Will Ryan and the GOP win the "War on the Elderly"?

It's just a matter of time until middle American wakes up. Republicans should be concerned, because there is going to be a massive backlash against them and conservatism in general.

:lol: Yeah keep telling yourself that :lol:

if thats the case..... give them their rope, and let them and their selves :cuckoo:

There are no cuts in Medicare and no changes for current seniors. Spending is still increased but people under 55 would have a choice as to what plan they would like, just like Medicare part b which is very popular and is saving money the current model cannot work, it is not sustainable as is plus too much government control and doctors are loosing money, a lot of them stopped accepting Medicare. Get off you stupid talking points, Medicare needs to be reformed.:eusa_eh:

I heard the GOP wants to cut 500 Billion from Medicare! Can you believe that shit?

Oh wait. That's the Democrats.

The $500 billion in "cuts" is really the reduction in the future growth of Medicare over 10 years, and it's intended to make the program more efficient. The law also includes new benefits for Medicare that would improve quality.

PolitiFact | Republican exaggerations about cutting Medicare

Really dude. REally? You just throw nthat out and expect no one to call you out?

Even if what you said was true on a face value, the republicans want gut the entire program!

70% of THE TEA PARTY disagree's with that dumb ryan plan. There are a lot of seniors or soon to be seniors who are saying, leave medicare alone.

They are running from Ryan...and his dumb plan

Guess thats why the Obama regime keeps having to issue waivers for this POS healthcare bill. :confused:

Obama administration eases pain of Medicare cuts - USATODAY.com

" Millions of seniors in popular private insurance plans offered through Medicare will be getting a reprieve from some of the most controversial cuts in President Obama’s health care law."

:cuckoo:

Horsehit.

Something has to be done. The Dems want to do nothing.

The debt needs to be paid down, not left to fester. The S&P fired a warning-shot and Obama played it down like it was meaningless. This is irresponsible at best. If interest rates start going up all hell is gonna break loose and Obama can't blame that on Bush.
Absolute truth.....The S&P downgrade is the warning of seriously bad things to come....No lame flower filled, rainbow laden speeches from Obama's teleprompter is going to change that fact.

The liberal wing of the dem party, too include the teleprompter, now has no choice but to accept the fact that serious cuts must be done. Taxing the top 1% out their ass, while continuing to spend like drunken sailors on shore leave will not solve the problem.

The problem with all you suggest is that we cannot, and I repeat, cannot cut $1.6 trillion from the budget. Every time someone has a suggestion, your stupid response is we must cut spending because you can't tax the rich enough to pay off the debt. Well, just like we can't get enough to fix the problem just by taxing the rich, we also cannot make enough cuts to balance the budget.

And nobody is suggesting that we tax the rich that much anyway, but you don't want to tax anybody. And even though the rich are only paying about 17% in taxes, you still say it is too much. It's laughable. What I do support is ending the Bush tax cuts, across the board. Hell, the middle class would feel it more than the rich, at least based on how you told us the rich got the smallest benefit from the Bush tax cuts to begin with. Ending the Bush tax cuts would hurt, but it would raise revenue. Secondly, we most definitely need to cut defense spending. Next, we could cut 10% across the board from all non-entitlement spending. Last of all, we could raise the retirement age gradually, but not too gradually, to 70 years. That would save an awful lot, especially in Medicare, without reducing benefits once people become eligible.

But, go ahead, tell me how you would suggest cutting $1.6 trillion in spending. I really want to hear this, because most of you keep suggesting we can do it, but you never tell us how.

Why can't we cut $1.6 trillion from the budget? It wasn't that long ago that the entire budget wasn't that high, so cutting it back by that much will not cause the world to implode.

I heard the GOP wants to cut 500 Billion from Medicare! Can you believe that shit?

Oh wait. That's the Democrats.

The $500 billion in "cuts" is really the reduction in the future growth of Medicare over 10 years, and it's intended to make the program more efficient. The law also includes new benefits for Medicare that would improve quality.

PolitiFact | Republican exaggerations about cutting Medicare

Really dude. REally? You just throw nthat out and expect no one to call you out?

