Why so little serious debate?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Xelor, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,695
    There's very little serious discussion here.

Once you realize this, things will look a little clearer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. norwegen

norwegen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,292
    Everything I post here is serious, thoughtful, and true, yet people point at me and laugh.

Buncha wankers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
    I construe myself an observer here. There is neither dismay nor joy from that to be had, other than that which comes from the discovering itself. Did, say, Galileo and Copernicus find happiness or disappointment in observing that the Earth revolves around the Sun? No. They were content simply to know that is the existential relationship between the Earth and Sun.

Look at the title of this thread. It asks why, not what. The "what" had, by this thread's creation point, been observed. Of whom is it best to ask the reason for the observed behavior than the people who perform that behavior? Thus this thread.

Aside:
    I must say. Among the things I've observed here is that when asked to to explain the nature and motives of their expressions, people here, unlike people in my "real world," seem loathe to actually do so. Odd, really, insofar as people here claim to so value freedom of expression, yet when asked to discuss the one thing about which they are most expert to discuss, themselves and what catalyzes their behavior, they are as timid as a dormouse. I find that paradoxical and peculiar.​

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  4. Humorme

Humorme Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Of the little serious discussion here, it's not because people are not interested. It's more about trolls want to control the conversations and lock out serious discussion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
    No.

Look at the thread title. Then look at my response to ChrisL's question and the date upon which I first expressed my purpose for participating here. The look at my join date.

This thread was created for no purpose other than as an attempt to get direct answers to the title question, ideally from individuals who do not engage in serious debate.

I can as well as the next person speculate about why there's so little serious debate on USMB. I don't need to start a thread to do that. Mind you, I can also complain about or laud the death of serious debate, but I don't need to ask an obviously non-rhetorical question to do that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  6. Humorme

Humorme Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Well, excuse me. You asked a question those who do not want serious discussions are never going to answer. In my mind, I thought you were asking a rhetorical question in order to open some dialogue.

Serious discussion is not welcome here - whether by accident or design. If you had the degree of IQ that you imply, you had to know that. So, the real purpose of your thread was defeated with your first post. Forgive me for having added to it.

7. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,948
    No, it's about Xelor dreaming up neurotic stuff to whine about. He conflates propaganda from 'academic' hacks with genuine intellectual analysis, never mind you can hire a 'scholar' to reach whatever per-conceived biases you want them to, and that has been the case for a long time now; where do you think all those 'think tanks' and the hacks they hire to write come from?

Throw in that most such 'viewpoints' can easily be summed up in a paragraph or less, you have to note that anybody who takes 20 to say it is most often just spamming and attempting a cover up, not looking for a discussion. That is also why it never requires more than a sentence or two in response. Many people here are more than educated enough to spot that sort of gaming. Start off with a false or deliberately loaded 'viewpoint' it doesn't matter how much spam you throw in afterward to make it look 'intellectual n stuff'.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,948
    Didn't used to be the case; early on in innernutz history it was mostly intelligent people discussing whatever rang their bell, but as PC's got cheaper and cheaper and out of the Egghead toy boxes the level got lower and lower, the 'Eggheads' moved on to blogs or private forums, and the message boards got 'discovered' as the first 'social media' and special targets for political astro-turf campaigns and the usual spam we get now.

The 'Egghead sets' are still out there, they're real intellectuals, so they just don't invite shallow narcissistic half-wits with high self-esteem and a shoplifted Thesaurus over to play with them.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  9. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,554
    Well, discursive integrity and basic respect require that one give those individuals a fair opportunity to answer the question, thereby speaking for themselves rather than, by default wrought from quiescence, allowing speculations of others to gather legitimacy.

Okay...that is what it is.

FWIW, I posed a neutrally phrased question to minimize the risk that it'd be construed as rhetorical.

10. impuretrash

impuretrash Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,750
    There can be no reasonable discussion with the left. Not any more. There's no room for dissenting opinions on that side of the spectrum. You're either all in, or you're the enemy. They drew the line in the sand, not us.

• Winner Winner x 3