Will Rubio's Endorsement of Romney Bring him the TEA Party Vote?

Oct 8, 2009
YAY!

Yesterday, GOP darling Marco Rubio endorsed Mitt Romney for POTUS. Since I have a lot of respect for Rubio, I'm glad he agrees with me that Romney is the guy that the right wing should be backing.

Since Marco is the darling of the TEA Party, is this gonna bring Romney more support from this critical group?

Marco Rubio endorses Mitt Romney for Republican nominee | World news | guardian.co.uk

Republican presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney's bandwagon is gaining speed, with Florida senator Marco Rubio, one of the most sought-after endorsements, announcing on Wednesday night he will back him.

Rubio is one of the rising stars of the party and seen as a future presidential candidate. He is popular with the Tea party and, as a Cuban-American, might win over some of the Latino voters being lost as a result of the party's immigration policy.

He is frequently mentioned at the top of lists speculating on whom Romney might pick as his running mate.

I really don't understand how people think Romney is the best GOP choice (unless we're going simply by the compare of the other 2 choices). The man is a complete flip flopper and lies about it. That makes his credibility to do the will of the people completely shot. Who knows what he'll do if granted executive privilege. Most of all, he's not even a conservative.

• Banned
I really don't understand how people think Romney is the best GOP choice (unless we're going simply by the compare of the other 2 choices). The man is a complete flip flopper and lies about it. That makes his credibility to do the will of the people completely shot. Who knows what he'll do if granted executive privilege. Most of all, he's not even a conservative.

That's not the topic. The topic is quite straight forward.... since the TEA Parties love Rubio... will his endorsement help Romney bring in their votes?

Rubio is highly thought of by conservatives.

I think his endorsment will certainly help Romney.

It sure as hell won't hurt him.

I have no idea. The TEA Party is pretty factional these days. Quite the contrast from their beginnings in 2007. I'm sure some will endorse Romney.

• Banned

Yea, that is my thinking. Rubio does carry a lot of weight with the TEA Parties... he's not a 'party' man... he's quite an independent thinker.... which is why I respect him. I like what he had to say about Romney... it confirms other feedback I've had about him.

I'd like to see Rubio as VP, but I don't think he'd take the job if offered.

Yea, that is my thinking. Rubio does carry a lot of weight with the TEA Parties... he's not a 'party' man... he's quite an independent thinker.... which is why I respect him. I like what he had to say about Romney... it confirms other feedback I've had about him.

I agree.

As for VP. I agree also. Rubio is smart enough to know he doesn't have the experience for the job and I doubt he would accept.

Too bad Barry Boy wasn't that smart.

• Banned
I have no idea. The TEA Party is pretty factional these days. Quite the contrast from their beginnings in 2007. I'm sure some will endorse Romney.

I don't think they are - at least not on the important issues... their 10 points.... they are on social issues but, from what I know personally of the TEA Parties, they can differentiate between social and fiscal issues enough to back Romney. I'm not usually that interested in 'endorsements'.... but this one surprised me, I have to say. I thought Rubio wouldn't endorse anyone. I'm pleased that he decided to back Romney.

I really don't understand how people think Romney is the best GOP choice (unless we're going simply by the compare of the other 2 choices).

Well, that's pretty much it. He's the best of the three, such as it is. Daniels, Christie and Bush couldn't run, so that's what ya get.

Daniels' wife wouldn't let him (must be some skeletons), Jeb couldn't run because his last name is so soiled (can't blame him), and Christy says he isn't ready (seems like an honest guy, I'll buy that).

So, they're stuck with Mitt. He's the best! Yay! Very exciting!

I'm glad he agrees with me that Romney is the guy that the right wing should be backing.

Why do you feel that?

Frankly, Romney looks pretty weak to me.[/QUOTE]

Because I've done my homework on the guy. I like what I found. He is head and shoulders above the other options.... and, frankly, other than a few - such as Rubio and Christie - he's one of the best GOP candidates. He's not the 'best of a bad bunch' to me... he's actually someone that I'll vote for.... and I haven't voted GOP for POTUS since I've been eligible to vote. I haven't voted Dem either.... usually, I despise both parties pretty equally.

Because I've done my homework on the guy. I like what I found. He is head and shoulders above the other options.... and, frankly, other than a few - such as Rubio and Christie - he's one of the best GOP candidates. He's not the 'best of a bad bunch' to me... he's actually someone that I'll vote for.... and I haven't voted GOP for POTUS since I've been eligible to vote. I haven't voted Dem either.... usually, I despise both parties pretty equally.

Well, glad you're making an informed choice. I haven't really followed any of the current leading GOP contenders in the past (Gingrich I know best because of his time as speaker). None of them has really given me a good feeling so far.

Not really my choice anyway, since I'm not a US citizen.

I have no problem with Romney and will certainly vote for him if he's the nom. He's head and shoulders above Barry in my book.

Of course I'm and Indi not a right, right wing Conservative and who knows they will support??

I think Rubios endorsment won't hurt him at all.

I have no problem with Romney and will certainly vote for him if he's the nom. He's head and shoulders above Barry in my book.

Of course I'm and Indi not a right, right wing Conservative and who knows they will support??

I'll go left on quite a few 'social' issues... but I prefer my politics and my social issues to be separate. If people want to legislate 'social' issues, do it at a state level. There is no Constitutional remit for the federal government to legislate social shit.

Knowing Marco, I believe he would take the job if the party convinced him that he gave Romney the best chance for a win. He's young enough, has the charisma, looks and following to make him a very viable successor to Romney 8 years from now.
Rubio in the second spot would guarantee Florida and gain a good percentage of the Hispanic vote.
I'm not convinced that Romney is the best candidate, but he's the best in the race, at this point. What bothers me is he's a McCain/Dole candidate; chosen for us by the MSM.

I'll go left on quite a few 'social' issues... but I prefer my politics and my social issues to be separate. If people want to legislate 'social' issues, do it at a state level. There is no Constitutional remit for the federal government to legislate social shit.

:clap2: Right there with ya girl...........there are some things the Federal Government doesn't need to do.

The size, power and authority of today's Federal Government far exceeds the vision established in the Constitution and by its Framers. Slowly and surely over the decades many of our freedoms have been regulated, legislated and controlled by an unfettered growth and power from a government that in many ways no longer answers to the authority of the people but to the power of those elected.

The Federal Government was established to guard and secure our freedoms not to legislate, tax and regulate the people into dependents and in a very real sense servants of the government.

In 1788 during the Constitutional ratifying Convention in New York, Alexander Hamilton described the Federal Government as follows:

"The great leading objects of the federal government, in which revenue is concerned, are to maintain domestic peace, and provide for the common defense. In these are comprehended the regulation of commerce that is, the whole system of foreign intercourse; the support of armies and navies, and of the civil administration."

Hamilton described a government limited in power yet created for the security and cohesiveness of the nation.

In 1821 Thomas Jefferson warned of the consequences of an unfettered and limitless government:

"When all government, domestic and foreign, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another."

The Constitution Series: THE CONSTITUTION PART XI - LIMITED GOVERNMENT

Forum List

Back