Why people weren't fat 30 years ago

Because everybody moved more in general.

1. People died sooner and didn't have the luxury of getting old and fat.
2. They didn't have Oreo cookies back then, or Big Macs you can get in the drive thru.
3. They didn't have escalators or cars that take work away,
then have stair climbing machines and stationary bikes to give that work back.
4. They didn't have internet for communications and shopping from home.
(or dating or gaming sites where anyone can hang out with anyone no matter how "fat" you may be!)

In the 70's, which is when Marion's vid is from, we had everything you listed except the internet, and most of my old relatives lived into their eighties.
It's true we're more sedentary, but eating habits have vastly deteriorated. Three squares that we sat down to on a daily basis and not a lot of snacking in between was the norm. Grazing is deceptively fattening.

Hi OldLady and ricechickie

You both beat me to correcting my own msg.
I thought MM was addressing the older periods that I normally compare us to.

It's because I am seriously proposing that people like us all get to work
"colonizing" the border to be sustainable communities; and it IS like the Wild Wild West all over again.
Except the gangs with their cult beheadings and trafficking are much more vicious, where even
the Mexican cops and govt have given in to drug lord corruption running everything even their media.

I went back and edited my msg to show I was addressing the days of colonization
when people had to build their own houses and towns from scratch.

Because seriously that's what I believe it will take to fix the border
and bring people of all parties together. We forget how much work
it is to fix things until we have to do it ourselves. I think we need to
train our current and future generations to know the work it takes
to build a govt, to manage production and resources, businesses and schools.

Before we gripe and moan about "govt" not giving us health care and immigration solutions!

Sorry if I was addressing a different context than what Marion Morrison originally intended.
Thanks for the correction, which I added before I saw that you two were already on it!

We've demonized labor; those who actually do the revenue generating work in any vocational area, we treat and pay them like sharecroppers and deny them the ability to organize like the “job creator” class does, so everyone sees themselves as an overseer, or wants to be. To actually work is for suckers in this society. Listen to Don closely, he's more loose lipped about it. It slipped outta Romney's mouth as well, and it's always been all over Hilary's face. You little fucks don't matter, we'll take from you lot to bail out Wall Street even if 90% of the population is against it. There's your "representation".

GTFO here with your "excess labor value" Marxist bullshit you twatwaffle. That only works in enslaved people societies.

I like what Emily said.

Make it happen on your own with the tools you have and whatnot.

I rather think working folk in america can figure out what's transpired over the past half century.

Wrong it was not because of a TV show, but rather the TV itself.
30 years ago people actually had to get up and walk to the tv when shows like "Dance Party" came on
Today all you have to do is hit the button on the remote to change the channel without ever having to leave your couch.

Hah! Yesterday my friend was telling me his son just speaks commands and changes channels.

Sometimes he cruises by his room and says "off" as a joke.

1. People died sooner and didn't have the luxury of getting old and fat.
2. They didn't have Oreo cookies back then, or Big Macs you can get in the drive thru.
3. They didn't have escalators or cars that take work away,
then have stair climbing machines and stationary bikes to give that work back.
4. They didn't have internet for communications and shopping from home.
(or dating or gaming sites where anyone can hang out with anyone no matter how "fat" you may be!)

In the 70's, which is when Marion's vid is from, we had everything you listed except the internet, and most of my old relatives lived into their eighties.
It's true we're more sedentary, but eating habits have vastly deteriorated. Three squares that we sat down to on a daily basis and not a lot of snacking in between was the norm. Grazing is deceptively fattening.

Hi OldLady and ricechickie

You both beat me to correcting my own msg.
I thought MM was addressing the older periods that I normally compare us to.

It's because I am seriously proposing that people like us all get to work
"colonizing" the border to be sustainable communities; and it IS like the Wild Wild West all over again.
Except the gangs with their cult beheadings and trafficking are much more vicious, where even
the Mexican cops and govt have given in to drug lord corruption running everything even their media.

