Will obama grant a pardon to Bergdahl?

A pardon? Great idea, anything to make this kid just go away.

It will turn the military against obozo. They don't like it when deserters get pardons just to help a politician out of a mess he made for himself.

As if the opinions of the cannon fodder matters. What are they going to do, quit, walk off the job? Look at what happens when you do eh...

Do you get punched in the face alot. No, right because you wouldn't have the balls to tell a service man that he is just cannon fodder to his face. :eusa_shhh:

huh?

Tax cuts?

Uh....if you want to be sarcastic......try to make some sense...

Sequestration? Budget cuts? The party of NO?

But Tax cuts?

LMFAO.....clueless.

Yes, tax cuts. High license, public record, and user fees; along with assessments, sales, fuel, and "misc." taxes. But lower income taxes. If you count up what government costs you pay for, the increases exceed the income tax savings for many.

Nice kick save.

If it were me?

I would have said..."you are correct. I meant sequestration"

But nice kick save non the less.

Too tough to make anyone believe I meant sequestration instead of tax cuts:eusa_whistle:

It will turn the military against obozo. They don't like it when deserters get pardons just to help a politician out of a mess he made for himself.

As if the opinions of the cannon fodder matters. What are they going to do, quit, walk off the job? Look at what happens when you do eh...

Do you get punched in the face alot. No, right because you wouldn't have the balls to tell a service man that he is just cannon fodder to his face. :eusa_shhh:
I don't tell my clients they're either stupid or lazy for the most part either, which is why they have to pay me. As long as their checks clear, we're good. As long as the cannon fodder does their job, same thing.

Last edited:
Obama will and he hasn't even got started yet. Wait until you see the garbage he is going to pardon. He will pardon Mumia Abul Jamal for sure. Oh, and he will let all the Gitmo detainee's free so they can go forth and kill Americans.

Well, if we pull out of Afghan and/or negotiate a deal with the Taliban, we will have to let those who have not planned terror attacks on American soil go. You cannot detain a person because you suspect he may decide to commit a crime.
You have no idea of what "conspiracy" is legally, do you?

Obama will and he hasn't even got started yet. Wait until you see the garbage he is going to pardon. He will pardon Mumia Abul Jamal for sure. Oh, and he will let all the Gitmo detainee's free so they can go forth and kill Americans.

Well, if we pull out of Afghan and/or negotiate a deal with the Taliban, we will have to let those who have not planned terror attacks on American soil go. You cannot detain a person because you suspect he may decide to commit a crime.

What conspiracy? They were detained after we invaded because they opposed the invasion. If you have any information regarding a 9-11 type plot to attack the domestic US, do tell.

What conspiracy? They were detained after we invaded because they opposed the invasion. If you have any information regarding a 9-11 type plot to attack the domestic US, do tell.
I am not an elementary school teacher, but here you go:

conspiracy legal definition of conspiracy. conspiracy synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

I am tiring of this. I've got another functionally illiterate on another thread.

Actually, they were not POW's in the traditional sense. They were not men who were on the battlefield who were captured when they lost a particular battle.

These men were found to have been involved in illegal conspiracies against US interests and we had operations to seek them out and capture them so we can try them for their crimes. Very much like a domestic police hunt for a "wanted man".

I don't know why Bush did not have them charged and tried. My guess is the military wanted to use them as pawns.

I know Obama and Holder wanted to try them but only if they can do it in a US court.

But now they are all nice people who are nothing more than victims of a war?

Wow.

Obozo will catch heat if he does this, but it will get him out of this mess he created. What an incompetent idiot he is.

A pardon for Bowe Bergdahl? | Power Line

JUNE 8, 2014

When Bowe Bergdahl was first released, the administration’s line seemed to be that he had suffered enough as a Taliban prisoner, and thus that the U.S. would not likely punish him as a deserter even if that’s what he turned out to be. But as the deal came in for strong criticism and evidence mounted as to Bergdahl’s betrayal, the line changed.

We were assured by the military that Bergdahl’s conduct would be investigated and, if misconduct were found, he would be subject to the military justice system. In the meantime, we should withhold judgment.

But Bill Otis predicts that, regardless of the facts (which so far point unambiguously to the conclusion that Bergdahl deserted), Bergdahl will never face a military trial because President Obama will pardon him. Bill, who worked on presidential pardons in the last days of the Bush 41 administration, has even drafted a statement to accompany the pardon (see below). It’s written in perfect Obamaese, which should worry those of us who are close to Bill.

