Will Romney pull a Hillary down the stretch?

I don't remember Hillary doing anything of the sort. I also doubt Mitten would do it.

Just because people are white doesn't mean they're racist, manipoo.

Unless they dont for Obama, then they might as well be wearing white sheets and burning crosses.

You keep saying that and people are going to start believing you. :eusa_eh:

If Romney wins I'm sure the "he lost due to racists not being able to vote for a black man" card will be played.

I don't remember Hillary doing anything of the sort.

I'm sorry to hear about your memory loss, I do hope you get better.

But in the mean time, allow me to refresh your memory.

Clinton touts support from ‘white Americans’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Clinton cited an Associated Press poll "that found how Senator Obama's support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me."

Clinton touts support from ‘white Americans’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Clinton cited an Associated Press poll "that found how Senator Obama's support among working, hard-working Americans, white Americans, is weakening again, and how whites in both states who had not completed college were supporting me."

That's it? That's what you interpreted as a rant about a black bogeyman? It's a pretty big leap don't you think?

That's it? That's what you interpreted as a rant about a black bogeyman? It's a pretty big leap don't you think?

It's not the worst thing Hillary ever did, I'll grant you that.

That Vince Foster thing was much worse. :thup:

Last edited:
With the polls as tight as they are, what do you think the odds are that Romney (or his Super PAC) will do what Hillary did in the 2008 primaries and try to make white people scared of the black boogeyman? Obviously it didn't work out too well for Hillary, but that was with democrat voters only. Also, since Obama is already president this time around, it sort of undermines the racist fear strategy, at least a little bit. But still, if Obama starts to pull away in the polls, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Romney pull a Hillary.

Thoughts?

I don't know. But with 20% saying they won't vote for a Mormon, its a dangerous game.

But the Dems have already hit lows accusing Romney of murder in a SuperPAC ad.

With the polls as tight as they are, what do you think the odds are that Romney (or his Super PAC) will do what Hillary did in the 2008 primaries and try to make white people scared of the black boogeyman? Obviously it didn't work out too well for Hillary, but that was with democrat voters only. Also, since Obama is already president this time around, it sort of undermines the racist fear strategy, at least a little bit. But still, if Obama starts to pull away in the polls, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Romney pull a Hillary.

Thoughts?

Just the opposite is true. If the polls stay tight, it's a done deal that the Obama campaign will play the race card just as they did in 2008. They've already got Chris Matthews out there calling every Republican criticism of left wing policy racist.

Just before the South Carolina primary, Hillary held a lead in the race for the nomination because of the support of so many super delegates and the black vote was split, 55% for Obama and 45% for Hillary. The Obama campaign sent out Jim Clyburn to call Bill Clinton a racist for arguing that no man with as poor a resume as Obama's should be considered for President. Overnight, black support for Obama jumped from 55% to 95% and the the DNC became so frightened that if Hillary won the nomination black voters might stay home on election day that super delegates fled en masse from the Clinton camp to the Obama camp and Obama won the nomination. Had Obama not played the race card, Hillary of McCain would have become President.

With Matthews already out there beating the racism drum - did you know that when a Republican says, Chicago, it's a racist statement because there are a lot of black people in Chicago - it is clear that if the race stays tight the Obama campaign is already preparing to try to gain an edge by calling Romney racist just as it did in 2008 by calling Hillary racist. In fact, intentionally or not, the subtext of your post is that Romney is a racist.

Thoughts?

Anything’s possible – the GOP is essentially employing the same strategy against Obama this year as in 2008, with the same outcome.

With the polls as tight as they are, what do you think the odds are that Romney (or his Super PAC) will do what Hillary did in the 2008 primaries and try to make white people scared of the black boogeyman?

"Will do"?

Try "has been doing". Romney has lost all the minorities and the women, and he's not getting them back. Mitt's only hope is to get all the bitter white males out to vote for him, by scaring the bejesus out of them.

Mitt does stay out of it personally, and lets his underlings do the dirty work. The race card is all they have left, so they'll try to wear it out. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough bitter white males left for them to pull it off.

Thoughts?

He won't play the race card--he was kidding in Michigan about the birth certificate.

What he may do...ala Hillary...is actually shed some tears in a desperate attempt to come off as appearing human although Hillary's were genuine.

If he does shed tears, I'd worry about internal rust.

With the polls as tight as they are, what do you think the odds are that Romney (or his Super PAC) will do what Hillary did in the 2008 primaries and try to make white people scared of the black boogeyman?

"Will do"?

Try "has been doing". Romney has lost all the minorities and the women, and he's not getting them back. Mitt's only hope is to get all the bitter white males out to vote for him, by scaring the bejesus out of them.

Mitt does stay out of it personally, and lets his underlings do the dirty work. The race card is all they have left, so they'll try to wear it out. Unfortunately, there just aren't enough bitter white males left for them to pull it off.

Don't be so sure. Obama has been outspending Romney by a ratio of 2 to 1 and they are still neck to neck in the polls. Romney has almost as much money to spend as Obama, but he hasn't had to spend it yet to stay even in the polls.

"Will do"?

Don't be so sure. Obama has been outspending Romney by a ratio of 2 to 1 and they are still neck to neck in the polls. Romney has almost as much money to spend as Obama, but he hasn't had to spend it yet to stay even in the polls.

Does that include the superpac monies?

Campaign funds are meaningless if the grater spending picture is not looked at.

To the OP: how is this allowed in the CDZ. Your assertion is out there in left field. The right is not playing any race card and it is depraved that people are claiming that they already are. It is the need for the left to see race in everything. Drop it already; EVERYONE is tired of people jumping on the race bandwagon every damn minute.

Obama has been outspending Romney by a ratio of 2 to 1 and they are still neck to neck in the polls.

Er, no. To both. First, Obama has always been ahead in general, and well ahead in the swing states, which is all that counts now.

Second, the GOP is now directly outspending the Democrats across the map, and has always outspent the Democrats when PACs are counted.

GOP Outspending Obama Across the Map - Reid Wilson - NationalJournal.com

The Obama team has also spent a bigger percentage on the ground game, while the Romney team concentrates more on expensive PrimeTime TV ads. And that huge TV ad advantage did nothing for Romney. His money advantage isn't helping him.

To the OP: how is this allowed in the CDZ. Your assertion is out there in left field. The right is not playing any race card and it is depraved that people are claiming that they already are. It is the need for the left to see race in everything. Drop it already; EVERYONE is tired of people jumping on the race bandwagon every damn minute.

I didn't make any assertion about the right, I simply asked a question, and so far the discussion has remained quite clean. If the discussion itself makes you uncomfortable, that probably says more about you than anything else.

People who consider themselves better off today then they were four years ago, are better off in spite of the government or they work for the government or receive government benefits.

Hillary would have made, perhaps will make someday, a great president. In 2008 there was just no way her campaign was going to survive the attack of the right.

Between now and November 6th I expect things are going to get feral. I just heard Romney tell reporters that Obama has plans to slash the military. Romney is talking to people he has no regard for, the American public, and will say and do anything that strokes fears and prejudices.

Last edited:

I didn't make any assertion about the right, I simply asked a question, and so far the discussion has remained quite clean. If the discussion itself makes you uncomfortable, that probably says more about you than anything else.

*sigh*

Nothing in there about uncomfortable at all. The discussion is targeted at race and race baiting. That is not uncomfortable, its old. Now that there is no actual instances that the left is able to point out to make the conversation about race, here we are talking about *IF* they are going to go racial.

How about this – give us something that justifies the position in the op is even remotely likely.

Forum List

Back