
- Both regularly condemn the very country they owe their livelihoods to.
- Both want larger central government, higher taxes, and less liberty.

I could keep going and going.

Don't stop there:
- Both want children to be able to be groomed for trans-surgery before adulthood.
- Both want to attack the performance of society in the name of the green movement.
- Both regularly condemn the very country they owe their livelihoods to.
- Both want larger central government, higher taxes, and less liberty.

I could keep going and going.
White 6

We're supposed to self-police threads apparently.

Can you ask this poster to get back on topic?

How is this not on topic?

You made a distinction between Biden and Bernie.. I'm questioning that.

If you don't want to talk about something, don't bring it up.

You are correct. There is little difference between Bernie and xiden save one aspect.

Bernie was the PEOPLES choice. Xiden was the choice of obummer and co.

How is this not on topic?

You made a distinction between Biden and Bernie.. I'm questioning that.

If you don't want to talk about something, don't bring it up.
Bernie was for a $15 minimum wage.
Biden wasn't.

Bernie was for tuition free public colleges.
Biden wasn't.

There were any number of other items Bernie was for that Biden was against.

====

That isn't the topic of the thread though. The topic was that Bernie was an outsider (not a democrat) as Trump was an outsider to the GOP. Bernie had won 2 of the first 3 contests and was on his way to winning the nomination. The democrats brokered a counter-offensive to short-circuit Bernie's campaign.

The question I posed in the OP was whether this will happen to Trump. It isn't about the 2020 Democratic Party Primary.

Bernie was for a $15 minimum wage.
Biden wasn't.
He is now:

A job is about more than a paycheck. It’s about dignity. When I was running for president, I said it was past time to increase the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour. Last year, I made a down payment on that pledge with Executive Orders directing my Administration to work toward ensuring that employees working on federal contracts and federal employees earned a $15 per hour minimum wage.

Bernie was for tuition free public colleges.
Biden wasn't.
Biden is for the same goal, just different means. Biden is for cancelling student debt, and the end goal is the same as Bernie's: to get as many people into leftist-dominated college as possible.. despite whether they want to do something that benefits society or not.
That isn't the topic of the thread though.
Then don't openly portray Biden and Bernie as opposite sides of the party when they're not.

He is now:

A job is about more than a paycheck. It’s about dignity. When I was running for president, I said it was past time to increase the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour. Last year, I made a down payment on that pledge with Executive Orders directing my Administration to work toward ensuring that employees working on federal contracts and federal employees earned a $15 per hour minimum wage.

Biden is for the same goal, just different means. Biden is for cancelling student debt, and the end goal is the same as Bernie's: to get as many people into leftist-dominated college as possible.. despite whether they want to do something that benefits society or not.

Then don't openly portray Biden and Bernie as opposite sides of the party when they're not.
They are opposite sides of the party. We can argue on another thread about that if you want.

That isn't the point of this thread however. Please cease.

Clearly the 2020 Democratic Primary was brokered by someone within the party; I'm guessing Obama. To make four candidates who still had a viable chance to at least compete for the nomination drop out within a month was orchestrated to derail Sanders from becoming the nominee. It was the right thing to do by Klobuchar and Mayor Pete. Their support went to Biden and the lunatic fringe wing of the Democratic party couldn't capitalize on the conventional wing not having their vote split.

For the GOP in 2024, it is interesting to see if such a thing happens on the right to Trump if he decides to run again. He lost by 8M votes last time. And the negatives are off the charts going into 2024. I'm curious if there is a movement afoot in the GOP to sabotage a potential Trump candidacy. This can take many forms. In the case of the Democrats, they (again--whoever brokered it) didn't offer Warren up as Bernie-lite, they gave an alternative. Will someone get to one of the loudmouths and try to convince him to run as Trump-lite? Or will someone try to broker and steer the party away from the cliff?
Sounds like wishful thinking by the Democratic party that is scared to death of Donald Trump.

There's no debating that since it's so obvious.

I'm not sure how much stealth could be deployed if, you had a 2020 Democratic Primary type of move where Mayor Pete, Amy, Warren and Bloomberg all withdrew in the same month. Also given the paranoia in the average Trump supporter, its doubtful that it wouldn't be alleged if it were or were not even happening.

A bigger question(s) though is, if there is this sort of movement afoot for traditional republicans, is who is the candidate, and would it matter if the MAGA faction (I almost said coalition but there is no coalition) knows if there is this movement afoot?

The GOP primary system is pretty much winner-take-all wall to wall. So its either win or go home... in most of these cases.
If Trump supporters caught wind of a plan to keep the nomination from Trump, they’d scream bloody murder and threaten to take control of the nominating convention by force.

Fear of the Trump mob is palpable in the GOP.

If by ‘traditional Republicans’ we mean Republicans who want to take back the WH in 2024 knowing that won’t happen with Trump as the nominee, they’ll have to wait with the rest of us until this time next year to see who is running, what the polls are showing, and if President Biden is running for re-election.

A frontrunner should be known at that point, and if that’s not Trump, ‘traditional Republicans’ will likely back that candidate.

But it’s impossible now to know who that candidate is; anti-Trump Republicans don’t know who that candidate is.

If Trump supporters caught wind of a plan to keep the nomination from Trump, they’d scream bloody murder and threaten to take control of the nominating convention by force.

Fear of the Trump mob is palpable in the GOP.
Trump supporters don't need the plan to actually exist. If Trump isn't the nominee, there will be any number of boogeymen created to explain it.
If by ‘traditional Republicans’ we mean Republicans who want to take back the WH in 2024 knowing that won’t happen with Trump as the nominee, they’ll have to wait with the rest of us until this time next year to see who is running, what the polls are showing, and if President Biden is running for re-election.

A frontrunner should be known at that point, and if that’s not Trump, ‘traditional Republicans’ will likely back that candidate.

But it’s impossible now to know who that candidate is; anti-Trump Republicans don’t know who that candidate is.
Well, Biden wasn't the front runner until Mayor Pete and Amy dropped out and endorsed him like one day apart from one another.

That is sort of my question....lets say it's Cruz, Trump, DeSantis, Haley, and a few governors. If Trump wins New Hampshire and South Carolina, do you think a few of the also-rans will fall on the sword and unite behind an alternative.

Trump supporters don't need the plan to actually exist. If Trump isn't the nominee, there will be any number of boogeymen created to explain it.

Well, Biden wasn't the front runner until Mayor Pete and Amy dropped out and endorsed him like one day apart from one another.

That is sort of my question....lets say it's Cruz, Trump, DeSantis, Haley, and a few governors. If Trump wins New Hampshire and South Carolina, do you think a few of the also-rans will fall on the sword and unite behind an alternative.
C_Clayton_Jones Your thoughts?

That is how Trump won in 2016

Too many Republican candidpates who were too stubborn to drop out. Trump had about 25 percent of the base and the other six candidates divided the rest.
It was enough for Trump to win the primaries

You forgot the main stream media. I've seen estimates that the media during the 2016 election primary season gave Donald Trump as much as one billion (that's right BILLION) in free advertising and publicity. Mainly because they thought Trump had no chance of beating Hillary Clinton. This is one major reason the media hates Trump so much.

Wish to see people running for public office that are NOT party hacks, not party over country. those interested in a healthy balance of power, The extremes from both sides are messed up. Its embarrassing, My way or else, is no way to run a country.

Forum List

Back