Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet

That's your opinion...

Now I won't pretend to be more knowledgeable than the scientists and engineers at the US dept of Energy, but they say in 30 years without a single new advancement, over 80% of US energy could be renewable. And that a high renewables scenario can meet electricity demand across the country every hour of every day, year-round.

Not my area of expertise but if someone knows more about the US power grid than the engineers and scientists that run and design it...

And you could turn to where the non renewable sources are the supplements. I mean if countries like Costa Rica, Albania, Ethiopia, Paraguay, and Zambia can test out running renewable only and keep the power grid up for months at a time in their tests, I'm sure the US can too.

I mean in just the past two years two more US States have advanced to where 75% of their power is renewable. It's been proven in other countries to be sustainable.

If Zambia is totally dark at night anyway -- I guess solar is not a bad deal.. But it's not possible to run an industrialized FIRST world nation on wind/solar. Certainly NOT 80% of that crap without total duplication of DEPENDABLE power generation (nuclear, gas, coal, hydro) to DUPLICATE that amount of supplements.

And 80% of "US energy" seems to be a claim that includes the transportation sector as well. And that means close to DOUBLING current electrical generation on the grid to power all that.

I doubt ANYONE ANYWHERE ever said the US could be 80% by "renewables" in 30 years as a spokeperson for Dept of Energy.. Maybe a research grant that they PAID for -- but that's not an official statement.

And for the record, all of expertise on powering America DOES NOT reside at the Dept of Energy. It resides within the companies currently keeping the nation warm and lit...

Ahhh yes. Got it. You know more about the power grid in the US than the combined efforts of the scientists and engineers that create and maintain it.

Quite humorous

What's humorous is apparently you know nothing about the subject and want to make shit up without being able to discuss it or back it up...

Where's these links you obviously misunderstood?? Let's go at it.. Don't sit there and cackle like a parrot..
Renewable Electricity Futures Study | Energy Analysis | NREL

Umm takes 2 seconds to educate yourself and find this. Why are you so intent on remaining ignorant. Like for you if you stick your head in the ground you don't have to admit the sun exists.

And I'll be the first to admit I know less about the US power grid than the US dept of energy. Unlike you who seems with zero sources to know more than them

What's your proof now bucko?

Wow... You ARE hysterical.. How much of this did you actually READ?? I'm up to pg3 of Volume 3 of this massive wank-off and find this... Did you get that far?

NOTICE This report was prepared as an account of work sponsored by an agency of the United States government. Neither the United States government nor any agency thereof, nor any of their employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States government or any agency thereof. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States government or any agency thereof.

Lemme translate for ya since I procured research grants for my Silicon Valley company for 5 years from these govt agencies.. The Congress appropriated a huge SHITPOT of money for lab coats to talk nice about renewable energy.. And these agency dweebs did exactly what they were told to do...

INCLUDING postulating and masturbating about field THOUSANDS OF TONS of toxic battery farms to store and filter the UNRELIABLE, FLAKY performance of wind and solar on the Grid.. Which would be the largest enviro Armaggedon of our history if attempted...

There is NO WAY that wind and solar alone are gonna power a single HOSPITAL 24 hours/7 daysaweek/365 daysayear.. Without a couple ACRES of toxic batteries where the Emergency room used to be...

So you are saying it's the most comprehensive study on renewable futures by those most closely working with them. And just using your random rants rather than any actual facts to counter their study?

Got it. Now your proof of otherwise?

That's your opinion...

Now I won't pretend to be more knowledgeable than the scientists and engineers at the US dept of Energy, but they say in 30 years without a single new advancement, over 80% of US energy could be renewable. And that a high renewables scenario can meet electricity demand across the country every hour of every day, year-round.

Not my area of expertise but if someone knows more about the US power grid than the engineers and scientists that run and design it...

And you could turn to where the non renewable sources are the supplements. I mean if countries like Costa Rica, Albania, Ethiopia, Paraguay, and Zambia can test out running renewable only and keep the power grid up for months at a time in their tests, I'm sure the US can too.

