Government, man's replacement for God

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Votto, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,119
    1. Omnipresent/omniscient. The state is increasingly everywhere and monitoring everything you do so that none of us have any secrets any longer. After all, what do you have to hide?

2. Greatest source of wisdom. This results in the state becoming ever increasingly all knowing, with the assumption that once all knowing, the wisdom to deal with such knowledge will just come naturally because without God, people think that the human being is naturally good, so why worry about it? Nothing in the private sector can even come close to the wisdom of government in dealing with our never ending problems which is why they run the show. And to procure such wisdom, all we need is science. And even though science is not a source of wisdom, man is inherently good so it will naturally come. After all, we are all evolving and all evolution is to our benefit, so history becomes that much less important as a learning tool because we have progressed so far!

3. Omnipotent. The government becomes all powerful. Historically, governments tend to trend towards collectivism. Over time, power is increasingly centralized to the point of one person, or group of people, ruling over everyone else. It is an innate desire to be ruled by a king no matter the objections heard to the contrary because history bears this out. Most governments have been ruled by despotic single rulers, and those that are not have trended towards that, like Caesar declaring himself emperor of Rome to the chagrin of the Roman Senate or the Executive Branch in the US ballooning into the 4rth branch of government, taking over many of the jobs originally done by the Legislative branch and now ruling by Executive edicts, etc.

4. Ineluctably. We have all heard of the long arm of the law. With the government becoming exponentially omnipresent and all powerful, escaping it's clutches is increasingly problematic.

5. Benevolent. The state is looked upon as the only real source for helping those in need. Why without the state, we would all be starving in the streets without health care and with no hope. The state, therefore, is the source of all "love" and only source of hope. The state must continually save us from ourselves, and since they believe human nature is ultimately good, at least in government, there is no reason for concern for the opposite effect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106,315
    We don’t get to vote for God

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  3. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,119
    Sure you do.

Will you make him your Lord?

Yes or no?

It's really that easy.

In 1 Samuel 8, we see the Hebrew people cast their vote as "nay" as they insist on a human king instead.

So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel. They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to us, such as all the other nations have.”

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord told him: "Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 8 As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. 9 Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”

From there it was a downward spiral till they lost their nation and wound up in the ovens of Nazi Germany.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  4. sparky

sparky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,754
    governance....size matters...

[​IMG]
    ~S~

5. BreezeWood

BreezeWood VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,067
    anything less than the state is a cult ... by historical definition a selfserving parasite.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,119
    [​IMG]

7. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,119
    The Bible states that the human species is sheep, with wolves mixed in

Looking at human history, it's hard to argue.

[​IMG]

But as Jesus once said,

Then Jesus said to them again, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep. But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them. The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep. I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. And other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I must bring, and they will hear My voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd. “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”

8. Fort Fun Indiana

Fort Fun Indiana Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,085
    Well,blame the absent sky daddy for doing such a shitty job that we had to invent government in the first place.

Or be reasonable and put away these childish, iron aged toys and accept that the world and its governments are precisely as good as we make them. And sky daddy isn't coming back to mommy, ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  9. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,010
    Government isn’t God. It’s the devil Lucifer.

10. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,010
    How quickly you’ve forgotten your Messiah.
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1