I tend to agree with Bill’s prediction, though. The advantages to Obama of pardoning Bergdahl seem overwhelming. With no court martial, there will be no investigation into Bergdahl’s conduct which, in addition to desertion, may include collaboration with the Taliban whom he sought out so earnestly after abandoning his unit. And there will be no investigation into the causal link between Bergdahl’s walkabout and the deaths of American soldiers who went looking for him.

Finally, and crucially, by short-circuiting an investigation, Obama will likely prevent us from learning how much he knew (or should have known) about Bergdahl’s conduct and its impact on American lives before he decided to release five Taliban commanders in exchange for the deserter.

Bergdahl hasn't even been formally charged with a crime, has he?

If he ever is, a pardon by Obama wouldn't be as scandalous as the 6 pardons issued by President George H. W. Bush for some of the men involved in the Iran Contra Scandal. Part of the reason it was so scandalous, other than the fact that men at the highest level of our gov't were clearly involved in illegal activity, is the fact that many people have stated that Bush (when he was Vice President) was heavily involved and fully briefed on what was happening at the time even though he said he was out of the loop. The reason that's so scandalous is that, if it's true that Bush was involved, it's quite possible that he could have been blackmailed to issue pardons in order to prevent his involvement from coming out into the open in court testimony. Know what I mean?

Do you think pardoning one soldier, who it should be mentioned never participated in releasing propaganda videos where he disparaged America the way anti-American conservatives are now disparaging him, and who endured his suffering in captivity all alone, would be worse than Bush pardoning his buddies, in part, in an effort to keep his involvement in the Iran Contra affair a secret?

Just asking.

By the way, take a look at ALL the conservatives below who were involved in serious law breaking and treasonous activity. Pretty amazing compared to one poor soldier who was taken prisoner and mistreated when he wasn't be tortured.

• Caspar Weinberger, Secretary of Defense, was indicted on two counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice on June 16, 1992. [1] Weinberger received a pardon from George H. W. Bush on December 24, 1992, before he was tried.[71]
  • William Casey, Head of the CIA. Thought to have conceived the plan, was stricken ill hours before he would testify. Reporter Bob Woodward reported Casey knew of and approved the plan.[72]
  • Robert C. McFarlane, National Security Adviser, convicted of withholding evidence, but after a plea bargain was given only two years of probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.[73]
  • Elliott Abrams, Assistant Secretary of State, convicted of withholding evidence, but after a plea bargain was given only two years probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.[74]
  • Alan D. Fiers, Chief of the CIA's Central American Task Force, convicted of withholding evidence and sentenced to one year probation. Later pardoned by President George H. W. Bush.
  • Clair George, Chief of Covert Ops-CIA, convicted on two charges of perjury, but pardoned by President George H. W. Bush before sentencing.[75]
  • Oliver North, member of the National Security Council convicted of accepting an illegal gratuity, obstruction of a congressional inquiry, and destruction of documents, but the ruling was overturned since he had been granted immunity.[76]
  • Fawn Hall, Oliver North's secretary, was given immunity from prosecution on charges of conspiracy and destroying documents in exchange for her testimony.[77]
  • Jonathan Scott Royster, Liaison to Oliver North, was given immunity from prosecution on charges of conspiracy and destroying documents in exchange for his testimony.[78]
  • National Security Advisor John Poindexter was convicted of five counts of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, perjury, defrauding the government, and the alteration and destruction of evidence. The Supreme Court upheld a lower court ruling that overturned these convictions.[79]
  • Duane Clarridge. An ex-CIA senior official, he was indicted in November 1991 on seven counts of perjury and false statements relating to a November 1985 shipment to Iran. Pardoned before trial by President George H. W. Bush.[80][81]
  • Richard V. Secord. Ex-major general in the Air Force who organized the Iran arms sales and Contra aid. He pleaded guilty in November 1989 to making false statements to Congress and was sentenced to two years of probation.[82][83]
  • Albert Hakim. A businessman, he pleaded guilty in November 1989 to supplementing the salary of North by buying a $13,800 fence for North with money from "the Enterprise", which was a set of foreign companies Hakim used in Iran-Contra. In addition, Swiss company Lake Resources Inc., used for storing money from arms sales to Iran to give to the Contras, plead guilty to stealing government property.[84] Hakim was given two years of probation and a $5,000 fine, while Lake Resources Inc. was ordered to dissolve.[82][85]
Oliver North and John Poindexter were indicted on multiple charges on March 16, 1988.[86] North, indicted on 16 counts, was found guilty by a jury of three felony counts. The convictions were vacated on appeal on the grounds that North's Fifth Amendment rights may have been violated by the indirect use of his testimony to Congress which had been given under a grant of immunity. In 1990 Poindexter was convicted on several felony counts of conspiracy, lying to Congress, obstruction of justice, and altering and destroying documents pertinent to the investigation. His convictions were also overturned on appeal on similar grounds. Arthur L. Liman served as chief counsel for the Senate during the Iran–Contra Scandal.[87]
The Independent Counsel, Lawrence E. Walsh, chose not to re-try North or Poindexter.[88] In total, several dozen people were investigated by Walsh's office.[89]
During his election campaign in 1988, Vice President Bush denied any knowledge of the Iran–Contra affair by saying he was "out of the loop". Though his diaries included that he was "one of the few people that know fully the details", he repeatedly refused to discuss the incident and won the election.[90] However, a book published in 2008 by Israeli journalist and terrorism expert Ronen Bergman asserts that Bush was personally and secretly briefed on the affair by Amiram Nir, counter-terrorism adviser to the then Israeli Prime Minister, when Bush was on a visit to Israel. "Nir could have incriminated the incoming President. The fact that Nir was killed in a mysterious chartered airplane crash in Mexico in December 1988 has given rise to numerous conspiracy theories", writes Bergman.[91] On December 24, 1992, nearing the end of his term in office after being defeated by Bill Clinton the previous month, Bush pardoned six administration officials, namely Elliott Abrams, Duane Clarridge, Alan Fiers, Clair George, Robert McFarlane, and Caspar Weinberger.[92]
In Poindexter's hometown of Odon, Indiana, a street was renamed to John Poindexter Street. Bill Breeden, a former minister, stole the street's sign in protest of the Iran–Contra affair. He claimed that he was holding it for a ransom of $30 million, in reference to the amount of money given to Iran to transfer to the Contras. He was later arrested and confined to prison, making him, as satirically noted by Howard Zinn, "the only person to be imprisoned as a result of the Iran–Contra Scandal".[93]
Iran?Contra affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
possibly if he is charged with anything.

