Why We Need a Constitutional Convention NOW

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I believe that we are rapidly approaching a vanishing point with respect to peaceful resolution of our political differences. It is clear that the Left wants to impose its will over the entire country, whereas the Right wants to be left alone to control its own destiny. That is why the Left opposes any type of political separation or self-determination while the Right generally supports these ideas.

The U.S. Constitution specifies a procedure for Amendment, either through Congress or by the States themselves. Because of rampant gerrymandering of House districts and the nationalization of Senate campaigns, the Congressional approach is no longer feasible. Instead, only a Constitutional Convention called for by 2/3 of State legislatures has any hope of settling our differences without physical conflict.

Since the core issue is political control, it seems that an agreement that allows each side to exercise democratic authority over areas of common interest would seem to be the best alternative to the current situation. This could be accomplished by establishing the authority of individual States to veto federal legislation that directly affects them. Such vetos could then be overridden by a 2/3 vote of the U.S. Congress.

Comments/alternatives?

Hello, just joined the forum. I've been a political activist since 1979 and what I've seen in my years is that two classic political observations are true. One, government always grows and increases its power at the expense of individual freedom; and two, power corrupts absolutely.

It's been a roller coaster ride, but we may finally be at the tipping point and going over the cliff. I hear no one in the public media, Fox and NewsMax, or read very few in print, and with the exception of a couple, no one in Congress, who is publicly advocating an effective attack against the Left.

A common perception is that the Reagan Revolution was a success. I'm telling you it was a failure. Why? Because here we are 30 years later and we are under attack by the Great Reset.

The reason we are in this situation where our freedom may be lost is because we have a government which provides the infrastructure which our enemies use against freedom loving Americans. Taxes go up and down, regulations can be eliminated, but government itself is never cut back. Reagan campaigned on eliminating the newly created Department of Education. Republicans in Congress would not do it. George W. Bush's administration created the Department of Homeland Security, the greatest power grab by the government in our history, until ObamaCare pushed it out of the top spot.

If America is to be saved, we need a Convention of States to take what we have learned from history and amend our Constitution to take back our Rights and our Freedom. Congress will not do it. Power corrupts.

I believe that we are rapidly approaching a vanishing point with respect to peaceful resolution of our political differences. It is clear that the Left wants to impose its will over the entire country, whereas the Right wants to be left alone to control its own destiny. That is why the Left opposes any type of political separation or self-determination while the Right generally supports these ideas.

The U.S. Constitution specifies a procedure for Amendment, either through Congress or by the States themselves. Because of rampant gerrymandering of House districts and the nationalization of Senate campaigns, the Congressional approach is no longer feasible. Instead, only a Constitutional Convention called for by 2/3 of State legislatures has any hope of settling our differences without physical conflict.

Since the core issue is political control, it seems that an agreement that allows each side to exercise democratic authority over areas of common interest would seem to be the best alternative to the current situation. This could be accomplished by establishing the authority of individual States to veto federal legislation that directly affects them. Such vetos could then be overridden by a 2/3 vote of the U.S. Congress.

Comments/alternatives?
Why would anyone adhere to Constitution 2.0 any better than the current one?

It depends on what you put into it. I think using the opportunity to then set term limits on both houses would be a a great start. We need to make sure our politicians are not elected into office and than stay there for the rest of their lives. Make sure that if they do not keep their oath during their tenure that they are removed at once. We can use it to abolish certain departments the first would be for me anyway the Department of Education.
The sad part about this is that any state ran by the left will never vote for a convention of states. I believe there are already a number of states that will vote for a convention of states, and we only need a handful more.

You have to eliminate the "means" by which the Constitution is abused. People are free to believe whatever they please and are free to advocate for their beliefs. They just can't be allowed to politicize their beliefs if unconstitutional. We know how to prevent this by amending the Constitution.

Comments/alternatives?
The rightists just want to be left alone? SINCE WHEN?

Why don’t you leave others alone?

Hello, just joined the forum. I've been a political activist since 1979 and what I've seen in my years is that two classic political observations are true. One, government always grows and increases its power at the expense of individual freedom; and two, power corrupts absolutely.

It's been a roller coaster ride, but we may finally be at the tipping point and going over the cliff. I hear no one in the public media, Fox and NewsMax, or read very few in print, and with the exception of a couple, no one in Congress, who is publicly advocating an effective attack against the Left.

A common perception is that the Reagan Revolution was a success. I'm telling you it was a failure. Why? Because here we are 30 years later and we are under attack by the Great Reset.