Even if what you said was true on a face value, the republicans want gut the entire program!

70% of THE TEA PARTY disagree's with that dumb ryan plan. There are a lot of seniors or soon to be seniors who are saying, leave medicare alone.

They are running from Ryan...and his dumb plan

That planned spending is the same area Ryan wants to cut, and his plan doesn't include magical numbers that make it work. It sucks as an answer, but it is a place to start from. Can you give me the details of Obama's counter proposal, or does it rely solely on wishful thinking?

As former Labor Secretary Robert Reich said on National Public Radio last week, "In the 1950s, the top marginal income tax rate was 91 percent. Now it's 35 percent. ... Meanwhile, capital gains and dividends - a big chunk of (wealthy people's) income - were taxed at 35 percent as recently as the late 1980s. Now, they're taxed at 15 percent."

Harrington said that when he began his research into poverty in the late 1950s, "for most Americans to be old was to be poor."

And those who were poor and old, as he wrote in "The Other America," were likely to suffer: "The aged members of the other America are often sick, and they cannot move. Another group of them live out their lives in loneliness and frustration: They sit in rented rooms, or else they stay close to a house in a neighborhood that has completely changed from the old days. Indeed, one of the worst aspects of poverty among the aged is that these people are out of sight and out of mind, and alone."

Ryan's budget plan mounts war on the elderly and poor | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

---------------------------

Since Republicans took office in many places nationwide after the last election, where they ran on a platform of "Jobs, jobs, jobs", there have been many "Wars" with varying success.

The War on Women's rights
The War on Teachers and Nurses
The War on Unions
The War on Immigrants

Will the "War on the Elderly" be one they can completely win? What about their "War on the Disabled"?

Now what if those old poor folks had saved some money instead of spending it all and relying on there social security ? If that were the case, then they would not be poor and old. We have to get old. We dont have a choice about that. But if we decide to fight for and collect a government hand out then we are nothing more then bums looking for the government to drop spare change in to our tin cups. I feel your concern as well as the authors but to think that say Dick Durban gives a shit and and Ryan doesn't make sense because none of them give a shit about anything but there jobs up on the hill or the white house. Fuck Paul Ryan and the rest and they can keep there hands off my retirement. I will take care of that my self.

No working person in the USA makes enough to really pay for a serious illness.

If you doubt that then just look at the national median net worth stats broken down by average age

Under 25

$1,475

under-25.gif
25-34

$8,525

25_34.gif
35-44

$51,575

35_44.gif
45-54

$98,350

45_54.gif
55-64

$180,125

55_64.gif

source

And the above isn't measuring people's CASH postions, this is the value of all assets (many of which are hardly liquid)

So let's get real, shall we?

Serious long term illness will take more cash that most people's net worth.

The following are prices of fairly common health problems, problems that most of us will face....heart disease and cancer.

Average price for open heart surgery? $125, 200

A Harvard University, National Cancer Institute, and National Bureau of Economic Research researchers, published in the December 1, 2007 issue of Cancer, finds that average life-expectancy for lung cancer patients rose by less than one month between 1983 and 1997, while costs rose by over $20,000 per patient.

Cost-effectiveness, as measured by the cost of an additional year of life gained, was poor, with a high average cost of $403,142. When analyzed by disease severity, the cost per additional year gained for local and regional disease was $143,614 and $45,861, respectively. For metastatic cancer, the cost per additional year gained was $1,190,322.2

source

Bottom line is is this...the cost of modern medicine is higher than those with anything remotely approaching a median income can possibly afford "out of pocket".

So we can change the way we pay, we can change who pays, too, but until we get the cost of modern medicine back in line with incomes?

This health care issue is going to continue to be a serious problem.

If you doubt that then just look at the national median net worth stats broken down by average age

Under 25

$1,475

under-25.gif
25-34

$8,525

25_34.gif
35-44

$51,575

35_44.gif
45-54

$98,350

45_54.gif
55-64

$180,125

55_64.gif

source

And the above isn't measuring people's CASH postions, this is the value of all assets (many of which are hardly liquid)

The following are prices of fairly common health problems, problems that most of us will face....heart disease and cancer.