I mean in just the past two years two more US States have advanced to where 75% of their power is renewable. It's been proven in other countries to be sustainable.

If Zambia is totally dark at night anyway -- I guess solar is not a bad deal.. But it's not possible to run an industrialized FIRST world nation on wind/solar. Certainly NOT 80% of that crap without total duplication of DEPENDABLE power generation (nuclear, gas, coal, hydro) to DUPLICATE that amount of supplements.

And 80% of "US energy" seems to be a claim that includes the transportation sector as well. And that means close to DOUBLING current electrical generation on the grid to power all that.

I doubt ANYONE ANYWHERE ever said the US could be 80% by "renewables" in 30 years as a spokeperson for Dept of Energy.. Maybe a research grant that they PAID for -- but that's not an official statement.

And for the record, all of expertise on powering America DOES NOT reside at the Dept of Energy. It resides within the companies currently keeping the nation warm and lit...

Ahhh yes. Got it. You know more about the power grid in the US than the combined efforts of the scientists and engineers that create and maintain it.

Quite humorous

What's humorous is apparently you know nothing about the subject and want to make shit up without being able to discuss it or back it up...

Where's these links you obviously misunderstood?? Let's go at it.. Don't sit there and cackle like a parrot..

Umm takes 2 seconds to educate yourself and find this. Why are you so intent on remaining ignorant. Like for you if you stick your head in the ground you don't have to admit the sun exists.

And I'll be the first to admit I know less about the US power grid than the US dept of energy. Unlike you who seems with zero sources to know more than them

Wow... You ARE hysterical.. How much of this did you actually READ?? I'm up to pg3 of Volume 3 of this massive wank-off and find this... Did you get that far?

NOTICE This report was prepared as an account of work sponsored by an agency of the United States government. Neither the United States government nor any agency thereof, nor any of their employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, apparatus, product, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States government or any agency thereof. The views and opinions of authors expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States government or any agency thereof.

Lemme translate for ya since I procured research grants for my Silicon Valley company for 5 years from these govt agencies.. The Congress appropriated a huge SHITPOT of money for lab coats to talk nice about renewable energy.. And these agency dweebs did exactly what they were told to do...

INCLUDING postulating and masturbating about fielding THOUSANDS OF TONS of toxic battery farms to store and filter the UNRELIABLE, FLAKY performance of wind and solar on the Grid.. Which would be the largest enviro Armaggedon of our history if attempted...

There is NO WAY that wind and solar alone are gonna power a single HOSPITAL 24 hours/7 daysaweek/365 daysayear.. Without a couple ACRES of toxic batteries where the Emergency room used to be...

Hmmm better tell Iceland they don't exist. Lol

Fuck you dumb. You went full retard there kiddo

That's your opinion...

Quite humorous

And I lived in Colorado but was driving to Wichita a bit. Drove through Greenville Kansas quite often, a town which after a tornado converted to 100% renewable energy. Missed those toxic fields of batteries outside their hospital.

But sure. Let's just pretend they don't exist.

If fucking Costa Rica can run their hospitals for a there month test 100% on renewables and not lose power you are saying they are more advanced than the US could ever be?

This graphic illustrates that coal use in electricity generation has decreased more than any other fuel source.
electricity-generation-by-major-energy-source.png

Still tossing colorful fancy charts up that you don't understand. Tell me, What do YOU think this proves? Are they counting the massive HYDRO resources that this nation has and environmentalists no longer consider green -- as "renewables"??? Why do ALL those curvy line thingies start going DOWN in about 2008?

What's the gain in natural gas versus renewables since 1980??

What's the probably you're even gonna take a whack at any of this??

:dunno: :auiqs.jpg:

And I lived in Colorado but was driving to Wichita a bit. Drove through Greenville Kansas quite often, a town which after a tornado converted to 100% renewable energy. Missed those toxic fields of batteries outside their hospital.

