Why the Educated Members of the Millennials (and subsequent) are Irreligious

IF what you've posted is true, and the Ten Commandments are to be taken literally, why would any religious person side with Donald Trump, who has clearly violated the 6th, 8th and 9th Commandments I learned in the Catholic catechism:

Catholicism and the Ten Commandments - dummies

I suppose hypocrisy is afoot along with other character flaws in those Trump Supporters.

Tell everyone that YOU are not a sinner. You have NEVER in your LIFE violated a Commandment. Go ahead. Tell everyone, Mister Perfect Rye Catcher.

People who are perfect, like you, don't need God, do they/you?
That's stupid. There is no such thing as "sin". That is a childish, obsolete toy from a past age of ignorance.
True, many find nothing sinful about raping a woman and strangling her to death in the process.

In an enlightened day and age, one is free to indulge in the sensual pleasures of rape and murder until their hearts' content, wouldn't you and De Sade agree?

Many of the comments above corroborate exactly what I say. The commenters are convinced that THEY are the ultimate deciders of what is Good and what is Evil; hence, they claim, morally speaking, to be "god."

And if you are god, then what is the point of religion? They may pretend to Believe, but in their twisted, shriveled little hearts, they are irreligious.
As a legal institution, the 10 Commandments incorporate some of the cultural notions of the Golden Rule (e.x. respect for people's autonomy, family, property, and so forth).

As far as history is concerned, they aren't the "only" legal system founded on said concepts, such as our modern Common Law is likewise, as well, albeit more sophisticated and relevant to the 21st century.

If you are arguing there is no good or evil, then of course there is nothing "evil" about deciding what is good or evil to begin with, not just "for yourself", but for others as well.

And, of course, that is effectively what the law, ancient as well as modern does - your "freedom", of course is not absolute.

If you, for instance, decide that it isn't evil to rape, to murder, to steal your neighbor's property, then, yes you will have said "religious" morality forced on you via the law, the police the, courts, and so forth, even if you personally reject or refuse to embrace its principles and precepts, and yes, ideally people, especially those who reason, would be expected to be motivated by superior moral sentiments and character than solely "fear of the law or the state", regardless, this is what it is.

Much as the law and its philosophy allows a person to be a bad person 'in private' or on a personal basis so long as they don't fall outside the line of the 'rules' and so forth. which sadly is likely the case in many, as per psychology such as the "Stanford Prison Experiment", which illuminated how people without a higher purpose or, contemporary 1st world sense of morality would be likely to do or engage in evil or illegal actions, such as torturing inmates if directed to do so by an "authority" figure, such as a death camp guard (may not even possessing the bare basics or rudiments of etiquette, even that which a small child would be expected to know or 'pick up on', let alone anything resembling contemporary moral philosophical inquisitiveness, character, wisdom, and so on and so forth, whether one picks a specific nation, such as America, or Britain, or broader and more overarching moral, theological, or philosophical principles and so forth.

Last edited:
I hear you. But the point is that they personally believe that religion only "works" if they agree with what is being taught. The historical attitude (you know, for like the past four thousand years?) was that reality has already been established; it is not your prerogative - based on your whole twelve years of life - to evaluate it as to its efficacity.
Exactly what young people rebel against

The demand that you believe because this is what we always believed. With me it was hearing what was bing taught and just having a feeling that ....this stuff does not make sense.

It was no decision of “I want to be an atheist” just an abandonment of religious doctrine as the truth.

Many of the comments above corroborate exactly what I say. The commenters are convinced that THEY are the ultimate deciders of what is Good and what is Evil; hence, they claim, morally speaking, to be "god."

And if you are god, then what is the point of religion? They may pretend to Believe, but in their twisted, shriveled little hearts, they are irreligious.
As a legal institution, the 10 Commandments incorporate some of the cultural notions of the Golden Rule (e.x. respect for people's autonomy, family, property, and so forth).

As far as history is concerned, they aren't the "only" legal system founded on said concepts, such as our modern Common Law is likewise, as well, albeit more sophisticated and relevant to the 21st century.

If you are arguing there is no good or evil, then of course there is nothing "evil" about deciding what is good or evil to begin with, not just "for yourself", but for others as well.

And, of course, that is effectively what the law, ancient as well as modern does - your "freedom", of course is not absolute.

