Why RINO hunting is good sport

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
So a frequent complaint by the leftists is that the GOP alienates people by insisting on "purity" of message or somesuch. And they alienate "centrists". Never mind the GOP nominated the Republican who always polled well with Democrats, McCain, and he got slaughtered. That's in the past.

But let's look at what happens to RINOs when they go off the reservation.
Arlen Spector. Six years ago Spector faced a tough primary fight with Pat Toomey. Pres Bush threw a lifeline and campaigned for Spector. He won. Then he opposed many of Bush's policies and when the going got tough he switched to the Democrats, where he provided key votes for many of Obama's programs. Mercifully Sestak dispatched him in the primary and Toomey ended up as senator.

Charlie Crist. Crist was just the kind of "centrist" Democrats always claim Republicans need to be to win. When he lost the primary to Rubio he jumped ship to run as an independent. Everyone swore he was sure to win because Rubio was an extremist. Crist would appeal to both moderate Republicans and Democrats and coast to victory. Last week, his campaign in trouble, Crist declared he would caucus with the Dems if elected. Rubio put him out of our misery.

Lincoln Chaffee. The term RINO was invented with Chaffee in mind. Not only did he end up endorsing Obama but Obama endorsed him over his Democratic rival. I guess treachery does pay.

So my question is, when we have RINO's who will sell out their party for a primary win at the drop of a hat why not run them off pre-emptively?

Iis going to be fun to watch people like you go after the GOP in the coming years.

So my question is, when we have RINO's who will sell out their party for a primary win at the drop of a hat why not run them off pre-emptively?

I completely agree.

It's one thing to have a big tent party, it's entirely another thing to have a party that stands for nothing at all.

But both parties take the big tent route because they need the numbers in Congress to maintain their power there.

I completely agree.

It's one thing to have a big tent party, it's entirely another thing to have a party that stands for nothing at all.

But both parties take the big tent route because they need the numbers in Congress to maintain their power there.

there has to be some kind of core that the GOP stands for. OTherwise one party is pretty much like the other. Of course within that there can be all kinds of divergences. Even in the GOP there are old line Rockefeller Republicans (Bush was really one of them) and western Reagan Republicans.

Forum List

Back