What "renewable" ran their hospital on nights when there was ZERO solar power and the WIND DID NOT BLOW -- moron?

Just show me ONE MODERN hospital that runs TOTALLY on "renewables".. ANYWHERE in the fucking world...

Quite humorous

If fucking Costa Rica can run their hospitals for a there month test 100% on renewables and not lose power you are saying they are more advanced than the US could ever be?

You've been completely duped and brainwashed by over-zealous propaganda.. I can't fix that. But we can talk this out reasonably or you can remain plumb dumb. Your choice..

Quite humorous

You've been completely duped and brainwashed by over-zealous propaganda.. I can't fix that. But we can talk this out reasonably or you can remain plumb dumb. Your choice..

So no... No facts at all? Got it. Go away. Spare parts and conspiracies unbased

What "renewable" ran their hospital on nights when there was ZERO solar power and the WIND DID NOT BLOW -- moron?

Just show me ONE MODERN hospital that runs TOTALLY on "renewables".. ANYWHERE in the fucking world...

You are the one saying those places don't exist.

Maybe educate yourself instead on how they do rather than just going through life pretending places don't exist?

Let's look at that link shall we?

Waiting on yours I asked you for earlier? Or are you admitting your beliefs are built on rainbows and butterflies now?

The boldest part is the best "projection" I've ever seen on message board. Since rainbows and butterflies are what your beliefs on topic are based on.. If you can't even COMPREHEND how you run a single hospital 80% or 100% on renewables -- and can't find the brains that lied to you about that in a link --

1) Don't blame me.. I'm not the one feeding you garbage disguised as "govt authority" or facts..

2) Good luck depending on the Internet for basing your "beliefs"...

Waiting on yours I asked you for earlier? Or are you admitting your beliefs are built on rainbows and butterflies now?

The boldest part is the best "projection" I've ever seen on message board. Since rainbows and butterflies are what your beliefs on topic are based on.. If you can't even COMPREHEND how you run a single hospital 80% or 100% on renewables -- and can't find the brains that lied to you about that in a link --

1) Don't blame me.. I'm not the one feeding you garbage disguised as "govt authority" or facts..

Actually mine is based on the US department of energy..

The scientists that actually keep our lights on.

Your source is... Plucky hope with a scoopful of ignorance?

Asked you twice for a single source. You've tried distracting from that twice now. Got it. You live in a world where questioning facts is more important than facts and your world is one which needs to pretend real life places don't exist in order to maintain that.

Thanks for playing kiddo. You don't want a fact based conversation, just spout baseless conspiracies. No thanks. I prefer educated factual ones. Welcome to my ignore list. Morons don't get a 3rd strike.

One thing we know we will always have are waves and tides. Our oceans are quite vast and I think the idea used in Japan to use waves to create electricity will begin to garner more backing.

https://sciencing.com/wave-energy-used-generate-electricity-6499297.html

Oh HELL NO ! Enviro nuts lose their brains talking about Tidal power.. You REALLY want to put giant bladed CUISINARTS in sensitive shoreline habitat? Have you ever SEEN the designs of these porpoise slicing monsters?

There's a facility in (Scotland? England that made big promises for tidal power.. They planned to DREDG AND WALL a very sensitive entire river estuary and bay ecosystem to build it and the enviros went NUTS... It sounds nice until you understand how it's gonna actually get built.

Enviros have always had a problem with technology.. The Sierra Club was a leading proponent of Large Scale hydro back in the 1900s and NOW they realize what was compromised to do all that. Like flooding out Hetch Hetchy (Little Yosemite) and ruining salmon migrations, etc...

One thing we know we will always have are waves and tides. Our oceans are quite vast and I think the idea used in Japan to use waves to create electricity will begin to garner more backing.

How Is Wave Energy Used to Generate Electricity?