A Harvard University, National Cancer Institute, and National Bureau of Economic Research researchers, published in the December 1, 2007 issue of Cancer, finds that average life-expectancy for lung cancer patients rose by less than one month between 1983 and 1997, while costs rose by over $20,000 per patient.

Cost-effectiveness, as measured by the cost of an additional year of life gained, was poor, with a high average cost of $403,142. When analyzed by disease severity, the cost per additional year gained for local and regional disease was $143,614 and $45,861, respectively. For metastatic cancer, the cost per additional year gained was $1,190,322.2

source

Bottom line is is this...the cost of modern medicine is higher than those with anything remotely approaching a median income can possibly afford "out of pocket".

So we can change the way we pay, we can change who pays, too, but until we get the cost of modern medicine back in line with incomes?

According to your charts the rich are also seniors.

So if Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich isn't he screwing our seniors?:eusa_whistle:

Under 25

$1,475

under-25.gif
25-34

$8,525

25_34.gif
35-44

$51,575

35_44.gif
45-54

$98,350

45_54.gif
55-64

$180,125

55_64.gif

source

source

The health issue is not that hard. I was diagnosed as a stage 3 grade 4 Hepatitis-c patent in 2005. The meds I needed cost $1,475 a month and I made $8.25 an hour and had no insurance. Know how I got them ? I asked Rouch for them and they gave them to me for free. This is common among drug companys. I got to go to work. Have a good day all.

Under 25

$1,475

under-25.gif
25-34

$8,525

25_34.gif
35-44

$51,575

35_44.gif
45-54

$98,350

45_54.gif
55-64

$180,125

55_64.gif

source

source

The health issue is not that hard. I was diagnosed as a stage 3 grade 4 Hepatitis-c patent in 2005. The meds I needed cost $1,475 a month and I made $8.25 an hour and had no insurance. Know how I got them ? I asked Rouch for them and they gave them to me for free. This is common among drug companys. I got to go to work. Have a good day all.

Well thats easy isn't it?

The answer seems to be if our medical costs are too high, we should just ask for the drug or treatment for free

Why can't we cut $1.6 trillion from the budget? It wasn't that long ago that the entire budget wasn't that high, so cutting it back by that much will not cause the world to implode.

Everyone knows I'm no economist, but I'd guess it probably has a lot to do with how much the value of a dollar has dropped.....
:confused:

Everyone knows I'm no economist, but I'd guess it probably has a lot to do with how much the value of a dollar has dropped.....
:confused:

Can you explain to me why the price of the government has consistently outpaced inflation then? If, as you imply, it was actually tied to the value of a dollar it would increase at about the same rate as inflation.

Under 25

$1,475

under-25.gif
25-34

$8,525

25_34.gif
35-44

$51,575

35_44.gif
45-54

$98,350

45_54.gif
55-64

$180,125

55_64.gif

source

source

The answer seems to be if our medical costs are too high, we should just ask for the drug or treatment for free

I did not ask for it, the Dr. told me about it. There is also places like needymeds.com that will help you to if you need medication. I was also lucky to have had a Dr. who would work with me on his bill. He didn't even charge me for most of the visits.

I did not ask for it, the Dr. told me about it. There is also places like needymeds.com that will help you to if you need medication. I was also lucky to have had a Dr. who would work with me on his bill. He didn't even charge me for most of the visits.
So Socialized Medicine is A-OK with CON$ if you don't ask for it.
Check!

Check!

Wasn't socialized medicine, it was charity. The government had nothing to do with it at all. Had I lived in Canada I would have waited a year or more to have started that treatment if I got it at all.

Check!

Wasn't socialized medicine, it was charity. The government had nothing to do with it at all. Had I lived in Canada I would have waited a year or more to have started that treatment if I got it at all.
Charity is PC for Socialism.

Your side is completly against anything even resembling socialism, yet here youare with your hand out asking for help.

You are the ulitmate hypocrite. YOu really, honestly and truly are. Wow.

Forum List

Back