Why so much ammo?

I keep about a thousand rounds on hand. That works out to under 100 rounds per weapon.

I don't feel I need to fire 500 rounds to remain competent. If I fire 6 rounds and see only 1 hole, firing more ammo only serves to burn gas and cash for a trip to the candy store.
My 7.7's cost about $2/round last time, the .308's about a buck. Yeah I can fire cheaper military rounds in the .308, but I want to know where the gun is shooting with my normal round.
The shotguns don't get fired regularly, but get cleaned and oiled about every 6 months.

I want to stay top notch and you can't do that is you don't practice practice practice. I know a few people who go to the range every week. but don't shoot as much as I do, but I guess that's why I do it that way, I go one day a month.
Like you I don't shoot my shotguns all that much.

i know this question has been asked not sure if it has been fully addressed.
So here it goes.
A firearms owner to be responsible should at all times remain proficient with all his firearms, this would require a large amount of ammo
i go to the range at least once a month and shoot 600 to a thousand rounds per firearm i take to the range.
I take at least 5 firearms with me because no firearm is the same as another one even if they are the same make and model and caliber of firearm.
Now you add that amount of rounds that i use on the range plus the amount that is above my minimum level cut off point. (my minimum level is a 500 rounds per firearm.) it would not be hard to see why i would need a lot of ammo.
Now if there is a restriction of the amount of ammo you can have, how as a responsible firearms owner stay proficient and continue to be responsible?
Do other gun owners understand the point i am trying to make?

I show how a responsible gun owner should be and liberals say nothing. I guess with liberals their argument is total bull shit

I'm not a liberal, but I'll respond.

You sound like one of those fat rednecks who gets out of breathe lugging his guns and ammo 20 yards to the bench at the range. Then sits on his ass, uses the rests to shoot off of, at paper targets, while sipping coffee and/or alcohol between shots. Then leave...and feel good thinking you are prepared to take on a tyrranical government or zombie attack.

Big deal. You pulled the trigger over and over a bunch of times, ALL shots being done at your resting heart rate with no sensory overload.

In other words, you're training for a controlled, calm environment, like a shooting competition.

I bet you...know wait, I KNOW you didn't do any type of sensory overload training. Shooting on the move. I KNOW you didn't do any kind of shooting with high physical exertion (called "excercise") involved. No heart rate training. None of that.

You sat your fat ass down, fire off hundreds of rounds in comfort, left, called it a day and said you are now "ready".

So...no. Shooting 1,000 rounds of mindless repetition is NOT equal to shooting 100 rounds under stress conditions. And you didn't...and dont'...train like that.

(BigReb is now in a panic, searching for a backwoods militia group he can join, or, he'll be one of those folks who pays $2,000 to attend a 5 day tactical camp for civilians run by former military and police, who are more than happy to take his money).
I am so glad you finally came out of your liberal hiding place I bet you feel better now?

A few years back when I was competing heavily, I would put 20,000 rounds a year downrange, no problem.

Did you fire those rounds out of 30 - 100 round magazines?

When practicing for 3 Gun competition, yes. Also, when hunting wild hogs. I also use a 20 round magazine for my short range varmint rifle.

I recall taking friends, sometimes first time shooters, to the range. They ALWAYS said the AR15 was the most fun to shoot. It would have been with a 30 round magazine. I find that interesting.

I don't use 100 round drums. Too unreliable.

i know this question has been asked not sure if it has been fully addressed.
So here it goes.
A firearms owner to be responsible should at all times remain proficient with all his firearms, this would require a large amount of ammo
i go to the range at least once a month and shoot 600 to a thousand rounds per firearm i take to the range.
I take at least 5 firearms with me because no firearm is the same as another one even if they are the same make and model and caliber of firearm.
Now you add that amount of rounds that i use on the range plus the amount that is above my minimum level cut off point. (my minimum level is a 500 rounds per firearm.) it would not be hard to see why i would need a lot of ammo.
Now if there is a restriction of the amount of ammo you can have, how as a responsible firearms owner stay proficient and continue to be responsible?
Do other gun owners understand the point i am trying to make?

I show how a responsible gun owner should be and liberals say nothing. I guess with liberals their argument is total bull shit

You sound like one of those fat rednecks who gets out of breathe lugging his guns and ammo 20 yards to the bench at the range. Then sits on his ass, uses the rests to shoot off of, at paper targets, while sipping coffee and/or alcohol between shots. Then leave...and feel good thinking you are prepared to take on a tyrranical government or zombie attack.

Big deal. You pulled the trigger over and over a bunch of times, ALL shots being done at your resting heart rate with no sensory overload.

In other words, you're training for a controlled, calm environment, like a shooting competition.

I bet you...know wait, I KNOW you didn't do any type of sensory overload training. Shooting on the move. I KNOW you didn't do any kind of shooting with high physical exertion (called "excercise") involved. No heart rate training. None of that.

You sat your fat ass down, fire off hundreds of rounds in comfort, left, called it a day and said you are now "ready".

So...no. Shooting 1,000 rounds of mindless repetition is NOT equal to shooting 100 rounds under stress conditions. And you didn't...and dont'...train like that.