If you, for instance, decide that it isn't evil to rape, to murder, to steal your neighbor's property, then, yes you will have said "religious" morality forced on you via the law, the police the, courts, and so forth, even if you personally reject or refuse to embrace its principles and precepts.
Most of our law is not based on the Ten Commandments and is morally superior to the Ten Commandments

I hear you. But the point is that they personally believe that religion only "works" if they agree with what is being taught. The historical attitude (you know, for like the past four thousand years?) was that reality has already been established; it is not your prerogative - based on your whole twelve years of life - to evaluate it as to its efficacity.
Exactly what young people rebel against

The demand that you believe because this is what we always believed. With me it was hearing what was bing taught and just having a feeling that ....this stuff does not make sense.

It was no decision of “I want to be an atheist” just an abandonment of religious doctrine as the truth.
In some cases, it may not be "I want to be a Christian or a 'religious person', it may just be an abandonment of 'secular' religions or their dogma, and faith-based beliefs or axioms (e.x. the positive beliefs, or statement of principles of the Secular Humanist religion or cult) as the truth.

If you, for instance, decide that it isn't evil to rape, to murder, to steal your neighbor's property, then, yes you will have said "religious" morality forced on you via the law, the police the, courts, and so forth, even if you personally reject or refuse to embrace its principles and precepts.
Most of our law is not based on the Ten Commandments and is morally superior to the Ten Commandments
It's a moot point, I merely stated that older legal systems played a role in the development of modern ones.

While belief in "god" is fundamental to religion, there is a corollary that is even more important, from a practical standpoint. That corollary is that There is an ultimate dictator of Good and Evil.

The most important aspect of the Ten Commandments is not what they are, actually, but that they COME FROM GOD. These are not Moses' beliefs about Good and Evil, or the consensus of Jewish people on Good and Evil, they are God's dictates on Good and Evil. And as such, they are UNASSAILABLE.

If you don't believe that, then you cannot be a "believer" in any rational sense.

But Millennials have been taught in our American public schools that THEY are the ultimate decision-maker when it comes to what is Good and what is Evil. There is no "objective" Good and Evil; YOU decide.

And theologically, if YOU decide what is Good and/or Evil, then you are "god." And while they would dispute that characterization, it is true. If you are the decider of what is Good and/or Evil then you are, in effect, "god."

If you have come to believe it is within your power to make this Good/Evil assessment, then how can you be religious? Even if you are "religious," you are a fraud. (NOTE: Obviously, there are unique circumstances in each new generation that Biblical teachings do not DIRECTLY or OBVIOUSLY cover, for example, the morality of using a cell phone while driving, but that's why we have an intellect - to infer the proper conclusions from Biblical teachings).

And nowhere is this phenomenon more evident than in the debate over the moral characterization of homosexual sodomy. If you believe in GOD, then you believe/know that the distinction between Good and Evil is not man-made...that it is not a matter of opinion...that it is not YOUR DECISION TO MAKE. Hence, if you believe in God, the Bible, and "natural law," then you CANNOT accept an institution like "gay marriage, which in effect renders God's assessment about homosexual sodomy moot - or worse, renders it FALSE and ERRONEOUS!

And when you ask a Millennial about "gay marriage," or related topics, s/he will ultimately inform you that YOU are a BIGOT and a "HATER" because you have judged their life-choices as Evil. Typically, they would consider the act of rendering judgment on that behavior ITSELF to be "immoral"!

Which is preposterous, I, as a believer, have not made any judgment about that behavior; I have merely read, understood, and accepted the judgment of GOD on the subject, which is not mine to dispute.

Within my lifetime, Pennsylvania public schools proudly and conspicuously displayed the Ten Commandments, and started their day with The Lord's Prayer. (Historical Note: I only attended shop classes in public school; for everything else I went to Sacred Heart School, Pittsburgh).

But don't let anyone tell you that there has been a conspiracy to erase this country's Judeo-Christian heritage; that would be positively paranoid.

Bottom Line: Millennials and younger have been taught to reject "god" and have accepted those atheistic teachings. Within a few short generations, we will be like Europe, with churches that are in effect historical curiosities, having little other significance.
Lol, no.

Education tends to override religions because it's actually explains most of the junk religions pretend to, and without all the artificial moralizing.

Last edited:
While belief in "god" is fundamental to religion, there is a corollary that is even more important, from a practical standpoint. That corollary is that There is an ultimate dictator of Good and Evil.

The most important aspect of the Ten Commandments is not what they are, actually, but that they COME FROM GOD. These are not Moses' beliefs about Good and Evil, or the consensus of Jewish people on Good and Evil, they are God's dictates on Good and Evil. And as such, they are UNASSAILABLE.

If you don't believe that, then you cannot be a "believer" in any rational sense.

But Millennials have been taught in our American public schools that THEY are the ultimate decision-maker when it comes to what is Good and what is Evil. There is no "objective" Good and Evil; YOU decide.

