Will Rubio's Endorsement of Romney Bring him the TEA Party Vote?

Rubio is highly thought of by conservatives.

I think his endorsment will certainly help Romney.

It sure as hell won't hurt him.

Yea, that is my thinking. Rubio does carry a lot of weight with the TEA Parties... he's not a 'party' man... he's quite an independent thinker.... which is why I respect him. I like what he had to say about Romney... it confirms other feedback I've had about him.

I'd like to see Rubio as VP, but I don't think he'd take the job if offered.
Knowing Marco, I believe he would take the job if the party convinced him that he gave Romney the best chance for a win. He's young enough, has the charisma, looks and following to make him a very viable successor to Romney 8 years from now.
Rubio in the second spot would guarantee Florida and gain a good percentage of the Hispanic vote.
I'm not convinced that Romney is the best candidate, but he's the best in the race, at this point. What bothers me is he's a McCain/Dole candidate; chosen for us by the MSM.

He really isn't a 'McCain/Dole'. One of the things I like about him is his ability to work with the Democrats... I know other conservatives might disagree but - whether we like it or not - this country belongs to ALL Americans. We owe it to our country to find ground that both sides can walk.... look at what happens when we don't? Eight years of a clusterfuck on the right, followed by four years of left wing bullshit.... I'm tired of that.

YAY!

Yesterday, GOP darling Marco Rubio endorsed Mitt Romney for POTUS. Since I have a lot of respect for Rubio, I'm glad he agrees with me that Romney is the guy that the right wing should be backing.

Since Marco is the darling of the TEA Party, is this gonna bring Romney more support from this critical group?

Marco Rubio endorses Mitt Romney for Republican nominee | World news | guardian.co.uk

Republican presidential frontrunner Mitt Romney's bandwagon is gaining speed, with Florida senator Marco Rubio, one of the most sought-after endorsements, announcing on Wednesday night he will back him.

Rubio is one of the rising stars of the party and seen as a future presidential candidate. He is popular with the Tea party and, as a Cuban-American, might win over some of the Latino voters being lost as a result of the party's immigration policy.

He is frequently mentioned at the top of lists speculating on whom Romney might pick as his running mate.

I don't think it will change your average tea partiers view of Romney at all. Tea Partiers are a pretty stuborn and self-aware group who aren't swayed by the comments of people like Rubio all that much.

I personally only have one issue with Romney, which is Romneycare's impact on my personal life, but other than that I felt his decisions as my governor were in line with what I wanted him to do....which means I will be supporting him without having a bad taste in my mouth over it.

I'm glad he agrees with me that Romney is the guy that the right wing should be backing.

Why do you feel that?

Frankly, Romney looks pretty weak to me.

Because I've done my homework on the guy. I like what I found. He is head and shoulders above the other options.... and, frankly, other than a few - such as Rubio and Christie - he's one of the best GOP candidates. He's not the 'best of a bad bunch' to me... he's actually someone that I'll vote for.... and I haven't voted GOP for POTUS since I've been eligible to vote. I haven't voted Dem either.... usually, I despise both parties pretty equally.[/QUOTE]

Slightly off the topic of TEA Party endorsements for Romney, but can you elaborate on what you found that you like?

From just some main stream talking points;

Romney was for abortion, then later claimed pro-life.
Romney was against the presidents economic stimulus, then he was for economic stimulus.
Romney was pro-gun control, then became a member of the NRA.
Romney claims his MAss health plan is bad for the entire nation, then proceeds later to say we need to mandate insurance nationally.

I mean, how many flip flops can a guy get away with before his character integrity is called into question?

Then there is his budget proposal. Which increases both the debt and deficit.

I mean WHAT IS conservative about Mitt Romney? Can you please guide me to some info that would lead me to believe he deserves my support (as a former TEA Party member)?
Just curious. I'm not trying to slam your support for Mitt, I'm just trying to understand why people think he is a good GOP candidate.

Why do you feel that?

Frankly, Romney looks pretty weak to me.

Because I've done my homework on the guy. I like what I found. He is head and shoulders above the other options.... and, frankly, other than a few - such as Rubio and Christie - he's one of the best GOP candidates. He's not the 'best of a bad bunch' to me... he's actually someone that I'll vote for.... and I haven't voted GOP for POTUS since I've been eligible to vote. I haven't voted Dem either.... usually, I despise both parties pretty equally.

Slightly off the topic of TEA Party endorsements for Romney, but can you elaborate on what you found that you like?

Romney was against the presidents economic stimulus, then he was for economic stimulus.
Romney claims his MAss health plan is bad for the entire nation, then proceeds later to say we need to mandate insurance nationally.