Oh HELL NO ! Enviro nuts lose their brains talking about Tidal power.. You REALLY want to put giant bladed CUISINARTS in sensitive shoreline habitat? Have you ever SEEN the designs of these porpoise slicing monsters?

There's a facility in (Scotland? England that made big promises for tidal power.. They planned to DREDG AND WALL a very sensitive entire river estuary and bay ecosystem to build it and the enviros went NUTS... It sounds nice until you understand how it's gonna actually get built.

Enviros have always had a problem with technology.. The Sierra Club was a leading proponent of Large Scale hydro back in the 1900s and NOW they realize what was compromised to do all that. Like flooding out Hetch Hetchy (Little Yosemite) and ruining salmon migrations, etc...

You don't have to put them right on the shore line and there are ways to keep from fish getting into them. It doesn't have to be a natural disaster like the three rivers hydro power plant in China.

Asked you twice for a single source. You've tried distracting from that twice now. Got it. You live in a world where questioning facts is more important than facts and your world is one which needs to pretend real life places don't exist in order to maintain that.

Thanks for playing kiddo. You don't want a fact based conversation, just spout baseless conspiracies. No thanks. I prefer educated factual ones. Welcome to my ignore list. Morons don't get a 3rd strike.

There are SEVERAL recent threads in this very forum with testamonials from CERTIFIED eco-friendly leadership that back everything I've asserted... I type my fingers raw with links and data and sources...

You're just too far behind and too arrogant and trollish.. Go read some threads I've commented in this week.. You'll find reasons why wind and solar are not alternatives to any of our existing power grid generators.. They are limited supplements...

You don't have to put them right on the shore line and there are ways to keep from fish getting into them. It doesn't have to be a natural disaster like the three rivers hydro power plant in China.

Exactly . The funny thing is that idiot is probably still railing on that you can't have a majority power grid based on renewables even though more and more countries and states are doing exactly that. Like 71% of Oregon's utility power comes from renewables... I'm sure he thinks that they've got a bunch of 1970s double a batteries leaking all over the land LOL and rolling blackouts (eatons annual blackout tracker actually shows fewer blackouts in Oregon per year as they've moved their grid to more renewables... But who needs facts eh?) Damn I've got to erase them from the real world now. Lol. I mean you want to talk about fucking up the environment instead of the battery joke let's look at oil. What was that? 5 million barrels dumped by deep water horizon? But instead let's focus on fiction and the battery that leaked in my Walkman 30 years ago... Haha

Must be fun. You don't like reality, just pretend it doesn't exist. Not my way to live life, but seems to work for him.

How much of the world does he have to go through life pretending it doesn't exist to keep his idea up.

Yeah, those were cool talking points in the 80s bro. Keep up the trolling arrogance that you know more about the US power grid than the fucking US dept of energy. That takes some major arrogance. Would be like me going up to Elon Musks best rocket scientist and saying he is doing it wrong and I know better. That is some a grade arrogance right there. I can't do that. Ill defer to the experts with the most comprehensive study on the situation ever, and not have to pretend that some states don't exist.

Last edited:

Well you work on keeping the marine life "from getting into them".. Even if you destroy PART of the food chain or change the sedimentation, it would be an issue.. Not to mention the maintenance aspect of putting in DEEPER water. And do you really NEED a scientist to tell that TIDAL ACTION does not EXIST "farther out" from shore?

I actually have seen analysis about building major Hydro plants. Long considered by everyone to be ZERO carbon dioxide sources. But several studies have found that depends on WHERE and how you build them.

First off you're drowning and killing more trees and vegetation behind the dam than it would take to run SEVERAL coals a decade or more to burn.. That stuff decays perfectly into CO2 underwater... They compared dams in the tropics to dams in northern latitudes for CO2 "lifecycle" and found that the tropical ones had MORE emissions than burning the equivalent amount of coal for a couple decades...

This is how we learn what's green and what's not... Opinions and knowledge change. And we need to think things thru without the unicorns farting glitter and overlooking the REAL enviro concerns..

Forum List

Back