And theologically, if YOU decide what is Good and/or Evil, then you are "god." And while they would dispute that characterization, it is true. If you are the decider of what is Good and/or Evil then you are, in effect, "god."

If you have come to believe it is within your power to make this Good/Evil assessment, then how can you be religious? Even if you are "religious," you are a fraud. (NOTE: Obviously, there are unique circumstances in each new generation that Biblical teachings do not DIRECTLY or OBVIOUSLY cover, for example, the morality of using a cell phone while driving, but that's why we have an intellect - to infer the proper conclusions from Biblical teachings).

And nowhere is this phenomenon more evident than in the debate over the moral characterization of homosexual sodomy. If you believe in GOD, then you believe/know that the distinction between Good and Evil is not man-made...that it is not a matter of opinion...that it is not YOUR DECISION TO MAKE. Hence, if you believe in God, the Bible, and "natural law," then you CANNOT accept an institution like "gay marriage, which in effect renders God's assessment about homosexual sodomy moot - or worse, renders it FALSE and ERRONEOUS!

And when you ask a Millennial about "gay marriage," or related topics, s/he will ultimately inform you that YOU are a BIGOT and a "HATER" because you have judged their life-choices as Evil. Typically, they would consider the act of rendering judgment on that behavior ITSELF to be "immoral"!

Which is preposterous, I, as a believer, have not made any judgment about that behavior; I have merely read, understood, and accepted the judgment of GOD on the subject, which is not mine to dispute.

Within my lifetime, Pennsylvania public schools proudly and conspicuously displayed the Ten Commandments, and started their day with The Lord's Prayer. (Historical Note: I only attended shop classes in public school; for everything else I went to Sacred Heart School, Pittsburgh).

But don't let anyone tell you that there has been a conspiracy to erase this country's Judeo-Christian heritage; that would be positively paranoid.

Bottom Line: Millennials and younger have been taught to reject "god" and have accepted those atheistic teachings. Within a few short generations, we will be like Europe, with churches that are in effect historical curiosities, having little other significance.
Lol, no.

Education tends to override religions be sure it's actually Edwin's most of the junk religions pretend to, and with our all the artificial moralizing.
The idea that 'education' or self-actualization of the sort is a 'good' thing to begin with, is in itself a 'religious' or faith-based belief or idea.

there is no god...religion is made up/fake by man--like fairy tales --plain and simple

Lol, no.

Education tends to override religions be sure it's actually Edwin's most of the junk religions pretend to, and with our all the artificial moralizing.
The idea that 'education' or self-actualization of the sort is a 'good' thing to begin with, is in itself a 'religious' or faith-based belief or idea.
How is lack of religion a religion?

how does religion '''work'''?
...most religious people have been BRAINWASHED to believe since they were very young by being made to go to church/listen to religion/etc

...most religious people have been BRAINWASHED to believe since they were very young by being made to go to church/listen to religion/etc
..why do you think islam/christian/etc are prevalant in certain areas??--because that is what they are brainwashed/taught to believe

Lol, no.

If you're going to keep intentionally lying, and denying that the positive, faith-based beliefs axioms or principles of the Secular Humanist sect are simply a "lack of belief in a god", when they most definitely are not, they are an affirmative, set of positive beliefs and axioms as stated by the Statement of Principles of Secular Humanism itself (and, of course, only one of many different Secular philosophies or substitutes for religions to begin with), I'm not going to bother to address your lies and intentional misinformation, or false conflation of "Secular Humanism" with "atheism" or deceptiveness further.

Affirmations of Humanism | Free Inquiry

The positive affirmations and principles which they affirmatively do believe are stated here for anyone or everyone to read; much as how Secular Humanism and other non-theistic religions (such as Daoism) have likewise been recognized as such by the Supreme Court.

..why do you think islam/christian/etc are prevalant in certain areas??--because that is what they are brainwashed/taught to believe
Most people of a 6th grade reading level or 100 IQ are 'brainwashed' or taught to believe in whatever the contemporary information, 'science', history', or whatnot of their day and age is (most students of such as low reading level or educational investment only believe in outdated Newtonian physics because they were "taught it" in grade school, just as they'd be believing in alchemy or whatever the contemporary information of their day and age was, or will be believing in whatever contemporary sciences of the future, which have more or less already replaced outdated Newtonian physical models or mathematical approximations of the universe to begin with, as well as outdated axioms such as "atomism", which is the basis of Newtonian physics, and to some extent was just a simplistic little philosophical axiom existing as far back as Epicurius before it was ever even incorporated into Newton''s archaic 17th century approximations of the universe to begin with, and full of as many philosophical problems, non-sequiturs, and outdated axioms back then as it is and was today.

So, what is your point?

