Why should we have to tip people for just doing their job?

How about DOUBLE everything on the menu, have the establishment pay the staff well, and stop all this archaic extortion performance? I certainly don't want to see hard working waitstaff to be paid poorly.
So you want to replace a 20% bump the servers get now with doubling the menu prices, out of which we eliminate tipping, the wait staff gets paid MW except for maybe a few top performers and the owner gets a big bump in profitability to put in his pocket.

I agree!

The last thing I want to be doing after a big meal and drinks is a lot of damn math.
Uhhh, adding 20% is not "a lot of damn math" to anyone who graduated from a government school, or second grade if they were home schooled.

Yeah, and the next person that comes in like the OP doesnt give any tip, so for two hours he made 20 dollars an hour, and if Unkotare shows up, then it 13 dollars for each of three hours. Again, try working as a food server and see how it goes for one year.....Then tell us your story....
And if you cover 4 tables and get $40 for the hour from one table and $20 from another, even if the other two give you nothing, you've made $60 for that hour. You're not going to get that at Denny's, but at higher class dining, quality wait staff can earn pretty good money. The point is, there are a lot of wait staff that don't want to lose tips, because they would end up making less.

I gotta disagree back. :lol:

Yes its a racist view of tipping but that was the norm. Tipping was a practice brought over from europe to establish a caste system here in the US which of course the newly freed enslaved were at the bottom.

I agree great tips bring great wait staff. The point I was making is that I'm sure the wait staff would be great if the owners paid them better instead of having to rely on tips.
If you eliminate the tips and pay well you will keep your great staff. People shouldn't be forced to kiss up to some asshole so they can feed their family. Now if that's a known part of their job description then to each his own. As far as lost income we do nothing. There are plenty of other jobs that do not tip and those people seem to get by just fine.
Wages level...
Asshole in the restaurant...
Wealthy asshole who spends lots of money.
Used to leave great tips.
NOW the staff gets paid the same whether they wait on him or not.
Fire the wait staff, the GREAT wait staff over 1 customer?
Throw the customer out? Spends lots of money.

I am going to say with certainty you've never worked in the industry.
My mother was one of those great ones.
She would bring home 250-300 per night in tips. In 1971.
I know of people in the finer places bringing home 750 a day.
There are places the wait staff PAY to work at because of the tips.
These are talented people who are damned good at their profession and make money for the business.

Ready to pay 8 bucks for a Denny's grand slam?
How about $30 for a lasagna at olive Garden?
How about 130 bucks for a NY Strip at that fancy KC steak house?

You're a waiter pulling 500 a night.
That's $62.50 an hour.

Leave the 20%.
Good for the business, good for the waiter, good for you.

Why should a customer have to pay extra money to tip when in all honesty it is the responsibility of the employer to pay his/her employees? If a customer doesn't tip waiters think it's rude or your considered cheap Basically, it's a win-win situation for employers we pay to keep the business running, we tip employees for just doing their job! It has become the norm for decades tips should be banned in America

Oh, it's so annoying. In other countries you don't have to do this. You go in and know how much you're going to pay. Same with sales tax. Sales tax is included everywhere else. In the US you go to buy something for 99 cents and it's like $1.03, how annoying's that?

Nope! If your gonna complain about not receiving a tip for doing the job you signed up to do then you need to find a better job, find a better employer, or go find a career nobody owes anyone anything as long as your food is paid in full customers shouldn't pay for tips PERIOD
And this is EXACTLY why restaurants, etc. are now finding it difficult to get workers.....

Yeah, and the next person that comes in like the OP doesnt give any tip, so for two hours he made 20 dollars an hour, and if Unkotare shows up, then it 13 dollars for each of three hours. Again, try working as a food server and see how it goes for one year.....Then tell us your story....
You assumed I don't tip because I disagreed with how America normalizes tips at restaurants if you wanna brag about how you had to tip a waitress to make you feel better about yourself, great! speak direct instead of indirect. this goes to show you aren't humble and genuine when giving to others you do it for show when the last time you help someone homeless on the streets without someone asking you? I'll wait...

You assumed I don't tip because I disagreed with how America normalizes tips at restaurants if you wanna brag about how you had to tip a waitress to make you feel better about yourself, great! speak direct instead of indirect. this goes to show you aren't humble and genuine when giving to others you do it for show when the last time you help someone homeless on the streets without someone asking you? I'll wait...
I used to help the homeless, until i found out that enables them to stay homeless. Down here in Florida there are job openings all over the place, now when i see a homeless person, i no longer enable them by not giving them "FREE" money.

Because that's what would replace tips. It's still a MW job until you get experience and demonstrate greatness. If you want to pay double prices so wait staff gets paid a high salary, just give 100% tips. You'll be very popular.

Last edited:
It need not be.
When the customers vote with their wallets and demand highly paid wait staff, they will get them. The fact is, customers don't want to pay hundreds of dollars more just to have dinner out.

There are a lot of professions that "should" be higher paid, but aren't. How about the people who handle your medications every day? They have to carry a certification and certainly deserve more than $12/hour. The ones that are supposed to teach our children? Shouldn't the best be highly rewarded while the worst are sent looking for work? That profession could stand an upgrade from the days when teachers were expected to be single women and thus not paid very well. And on it goes.

I used to help the homeless, until i found out that enables them to stay homeless. Down here in Florida there are job openings all over the place, now when i see a homeless person, i no longer enable them by not giving them "FREE" money.
Hypocrite at its finest you can give a waitress "FREE MONEY" for doing his/her job that they already get paid to do but CAN'T help the homeless because something sparked in the back of your mind that told you "helping the homeless enables them to stay homeless." You are a hypocrite uneducated senseless "Down here in Florida there are job openings all over the place" how will a homeless person find a job if they have no transportation, no clean clothes to look presentable, no phone number to be reached at? No job history? etc a majority of homeless people have mental health issues or alone while people walk passed them like they're not humans.

Forum List

Back