The reason we are in this situation where our freedom may be lost is because we have a government which provides the infrastructure which our enemies use against freedom loving Americans. Taxes go up and down, regulations can be eliminated, but government itself is never cut back. Reagan campaigned on eliminating the newly created Department of Education. Republicans in Congress would not do it. George W. Bush's administration created the Department of Homeland Security, the greatest power grab by the government in our history, until ObamaCare pushed it out of the top spot.

If America is to be saved, we need a Convention of States to take what we have learned from history and amend our Constitution to take back our Rights and our Freedom. Congress will not do it. Power corrupts.
There is absolutely no one smart enough or able to see the large that would trust to change the Constitution. You all want to make it a far right wet dream. You would destroy in the process.

There is absolutely no one smart enough or able to see the large that would trust to change the Constitution. You all want to make it a far right wet dream. You would destroy in the process.
Your post is a bit incoherent, but ... any Amendment passed by the Convention would still require ratification by 38 States. This is called Democracy.

Your post is a bit incoherent, but ... any Amendment passed by the Convention would still require ratification by 38 States. This is called Democracy.
Sorry, my iPad skipped some words. The Constitution has stood by us for more than two centuries. No other nation has that sort of record. It was created by very divided, argumentative and diverse groups of people…led by people of great vision. It isn’t easy to come up with a document that is still incredibly valid almost 250 years later. Who would you trust to change it in todays toxic political climate? I wouldn’t trust any leftists and I damn well wouldn’t trust any rightists.

...Who would you trust to change it in todays toxic political climate? I wouldn’t trust any leftists and I damn well wouldn’t trust any rightists.
Up until fairly recently I held this position. However, I've been a political activist since the 1970's and the political process has failed to stem the leftward tide. My perception is that we are now on the brink of irrevocably losing our freedom. The Swamp will not allow Congress to act; a violent revolution is not possible or practical. Only a non-violent uprising of the People, speaking through a Convention of States, has any chance of success. I see no other path forward.

If you don't trust those you call "rightists", I wouldn't have any idea what your political position is, unless it's maybe anarchist. Possibly libertarian. But I'm a lifetime member of the Libertarian Party since 1979, and I'll tell you the LP is not politically viable on the national level.

Up until fairly recently I held this position. However, I've been a political activist since the 1970's and the political process has failed to stem the leftward tide. My perception is that we are now on the brink of irrevocably losing our freedom. The Swamp will not allow Congress to act; a violent revolution is not possible or practical. Only a non-violent uprising of the People, speaking through a Convention of States, has any chance of success. I see no other path forward.

If you don't trust those you call "rightists", I wouldn't have any idea what your political position is, unless it's maybe anarchist. Possibly libertarian. But I'm a lifetime member of the Libertarian Party since 1979, and I'll tell you the LP is not politically viable on the national level.
I’m liberal or leftist. I don’t trust ANYONE today. And I don’t see this horrendous loss of rights and freedoms we are supposedly on the precipice of. In many ways we have MORE freedoms and rights than we did 60 years ago.

Ever see the movie Idiocracy? My fear is that is getting to close to the truth. What would they do to the Constitution?

Ever see the movie Idiocracy? My fear is that is getting to close to the truth. What would they do to the Constitution?
Yes I saw Idiocracy. And our public schools and our universities are largely in the hands of leftists.

I believe that we are rapidly approaching a vanishing point with respect to peaceful resolution of our political differences. It is clear that the Left wants to impose its will over the entire country, whereas the Right wants to be left alone to control its own destiny.
you fucking hypocrite. It was trump who wanted to install a dictatorship, not the democrats. Dickhead.
That is why the Left opposes any type of political separation or self-determination while the Right generally supports these ideas.
That is a complete lie and you have nothing but hate to support it.
Do you mean get the democrats banished so they can't have a say how you fascism works. Fuck off.
Since the core issue is political control, it seems that an agreement that allows each side to exercise democratic authority over areas of common interest would seem to be the best alternative to the current situation.
You mean like now? How strange you want it changed now but never said a word when Trump was there .
This could be accomplished by establishing the authority of individual States to veto federal legislation that directly affects them.
Wouldn't that be a nice mess. Christ your dumb
Such vetos could then be overridden by a 2/3 vote of the U.S. Congress.

Comments/alternatives?

Just the one comment, you're a hate filled republican godbotherer.

Forum List

Back