I went back and edited my msg to show I was addressing the days of colonization
when people had to build their own houses and towns from scratch.

Because seriously that's what I believe it will take to fix the border
and bring people of all parties together. We forget how much work
it is to fix things until we have to do it ourselves. I think we need to
train our current and future generations to know the work it takes
to build a govt, to manage production and resources, businesses and schools.

Before we gripe and moan about "govt" not giving us health care and immigration solutions!

Sorry if I was addressing a different context than what Marion Morrison originally intended.
Thanks for the correction, which I added before I saw that you two were already on it!

We've demonized labor; those who actually do the revenue generating work in any vocational area, we treat and pay them like sharecroppers and deny them the ability to organize like the “job creator” class does, so everyone sees themselves as an overseer, or wants to be. To actually work is for suckers in this society. Listen to Don closely, he's more loose lipped about it. It slipped outta Romney's mouth as well, and it's always been all over Hilary's face. You little fucks don't matter, we'll take from you lot to bail out Wall Street even if 90% of the population is against it. There's your "representation".

GTFO here with your "excess labor value" Marxist bullshit you twatwaffle. That only works in enslaved people societies.

I like what Emily said.

I rather think working folk in america can figure out what's transpired over the past half century.

I rather think you find it hard to make the distinction between your sphincter and a hole in the ground.

Think of those heading out West (living in a wagon with young kids for months). Have to hunt along the way or eat salted pork out of a wooden barrel. No Huggies or Pampers. Skinning a varmint in front of the kids for mommy to cook over the campfire. Lucky if you had matches.

Can we take a bath in that cold river next week? Please, you really stink.

Now you are in an air-conditioned SUV with cellphone(s) with 7 leather seats. Gas every 250-400 miles with unlimited food. Airplanes for $100 to get you 500 miles (with a cookie and of course, a diet-coke). Few hours sitting vs. a few months work.

I like what Emily said.

It's pretty cool to know how to repair your own house or how to attack thinning a stand of forest, but I don't think we necessarily have to go back to that. Where I live, a lot of people still do backbreaking "menial" labor like fishing, clamming, lumbering, carpentry. And we also led the state by about fifteen years with our opioid epidemic because these guys were hurting when they got to 50 or so. Some a lot younger.
We have become sedentary but our eating habits remain those of people who went out to clear the back 40 before breakfast. Way too large servings and there is nothing wrong with cooking from scratch most of the time, which is a lot less calories usually. I am lucky I have always eaten as much and whatever I wanted and never got fat, but when I see the way most folks eat these days, and the way they feed their kids--it's not going to end well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- my addition to Marions thoughts is that 30 , 50 years ago people actually WORKED . Thats true of me on my railroad job and then i relaxed on weekends at my house , building my house , cutting wood for heating , putting in a garden , raking leaves and generally maintaining and improving my land as i RELAXED and moved into an evening with a big meal of flame cooked meat , bread and beer . Might sound like the 1880s and it was like the 1880s except we had the modern conveniences . 30 - 50 years ago [and earler] many / maybe most people actually worked !!

I like what Emily said.

It's pretty cool to know how to repair your own house or how to attack thinning a stand of forest, but I don't think we necessarily have to go back to that. Where I live, a lot of people still do backbreaking "menial" labor like fishing, clamming, lumbering, carpentry. And we also led the state by about fifteen years with our opioid epidemic because these guys were hurting when they got to 50 or so. Some a lot younger.
We have become sedentary but our eating habits remain those of people who went out to clear the back 40 before breakfast. Way too large servings and there is nothing wrong with cooking from scratch most of the time, which is a lot less calories usually. I am lucky I have always eaten as much and whatever I wanted and never got fat, but when I see the way most folks eat these days, and the way they feed their kids--it's not going to end well.

I ran out of water week before last. I had to fix that, that's serious.
Then I did everything I knew how to and failed.

I exhausted my resources by 2pm.