Of course, Biden might be the one granting the pardon if he is.

I'm sure Obama can pardon a man who is innocent up to this point.

Better to wait until he is charged with something, and convicted. The anti Obama crowd is low on actual ammo at this point, so the hypothetical.

I don't tell my clients they're either stupid or lazy for the most part either, which is why they have to pay me. As long as their checks clear, we're good. As long as the cannon fodder does their job, same thing.
Thought so chickenshit.

Better to wait until he is charged with something, and convicted. The anti Obama crowd is low on actual ammo at this point, so the hypothetical.

It's not that we are low on amno, it's that SS is not an accurate representation of the right.

Thought so chickenshit.
Do you tell you're Liberal friends, family, and co-workers that they're scum, or do you save that for here? Same difference.

Have you never read this: The Misanthrope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People who tell the truths of life are not well-liked, and never get elected.

making sure they never get elected again, the right is on the campaign trail early ...

Actually, they were not POW's in the traditional sense. They were not men who were on the battlefield who were captured when they lost a particular battle.

These men were found to have been involved in illegal conspiracies against US interests and we had operations to seek them out and capture them so we can try them for their crimes. Very much like a domestic police hunt for a "wanted man".

I don't know why Bush did not have them charged and tried. My guess is the military wanted to use them as pawns.

I know Obama and Holder wanted to try them but only if they can do it in a US court.

But now they are all nice people who are nothing more than victims of a war?

Wow.

In so doing, a four Justice plurality FN12 noted that “[t]he legal category of enemy combatant has not been elaborated upon in great detail” and that “[t]he permissible bounds of the category will be defined by the lower courts as subsequent cases are presented to them.” FN13 It nevertheless concluded that the AUMF “clearly and unmistakably” authorized detaining at least those who were “part of or supporting forces hostile to the United States or coalition partners in Afghanistan and who engaged in an armed conflict against the United States there.” FN14 Thus, the plurality reasoned that, if the government's allegations were correct, Hamdi's detention did not violate the Non–Detention Act because the AUMF itself constituted the requisite “Act of Congress.” FN15 To the extent Hamdi identified constitutional concerns with the military detention of American citizens generally, the plurality concluded that there was “no bar to this Nation's holding one of its own citizens as an enemy combatant.” FN16 Nevertheless, the plurality suggested that this detention authority was not boundless and that detention pursuant to it could not be indefinite. Rather, “based on longstanding law-of-war principles,” the plurality construed the AUMF “to include the authority to detain for the duration of the relevant conflict.” FN17 Justice Thomas wrote separately and provided a fifth vote for upholding authority to detain Hamdi under the AUMF, but rejected any limitations, derived from the laws of war, on the duration of the detention authority.FN18

Hedges v. Obama 724 F3rd 170 (2013)

Forum List

Back