Why You Should Never, Ever Shake Your Martini

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
It dilutes it faster but after the first one, does anyone care?

There are 3 tips. The third one is weird and...........entirely too much work. Booze washing. I wanna try it.

But there is one super trendy, high-tech trick that you can try at home. It's called "booze-washing," and it makes use of protein to remove the astringency from a drink. It actually has a historic basis—even Ben Franklin wrote down his own a recipe for milk punch that uses the casein protein in milk to strip out the phenolic compounds and turn a rough-around-the-edges brandy into a soft, round, soothing drink. But Arnold came up with the idea when he was trying to make an alcoholic version of an Arnold Palmer, the delicious iced tea/lemonade mix.

"I knew that adding milk to tea makes it less astringent, which is why the Brits do it," Arnold explained. "And then I wanted to get rid of the milk, because I didn't want a milk tea, I wanted a tea tea." So he added citric acid, which caused the milk to curdle, so he could separate it out in a centrifuge. "And only afterwards was I like, oh yeah, milk punch!"

Arnold washes drinks to remove flavors, rather than add them. He's taking advantage of the chemical properties of protein-rich ingredients—milk, eggs, or even blood—that preferentially bind to the plant defense chemicals that can give over-oaked whiskey, certain red wines, tea, coffee, and some apple varieties a mouth-puckering dryness. He's found that as well as smoothing out a drink, booze-washing has the side benefit of creating a lovely, velvety texture.
Why You Should Never Ever Shake Your Martini Mother Jones

Forum List

Back