Replace "religion" with politics, law, or whatever low K-12 and other archaic educational variants are available to them, and you get the same simplistic or silly little non-sequitur and faithful assertion as you did.

Yes, people in a 1st world country are "brainwashed" into believing that rape, murder, and such things are "wrong", as per the Common Law and other systems and doctrines, and what's "wrong with that".

Just as I'm sure that many political pundits, whether Bill Maher or anyone else, are "brainwashed" or required by their network to promote whatever political or other view is popular or sellable to the company's target audience or demographic (if Maher or Colbert, or anyone else, had been hired by Fox, he would probably have been regurgitating 'right wing' propaganda instead of 'left wing' propaganda, or whatever the network was willing to give him a paycheck in return for). Much as many atheists have more or less admitted they simply "grew up" or were "raised" atheists, and simply atheists because their parents were and indoctrinated them into it.

So again, what is you're point? You're either advocating intellectual anarchy, or just being silly and naïve.

As far as the law goes, or bare minimum educational standards go, people and schools are allowed to "brainwash" stundents until they are legally an "adult", with some measure or degree of adolescent questioning of parental or authority beliefs or 'veering out on one's own" being a healthy and natural sign of maturity in mature adolescents and adults, as per healthy and contemporary psychologists and parenting literature on the subject(s).

If an "adult" stays "brainwashed" even when in a 1st world country they have the agency needed to veer out, question things, or mature 'on their own', then to some extent, that is more their fault rather than anything else, whether due to sheer apathy, lack of social or intellectual skills, or whatever one might seek to "blame" such a problem or defect on, nothing "religious" about it so much as just various ubiquitous cultural and social forces at work, mass media being a heavy one of them.

Last edited:
Most people of a 6th grade reading level or 100 IQ are 'brainwashed' or taught to believe in whatever the contemporary information, 'science', history', or whatnot of their day and age is (most students of such as low reading level or educational investment only believe in outdated Newtonian physics because they were "taught it" in grade school, just as they'd be believing in alchemy or whatever the contemporary information of their day and age was, or will be believing in whatever contemporary sciences of the future, which have more or less already replaced outdated Newtonian physical models or mathematical approximations of the universe to begin with, as well as outdated axioms such as "atomism", which is the basis of Newtonian physics, and to some extent was just a simplistic little philosophical axiom existing as far back as Epicurius before it was ever even incorporated into Newton''s archaic 17th century approximations of the universe to begin with, and full of as many philosophical problems, non-sequiturs, and outdated axioms back then as it is and was today.

So, what is your point?
..you sure seem to be able to post a lot of big word babble crap but you are not able to get my SIMPLE point???!!! hahahahhahahah
..if kids were taught to worship an aluminum pole/etc, then that is what they would worship = religion is FAKE/made up babble

Lol, no.

Nope.

Lol, no.

Nope.
Yep.

Not all 'education is equal, of course, the bare minimums required by colleges or the archaic K-12 system are barely anything at all, relics from the 19th century as opposed to more advanced learning and educational models such as that of Rhodes Scholar Edward De Bono, but regardless education is a personal choice, so what or how much education one chooses to pursue, or things is worth pursuing is ultimately up to them and whatever value they choose to attribute to such a thing.

Lol, no.

They are embarrassed by their religious beliefs so they project onto those that don't have them. That's why they call.climate change a religion, the Obama supporters were a religion, atheists, and so on.

Makes them feel better about themselves.

For a while.

So, what is your point?
..you sure seem to be able to post a lot of big word babble crap but you are not able to get my SIMPLE point???!!! hahahahhahahah
..if kids were taught to worship an aluminum pole/etc, then that is what they would worship = religion is FAKE/made up babble
If Kid's were taught Newtonian physics and that the earth rotates around the Sun, they would believe it.

Physics is "fake", or made up, constructed or approximated from mathematics, much as how most of Newton's physics is an outdated relic of the 17th century anyway, with most scientific information made available in K-12 or mass media targeted to the 6th grade reading level being outdated 19th century nonsense and tidbits of information easily learned through more efficient, accurate, and expedient ways as per the Information Age.

So again, what is your point? You won't compare a child being taught physics by rote memorization and indoctrination devoid of actual comprehension to a top-level physicist like Capra, now would you?

The bare minimums of all education, past or present in the K-12 systems or models of a 1st world country are primarily just rote memorization and indoctrination, made readily available to those of a 6th grade reading level or average IQ of 100, along with mass media and advertising as a whole; people with extremely high IQs or investments in reading, learning, etc (such as the Ted Talk CEOs who read an entire post-graduate school level book every single day) are rare.

Forum List

Back