I mean, how many flip flops can a guy get away with before his character integrity is called into question?

I mean WHAT IS conservative about Mitt Romney? Can you please guide me to some info that would lead me to believe he deserves my support (as a former TEA Party member)?
Just curious. I'm not trying to slam your support for Mitt, I'm just trying to understand why people think he is a good GOP candidate.

Can you just prove these 2 things for/to me please, i would like to be enlightened if there is something I do not know:

1) Romney has not said, to my knowledge, that we need to mandate insurance nationally. Can you please evidence that claim for me?

2) Romney's decisions, as governor of MA, were pro-life. Can you cite a decision by him as my Gov that was pro-abortion?

Also about guns. Romney did pass/push for some gun control laws in MA such as signing the assult weapons ban that I disagree with. I've heard a claim that he instituted a 5 day waiting period for guns but that is untrue. I went to dick's sporting goods on saturday and bought a rouger 10-22 and had to wait about 5 minutes for my background check to come back in and tell the guy i'm ok to buy the gun.

It's not like the Tea Party is going to vote for Obama anyway. So those Tea Party members who vote will probably hold their noses and vote for Romney.

I just dont see any enthusiasm for Romney from mom and pop Republican. I don't think he will get the turn out he needs to win

The Tea Party is the rightwing of the Republican Party plus conservative Independents who are de facto conservative Republicans.

They'll vote Republican, like they always do.

I'm pro-life. I also support the right of others to be pro-choice. I see no issue with Romney's stance, because it is similar to mine. I won't abort a child, but I can't tell someone else not to.

I was personally against the stimulus.... but I viewed it as a necessary evil because my concern was that the recession would be far worse without it. Like Romney, I think the concept was a necessary evil - the execution was a clusterfuck that wasted billions of taxpayer dollars.

I support some forms of gun control.... that does not mean I want to take people's guns. I think we need to limit access to certain guns for the public good. But... like Romney... I will never support a government removing our right to bear arms.

On healthcare, Romney acted in the best interests and... more importantly... the will of the people in his state. I have no issue with any state providing some kind of healthcare - my issue is that it is not the responsibility of the Federal government to undertake that. It's for the states to decide.

The Tea Party is the rightwing of the Republican Party plus conservative Independents who are de facto conservative Republicans.

That's where you're wrong... but you'll never understand that. I can't even remember voting GOP for POTUS (I can't remember voting Dem either though)..... This is the first time that there has been a candidate that I actually like on either side of the fence. YAY.

Rubio is a kid with no experience of ANY kind and who has lied about major parts of his life

That makes him the perfect Repub candidate.

I have no problem with Romney and will certainly vote for him if he's the nom. He's head and shoulders above Barry in my book.

Of course I'm and Indi not a right, right wing Conservative and who knows they will support??

I think Rubios endorsment won't hurt him at all.

I'll go left on quite a few 'social' issues... but I prefer my politics and my social issues to be separate. If people want to legislate 'social' issues, do it at a state level. There is no Constitutional remit for the federal government to legislate social shit.

Bingo and I heartily agree.

That's where you're wrong... but you'll never understand that. I can't even remember voting GOP for POTUS (I can't remember voting Dem either though)..... This is the first time that there has been a candidate that I actually like on either side of the fence. YAY.

You just described yourself as a pro-choice Keynesian who is moderate on gun control,
which means you're not even IN the right wing of the Republican Party...

...so I wasn't talking about you.

Rubio is a kid with no experience of ANY kind and who has lied about major parts of his life

You could say the ame about Barry Boy.

Didn't stop you from voting for his inexperienced ass.

Obama lied about the reason his family came to America? Which part? His grandfather being a WWII vet? His father being from Kenya?

What?

In short, the Right is throwing in the towel and dutifully falling in line behind another GOP candidate who is not a conservative,

by conservative standards.

Ah, but the Right used it as a reason people shouldn't vote for Obama. Now you're admitting that was horseshit,

because they'd never use that as a reason not to vote for Rubio?

Ah, but the Right used it as a reason people shouldn't vote for Obama. Now you're admitting that was horseshit,

Oh that's right. The left is very concerned about the GOP choice for VP, same as 2008. Too bad they aren't as worried about their own Dr. Pepper and BFD VP. :lol:

Just pointing out to asshat that he had no problem voting for and inexperienced shyster in chief.

Last I checked Barry ran for the highest office in the land. POTUS. Not VP as Rubio would be doing if he accepted the nom. Don't think he will though as he's way smarter than the smartest prez this country has ever had. According the Barry that is.

Rubio's running for President? Wow. Do you have a link for that?

Forum List

Back