(BigReb is now in a panic, searching for a backwoods militia group he can join, or, he'll be one of those folks who pays $2,000 to attend a 5 day tactical camp for civilians run by former military and police, who are more than happy to take his money).

I love the projection here. Have I shot at ranges? Sure...though I almost never use a rest to shoot unless I'm using my uncle's 18lb elephant rifle. Do I do most of my shooting at ranges? Hell no. I prefer to shoot outside...be it shooting tossed wooden blocks with revolvers, barrels or paint cans with rifles, or clays with a shotgun (though so far, I'm kind of lousy at that).

(And note: many people, including myself and my wife, HAVE done tactical firearms training!)

Nobody is saying how much ammo you can have. What they ARE saying is how much ammo you can have in your weapon prior to having to reload.

Even when I was in the military and part of the Security Forces, we didn't use high round magazines for practice, we used normal ones, because that was the kind we'd be carrying out on patrol.

I need exactly the same type of magazines the military has. When I was in the Air Force we used the same magazine at the range that we would carry while on duty. 30 round magazines. We carried 3 30 rounds magazines in a pouch and one magazine in the rifle.

Do you REALLY need 30-100 rounds per magazine?
What were you shooting? An assault rifle?

In the Navy, we used 15 round magazines, because otherwise the 9mm wouldn't fit in the holster.

I think you're lying. Any other AF security types out there who can verify they went on patrol with 30 round magazines?
I don't have any assault rifles. I may get one soon though.
It cost around 5000.00
I do however have bolt actions and semi automatics rifles a number of semi automatic hand guns and 6 revolvers. One of which is my most prized firearm Smith & Wesson M 1917 45 acp revolver.

OH FINALLY READ THE LAST PART Jeeeezus fucking christ you fucking trust obama but can't take me at my word for a simple thing as what I carried as a security police office in the air force from 1982 too 1986.

Last edited:
I need exactly the same type of magazines the military has. When I was in the Air Force we used the same magazine at the range that we would carry while on duty. 30 round magazines. We carried 3 30 rounds magazines in a pouch and one magazine in the rifle.

In the Navy, we used 15 round magazines, because otherwise the 9mm wouldn't fit in the holster.

I think you're lying. Any other AF security types out there who can verify they went on patrol with 30 round magazines?
It cost around 5000.00
I do however have bolt actions and semi automatics rifles a number of semi automatic hand guns and 6 revolvers. One of which is my most prized firearm Smith & Wesson M 1917 45 acp revolver.

What did you put 30 round magazines into while you were on patrol with the AF?

I am so glad you finally came out of your liberal hiding place I bet you feel better now?

Left or right, Democrat or Rebubican, lib or con, matters not. This post is spot on correct and you chose to attack the person and not the argument.

Left or right, Democrat or Rebubican, lib or con, matters not. This post is spot on correct and you chose to attack the person and not the argument.
He's doesn't know what my training consist of. I do reaction shooting target identification/ combat tactical training some months and others I just plink around.

I have a range in my back yard, great for sidearms, not so great for rifles as I only have about 50 yards before the land starts to rise steeply so you don't get much distance shooting, but great for CQB drills. My wife, my self and my 11yr old shoot at least 1200 rds a month, 50 ea with a pistol and a rifle, usually much more, and I also keep 1080rds of 5.56 and 640 rds of 7.62x39 in spam cans along with 200 rds of 9mm and 100 rds of .45 for the side arms on hand, not to mention .00 and #4 Buckshot. When you fire this much you HAVE to purchase ammo by bulk for it to be affordable. It's nothing for me to order 5,000 rds at a time from Cheaper than Dirt and often times when I find a good special there or somewhere else, I'll order 10,000 rds at a time.

It cost around 5000.00

This is what we carried on our web belts we never carried a side arm.

US%20AR15%20magazine%20pouch%202a.JPG

A few years back when I was competing heavily, I would put 20,000 rounds a year downrange, no problem.

Did you fire those rounds out of 30 - 100 round magazines?

When practicing for 3 Gun competition, yes. Also, when hunting wild hogs. I also use a 20 round magazine for my short range varmint rifle.

I recall taking friends, sometimes first time shooters, to the range. They ALWAYS said the AR15 was the most fun to shoot. It would have been with a 30 round magazine. I find that interesting.

I don't use 100 round drums. Too unreliable.

My first purchase of 5 100 round drum magazines was just recently for my new Saiga 223 never had any until now. I may end up selling them and make a profit if they get banned.

:fu:
Had to do some searching but here you go sea bitch from

USAF Uniforms And Equipment 1980 - 1983

REALLY? You're going to say that another messageboard is "proof" that you carried 30 round magazines?

You'd be better served by posting to a legitimate (i.e. real military) site that tells what AF people go on patrol with, as in what is a standard issue for patrol.

You still never said what you put 30 round clips into though, was it a rifle, an assault rifle, or a 9mm handgun?

It cost around 5000.00

This is what we carried on our web belts we never carried a side arm.

US%20AR15%20magazine%20pouch%202a.JPG

You never carried a side arm? Then what was the 30 round magazine for? Remember, you're the one that said you went out with 2 30 round magazines in your web belt, as well as a 30 round magazine in your weapon. What kind of weapon was it?

Forum List

Back