Why The GOP Can Never Accuse Obama Of Abandoning Women

TimeMen_Women_Different.jpg

The Lily Ledbetter law does not force employers to give equal pay to men and women. That has been the law for decades. The Equal Pay Act was signed into law by Kennedy. Lily Ledbetter would have easily won her lawsuit under the Equal Pay Act. That was not her issue. What happened with Ledbetter is that she waited too long to file her lawsuit and it was barred by the statute of limitations. The poorly named Fair Pay Act amends the Equal Pay Act to remove the statute of limitations allowing a lawsuit to be brought at any time.

This is a foolsih law that protects only foolish people. The Fair Pay act does not only apply to women, nor does it punish only men.

If that's been the law for decades, why do women still earn .77 on the dollar paid to men.

Lilly Ledbetter was a supervisor at Goodyear Tire and Rubber’s plant in Gadsden, Alabama, from 1979 until her retirement in 1998. For most of those years, she worked as an area manager, a position largely occupied by men. Initially, Ledbetter’s salary was in line with the salaries of men performing substantially similar work. Over time, however, her pay slipped in comparison to the pay of male area managers with equal or less seniority. By the end of 1997, Ledbetter was the only woman working as an area manager and the pay discrepancy between Ledbetter and her 15 male counterparts was stark: Ledbetter was paid $3,727 per month; the lowest paid male area manager received $4,286 per month, the highest paid, $5,236.[4] This pay disparity led to further inequity in her "overtime pay, contributory retirement, 401(k), and social security." [5]

She "waited too long?" How can there be 'too long' a wait?

Lilly Ledbetter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't believe either party is against women. Question is when either party are accused of it are most women going to be blinded by ideology enough to fall for such stupid tactics?

I don't believe either party is against women. Question is when either party are accused of it are most women going to be blinded by ideology enough to fall for such stupid tactics?

It's not about ideology, Gramps. It's about my jaw dropping on a regular basis over the past many, many months while the GOP presented and/or passed bills to take us back far too many years. You can't legislate morality, and that's what they're shooting for.

May not be against them...but USE them to get where they are going.

It's disingenuous.

Both sides pandering for votes. Obama just happens to be the current ring leader.

May not be against them...but USE them to get where they are going.

It's disingenuous.

Both sides pandering for votes. Obama just happens to be the current ring leader.
True. And until either recognizes the individual American and sticks to it?

This futile fight will go on.

We see where groupthink has gotten us.

When the Supremes upheld the ban, by as narrow a vote as is anticipated in the Obamacare decision, Obama protested. When speaking at a Planned Parenthood fundraiser in 2007 he said:

For the first time in Gonzales vs. Carhart, the Supreme Court held – upheld a federal ban on abortions with criminal penalties for doctors. For the first time, the Court’s endorsed an abortion restriction without an exception for women’s health. The decision presumed that the health of women is best protected by the Court – not by doctors and not by the woman herself. That presumption is wrong.

In that case Obama was condemning the Supreme Court for upholding a federal law, which was actually a healthcare law of sorts, since it sought to protect half-born children from being stabbed to death."

Obama on Obamacare vs. Obama on Partial Birth Abortion Ban | LifeNews.com

Ya this helps women. They don't suffer permanent mental damage from killing their baby. They are relieved and happy. Bullshit. It's how men control women by making them think it's ok to kill their babies.

Missouri Legislature takes up birth control, abortion bills

For instance. This is just one of the 135.

The Senate passed a bill that would let employers deny health insurance coverage for birth control for employees who do cannot prove a medical need for it. The bill now goes to the House for consideration.

You want less government, but sticking the government's nose up a woman's suzy is just fine and dandy? Seriously??

Lilly Ledbetter released the following statement responding to the Romney campaign’s refusal to say whether Mitt Romney supported the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act on a conference call this morning. Read it and then share with your friends.
"I was shocked and disappointed to hear that Mitt Romney is not willing to stand up for women and their families. If he is truly concerned about women in this economy, he wouldn’t have to take time to ‘think’ about whether he supports the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. This Act not only ensures women have the tools to get equal pay for equal work, but it means their families will be better served also. Women earn just 77 cents to every dollar that men earn for the same job, which is why President Obama took decisive action and made this the first bill that he signed when he took office. Women should have the ability to take their bosses to court to get the same pay as their male coworkers. Anyone who wants to be President of the United States shouldn’t have to think about whether they support pursuing every possible avenue to ensuring women get the same pay for the same work as men. Our economic security depends on it."

