Why?

IF we want to wipe out all the taliban, fight the war WITHOUT tying our hands behind our backs (that means yes we end up killing civilans and wiping out villages), then I say definately send more troops and do it right.

If we are not going to go all out to secure the country and irradicate any taliban/al-q remnants than I say just pull the troops out and bring them home to station on our northern and southern borders.

EDIT: What good is going to come of it?
1) The millions of people of afghanistan could live under a democratic style government that they have a say in instead of a dictatorship style one such as under the taliban

2) People who may want to harm American and European citizens wouldn't have a base of operations like they did before.

I'm sure i could think up other things if you want.

Sorry Pilgrim, but I have two problems with your points here. First, why is it up to us to spend our blood and treasure setting up democracy (small-d) in a place where there has never been what could be called a functioning nation to begin with? And second, do you advocate sending in troops to every hole in the wall worldwide that could harbor folks who may want to harm Westerners?

Face it, we missed our chance to meet our objectives in Afghanistan. If there's a clear objective left to achieve worth our young men and women bleeding for and us sinking deeper into debt for I'll listen, but until and unless I hear one fast I'll support getting us out. Not in deeper.

I dont think it is up to us, I'm a libertarian if I had my way we wouldn't have been fighting wars in other countries in the first place. After 9/11 we would have closed our borders and ports with shoot to kill orders and severly restricted immigration policies along with agressively pursuing people with expired work visas and the likeAs I just said above, No I do not. See Ron Paul's view of foreign policy ;)

I dont really see a clear objective I was just playing within the confines of the OP's ideas.

If it was up to me we wouldn't waste money and blood fighting wars such as Iraq 1 and 2, afghanistan, and many others. I have lost friends in NY on 9/11, Iraq after bush went there, and Afghanistan as recently as this month. I know the cost of irresponsible wars too well which is why I said if we are going to actually fight a war we better not do it all half assed and nicely like we tried with Iraq and AFG....you go all out or stay home. Don't play politics with my friends, family, and fellow citizens like Bush and now Obama are doing.

I'm not a Paul supporter myself, but I can agree with all the rest of this. :clap2:

My sympathies for your losses, I also lost people I cared about on 9/11 and in Iraq. A lot of us did. But that isn't enough to justify throwing more lives away all these years later.

Well, if I'm reading the general consensus correctly:

Obama has completely screwed up Afghanistan on his own, has turned it into a drug war against poor people, and should be pulling our troops out of their yesterday, and should not be leading our troops.

All those in favor say Aye!

;)

AYE!

As usual....your lack of comprehension astounds me!

Obama has completely screwed up Afghanistan on his own, has turned it into a drug war against poor people, and should be pulling our troops out of their yesterday, and should not be leading our troops.

;)

AYE!

Really? I think it's par for the course...

;)

AYE!

Really? I think it's par for the course...

Well, I have only been dealing with him for a day. You may have much more experience with him/her?

PatekPhillippe, you included the word steadily in front of increased. The chart shows that the number went up and down over time. There was a year by year steady increase, but not month to month. It is right there in the graph.

Regardless, even at 100,000 troops, there are not enough to control the entire country or even all the Taliban hotspots. So how does Obama plan to actually make his plan succeed? My guess is he will act surprised in early 2012 and promise to withdraw all troops if reelected.

Why don't we break it down to troop levels by the fucking minute and SPLIT SOME MORE FUCKING HAIRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get mad at everyone else just because YOU posted something that isn't true. Just take personal responsibility for your own mistake and move on. It wasn't a big deal or a big distinction - If you had just been big enough to admit the mistake on the front end, all would have been forgiven/forgotten long ago.

But by trying to deny it, rationalize it, spin it .... YOU turned it into a bigger deal. Even vulgarity doesn't suddenly transform your post into a correct statement.

Sorry...your just too dishonest, in this case, to admit that troop levels increased over the years and Bush did not ignore Afghanistan like you on the left so vehemently claim.

Well, it's good to see this thread died. My name is Barak Hussein Obama, and in 11 months, the troops in Afghanistan will double, I will ask for 30,000 more troops. Vote for me.

;)

AYE!

Well, it's good to see this thread died. My name is Barak Hussein Obama, and in 11 months, the troops in Afghanistan will double, I will ask for 30,000 more troops. Vote for me.

;)

AYE!

That's what happens when idiots like yourself hijack threads....

Always hate to see it when an intelligent, respectful thread gets hijacked by those who are ill-equipped to participate under those terms.

I voted for Obama. I still support many of his initiatives. HOWEVER, can someone please explain to me WHY we need to send more troops to Afghanistan. I CANNOT see us winning anything there. Based on our best intelliegince, Osama Bin Laden is no longer there, but rather in Pakistan. Besides more deaths, and more billions of dollars spent, what good is goiing to come from this?

"Change it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fall that's all
But the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war...

...Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Ow, all the name calling. You might hurt me feelings. ;)

30,000 more troops to go fight a drug war against poor people. The truth just makes you libs angry, common occurrence.

Sorry Pilgrim, but I have two problems with your points here. First, why is it up to us to spend our blood and treasure setting up democracy (small-d) in a place where there has never been what could be called a functioning nation to begin with? And second, do you advocate sending in troops to every hole in the wall worldwide that could harbor folks who may want to harm Westerners?

Face it, we missed our chance to meet our objectives in Afghanistan. If there's a clear objective left to achieve worth our young men and women bleeding for and us sinking deeper into debt for I'll listen, but until and unless I hear one fast I'll support getting us out. Not in deeper.

I dont think it is up to us, I'm a libertarian if I had my way we wouldn't have been fighting wars in other countries in the first place. After 9/11 we would have closed our borders and ports with shoot to kill orders and severly restricted immigration policies along with agressively pursuing people with expired work visas and the likeAs I just said above, No I do not. See Ron Paul's view of foreign policy ;)

I dont really see a clear objective I was just playing within the confines of the OP's ideas.

If it was up to me we wouldn't waste money and blood fighting wars such as Iraq 1 and 2, afghanistan, and many others. I have lost friends in NY on 9/11, Iraq after bush went there, and Afghanistan as recently as this month. I know the cost of irresponsible wars too well which is why I said if we are going to actually fight a war we better not do it all half assed and nicely like we tried with Iraq and AFG....you go all out or stay home. Don't play politics with my friends, family, and fellow citizens like Bush and now Obama are doing.

I'm not a Paul supporter myself, but I can agree with all the rest of this. :clap2:

My sympathies for your losses, I also lost people I cared about on 9/11 and in Iraq. A lot of us did. But that isn't enough to justify throwing more lives away all these years later.

If Obama presents a clear mission with attainable goals for Afghanistan tonight I would be happier.

But still its been 4 months since his General on the ground told Obama that 40,000 more troops were needed immediately, and now it looks like obama will give him almost that number but spread it out over the next 2 years. That makes no sense to me.....listen to the generals or end the war.

If Obama presents a clear mission with attainable goals for Afghanistan tonight I would be happier.

But still its been 4 months since his General on the ground told Obama that 40,000 more troops were needed immediately, and now it looks like obama will give him almost that number but spread it out over the next 2 years. That makes no sense to me.....listen to the generals or end the war.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on military strategy here. But the objective has to come first, IMO. If there is a real reason for us being there, then give it everything we've got and do it right this time. I just don't see one anymore, at least nothing with a military solution.

Forum List

Back