Will someone please explain to me how the Republicans 'gained' seats in the Senate?

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
They had a +6 margin over the Democrats going into the midterms (52-46). And now they (apparently) have a +4 margin over the Democrats (51-47)...if I am not mistaken.

So where did the Republicans 'gain' that I keep reading about?

They had a +6 margin over the Democrats going into the midterms (52-46). And now they (apparently) have a +4 margin over the Democrats (51-47)...if I am not mistaken.

Well you see we had a election, and we got more votes then they did. You must be a new citizen to the USA

The Blue Wave drizzled out

• Banned

Well you see we had a election, and we got more votes then they did. You must be a new citizen to the USA

Votes are irrelevant to voting in the Senate. Seats are what count.

So you are saying that even though the Reps appeared to have their margin of superiority reduced - you consider it a victory because they got (apparently) more votes than the Dems did?

So noted.

Votes are irrelevant to voting in the Senate..

WTF?

Before the election:
Despite a seemingly energized grassroots electorate, the Democratic Party had been viewed as a long shot to take back control of the Senate where Republicans currently hold a narrow majority of 51 seats to 49 seats for Democrats.

Senate election results: Republicans keep majority, CNN projects - CNNPolitics

After:
As the sun rose in the nation's capital Wednesday, McConnell emerged as the biggest winner of the 2018 midterm elections. Republicans looked to have increased their 51-49 majority to as many as 54 seats:

Republicans' Senate wins will help President Trump, his judicial and Cabinet nominees, and GOP chances in 2020

51-49 v. 54-46, if it holds.

Last edited:

Votes are irrelevant to voting in the Senate. Seats are what count.

So you are saying that even though the Reps appeared to have their margin of superiority reduced - you consider it a victory because they got (apparently) more votes than the Dems did?

So noted.

"Three million illegals" find this point hilarious.

And the Democrats got 12 million more votes.

Republicans don't win elections. Not by the people anyway.

Despite a seemingly energized grassroots electorate, the Democratic Party had been viewed as a long shot to take back control of the Senate where Republicans currently hold a narrow majority of 51 seats to 49 seats for Democrats.

That's impossible. Two Senators, who were both re-elected, have no party. So your Duopoly numbers cannot add up to 100.

Dems are busy stuffing the ballot boxes in Arizona, they’ll try to steal that one too.

What? Lol

This thread is hilarious

you still don't know how are country votes. wow.

That's impossible. Two Senators, who were both re-elected, have no party. So your Duopoly numbers cannot add up to 100.

Yes, well I was quoting CNN.... :lol:

Yes, well I was quoting CNN.... :lol:

I know. Note the wording.

Forum List

Back