Then I had to pay the man.

Who's the man? The one that makes it happen.

I like what Emily said.

There's profit in this for the health"care" industry and pharma industry, and there's no place in american society for investing in society or in a healthy educated population; we don't do that like advanced civilized post industrial nations elsewhere. Unless the "job creator" class sees a need for a return to more vigorous labor force, meh, let 'em eat cake and die. First global capitalism decided it no longer required the american worker for production, and now it has decided it no longer requires the american worker for the mass consumption it requires. They have Asia for both now. Capital moves on, labor is geographically anchored much moreso than capital. America is being economically colonized and hollowed out just as we've done to others.

I like what Emily said.

Sorry to hear your not even your own man. That must be quite a blow.

I like what Emily said.

Sorry to hear your not even your own man. That must be quite a blow.

I am my own man.

Just not when it comes to that type of work and I'm man enough to get it done no matter what.

That makes me the man in the end.

that being said , it is impolite and none of my business to say anything about a strangers weight , looks , smell , brains or anything else , imo . If i don't like anything about some stranger then i just stay away from and ignore them Lucy !!
I'm glad to hear you aren't going to shoot them, Pismoe.
----------------------------------------------------- its my opinion that ugly , fat , smelly or unfortunate but peaceful people that i run into in my daily comings and goings are alright with me and i treat them as normal people just as the good Lord would want me to treat them !! However , i do not seek out the people that i describe and then invite them to my house OldLady .

I like what Emily said.

Ah, but without the man who pays the man, you would still not have water. So feel big.
I've had that experience myself using the Readers Digest Complete Do It Yourself Manual. Plumbing is inevitably best left to plumbers.

that being said , it is impolite and none of my business to say anything about a strangers weight , looks , smell , brains or anything else , imo . If i don't like anything about some stranger then i just stay away from and ignore them Lucy !!
----------------------------------------------------- its my opinion that ugly , fat , smelly or unfortunate but peaceful people that i run into in my daily comings and goings are alright with me and i treat them as normal people just as the good Lord would want me to treat them !! However , i do not seek out the people that i describe and then invite them to my house OldLady .
How wonderfully generous of you to treat "those people" as if they were "normal". Are you "normal"?

How wonderfully generous of you to treat "those people" as if they were "normal". Are you "normal"?
--------------------------------------- And YES , it is generous of me to treat ALL unfortunate people as normal people . Heck , OldLady thought that i might sho0t them Fenton !!

--------------------------------------- And YES , it is generous of me to treat ALL unfortunate people as normal people . Heck , OldLady thought that i might sho0t them Fenton !!
Well, that was Lucy's idea, actually. Which shouldn't surprise us any. I think Fenton's point is that they are "normal," even though they're big.

Well, that was Lucy's idea, actually. Which shouldn't surprise us any. I think Fenton's point is that they are "normal," even though they're big.
The power structure understands full well it has lost all semblance of legitimacy. The masses must be kept divided, distracted, confused, anxious and incoherent.

Excess labor? That must be why liberals want to keep all those illegal Mexicans here!

The power structure understands full well it has lost all semblance of legitimacy. The masses must be kept divided, distracted, confused, anxious and incoherent.
That's interesting, Fenton, but what has that to do with diet and exercise?

Who was it that disagreed with me? Oh yeah it was ChrisL.

Some people are just born big and that's how it is.

It doesn't mean they aren't in shape or anything, (as I've witnessed firsthand)

It just means they're shaped different.

Now as for here and now, most of the problem is those phones :mad:

A sedentary lifestyle, and lack of cooking for one's self.

I can bring home the meat and put it on the table, baby!

Oh! That just brought back memories of a certain friends pics of his parents we found. Not good. Daddy was laying on the table. :badgrin:

We dubbed that "Meat on the table" :D

That's interesting, Fenton, but what has that to do with diet and exercise?
Look where every "conversation" winds up.

Forum List

Back