Why was the second amendment written?

The Second Amendment was written by people who were aware of their recent and past history. Aware people today understand that as well as the fact that it is no longer 1776.
If he were any more stupid, he’d have to be watered twice a week.

It talks about a "well regulated militia", and that was because the US didn't have a standing military yet, so it depended on the people for defense.

Personally? I think that after we stood up our military, and made it one of the most formidable on the planet, that is when the 2nd became obsolete. And, while I'm from Montana and didn't know what store bought meat was most of my childhood, I'm also a hunter. And, if a person wants a 6 shooter, or any other kind of handgun, I would like the ammo to only be around 9 rounds before you have to reload. If you want to own a rifle, bolt action or lever action rifles are perfectly fine, and again, I'd like to see an ammo limit of about 10 rounds or less before reloading.

Semi automatic weapons that fire a round with each trigger squeeze that holds 30 plus rounds? Don't see the use of them. Handguns are better for home defense, and the AR-15 is designed to throw lots of ammo downrange quickly, which the only use I could see is in a war zone. And yeah, I served 20 years in the Navy.
I am disgusted to see a fellow sailor and vet claim that ANY of our rights has become obsolete. The second amendment gives us the right to keep and bear the tools to fight oppression, and it is a right that many of our shipmates died fighting for. Please honor the pow, mia, and all those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom, and honor them by living free. "Live free, or die" is what we do to honor them.

It talks about a "well regulated militia", and that was because the US didn't have a standing military yet, so it depended on the people for defense.

Personally? I think that after we stood up our military, and made it one of the most formidable on the planet, that is when the 2nd became obsolete. And, while I'm from Montana and didn't know what store bought meat was most of my childhood, I'm also a hunter. And, if a person wants a 6 shooter, or any other kind of handgun, I would like the ammo to only be around 9 rounds before you have to reload. If you want to own a rifle, bolt action or lever action rifles are perfectly fine, and again, I'd like to see an ammo limit of about 10 rounds or less before reloading.

Semi automatic weapons that fire a round with each trigger squeeze that holds 30 plus rounds? Don't see the use of them. Handguns are better for home defense, and the AR-15 is designed to throw lots of ammo downrange quickly, which the only use I could see is in a war zone. And yeah, I served 20 years in the Navy.
I am disgusted to see a fellow sailor and vet claim that ANY of our rights has become obsolete. The second amendment gives us the right to keep and bear the tools to fight oppression, and it is a right that many of our shipmates died fighting for. Please honor the pow, mia, and all those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom, and honor them by living free. "Live free, or die" is what we do to honor them.
Wrong.

The Second Amendment gives us the right to possess a firearm for self-defense, not to ‘fight oppression.’

Wrong.

The Second Amendment gives us the right to possess a firearm for self-defense, not to ‘fight oppression.’

You are so wrong, here is what the second amendment says:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The right to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Wrong.

fighting oppression is self defense,,,
have you always been a fucking idiot or is this something new youre trying???

Wrong.

Self defense is what a mugger or intruder will encounter, fighting oppression is what happens when a well regulated group of people like me show up armed to defend the border or repossess the government.

Wrong.

Self defense is what a mugger or intruder will encounter, fighting oppression is what happens when a well regulated group of people like me show up armed to defend the border or repossess the government.

self defense is against anything that could bring me harm,,,and any government can bring harm including my own,,,

Wrong.

self defense is against anything that could bring me harm,,,and any government can bring harm including my own,,,
I agree with that.

Maybe people were more responsible back in the 18th century, and they never could have foreseen that the population could become complete idiots. They were probably wise to believe that a well armed and responsible population, should have every tool in their disposal to stand up against a government gone tyranical.
Your opinions on what fire arms people should be allowed to have are fine I suppose but there are others who would have it be even less. They will say you have no reason anymore to go out and shoot a deer, and maybe we should be like Britain. What I do believe is that as long as our government feels that they do not have absolute power over the population, that is a very good thing. As they say, absolute power corrupts and I would hate to see them any more corrupt than they already are.

we sure can't help pointing out that massive fire power doesn't always work.

If your massive firepower doesn't work ... then your firepower isn't massive enough.

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -- Fudd's 1st Law of Opposition

4130_c929f2210333206f417e3862f431776d.jpg
Why didn't we use nukes in Viet Nam and Afghanistan then?

Wrong.

Oh lookey, the pseudo intellectual chimes in, and is, as always, wrong. There are hundreds of letters among the Founders dealing with the 2nd.

They ALL reference the ability to fight oppression you moronic twit.

Forum List

Back