Tell me something, why should I care one iota what Lily Ledbetter said about Romney? She either lied under oath when giving her deposition, which is a criminal act, or she lied every other time she talked about her case. Personally, I go with she is lying now, and thus take everything she says with a grain of salt.

Romney is lying. I should think that would be obvious, what with all the unemployed MEN and all.
Note: Stamping your feet and screeching "Nuh-UH!!" is not a valid refutation.

If you actually read ant articles about this subject, you would quickly have seen how wrong Romney's statement was, You only see what you want to see, how unusual for a right winger.

WASHINGTON — The Senate on Thursday killed a Republican effort to let employers and health insurance companies deny coverage for contraceptives and other items they object to on religious or moral grounds.

The vote was 51-48.

In effect, the Senate upheld President Barack Obama's birth control policy, which guarantees that women have access to insurance coverage for contraceptives at no charge, through an employer's health plan or directly from an insurance company.

Read more: Senate blocks GOP bill on contraceptives policy - San Antonio Express-News

So. There HE is, the one you say is against women, guaranteeing that women have access to insurance coverage for contraceptives at no charge - but he's the bad guy.

And you wonder why women are flocking to him again.

It's not about ideology, Gramps. It's about my jaw dropping on a regular basis over the past many, many months while the GOP presented and/or passed bills to take us back far too many years. You can't legislate morality, and that's what they're shooting for.

I'll admit a few of the more recent laws I've heard about are pretty stupid like the Blunt situation in Mo. Having said that I believe I understand the purpose. The left has also been pulling so hard to the left that the only way to wind up in the middle is to pull equally hard towards the right. I hope that in the end we can end up where we belong. Not elevating one over another.

When the Supremes upheld the ban, by as narrow a vote as is anticipated in the Obamacare decision, Obama protested. When speaking at a Planned Parenthood fundraiser in 2007 he said:

For the first time in Gonzales vs. Carhart, the Supreme Court held – upheld a federal ban on abortions with criminal penalties for doctors. For the first time, the Court’s endorsed an abortion restriction without an exception for women’s health. The decision presumed that the health of women is best protected by the Court – not by doctors and not by the woman herself. That presumption is wrong.

In that case Obama was condemning the Supreme Court for upholding a federal law, which was actually a healthcare law of sorts, since it sought to protect half-born children from being stabbed to death."

Obama on Obamacare vs. Obama on Partial Birth Abortion Ban | LifeNews.com

Ya this helps women. They don't suffer permanent mental damage from killing their baby. They are relieved and happy. Bullshit. It's how men control women by making them think it's ok to kill their babies.

Isn't that what all laws do is control?

If that's been the law for decades, why do women still earn .77 on the dollar paid to men.

Lilly Ledbetter was a supervisor at Goodyear Tire and Rubber’s plant in Gadsden, Alabama, from 1979 until her retirement in 1998. For most of those years, she worked as an area manager, a position largely occupied by men. Initially, Ledbetter’s salary was in line with the salaries of men performing substantially similar work. Over time, however, her pay slipped in comparison to the pay of male area managers with equal or less seniority. By the end of 1997, Ledbetter was the only woman working as an area manager and the pay discrepancy between Ledbetter and her 15 male counterparts was stark: Ledbetter was paid $3,727 per month; the lowest paid male area manager received $4,286 per month, the highest paid, $5,236.[4] This pay disparity led to further inequity in her "overtime pay, contributory retirement, 401(k), and social security." [5]

She "waited too long?" How can there be 'too long' a wait?

Lilly Ledbetter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She retired in 1998 and filed her lawsuit 9 years later in 2007. The statutes that ran out are as follows:

Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co., 550 U.S. 618 (2007), is an employment discrimination decision of the Supreme Court of the United States. Justice Alito held for the five-justice majority that employers cannot be sued under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act over race or gender pay discrimination if the claims are based on decisions made by the employer 180 days ago or more. The decision did not prevent plaintiffs from suing under other laws, like the Equal Pay Act, which has a three-year deadline for most sex discrimination claims,[1] or 42 U.S.C. 1981, which has a four-year deadline for suing over race discrimination.[2]

That is why even though the Lily Ledbetter Act was signed into law, Ledbetter herself could not benefit from it. The law removes all those statutes of limitations meaning someone could bring a lawsuit after 30 years if they decide.

Of course men can bring these kinds of suits too. And, they can bring them against female owned companies so saying this is some kind of protection afforded to only women is nonsense. This is one of those feel good laws that purport to help, while making things worse, but it feels so good when it's going in.

Forum List

Back