Why "liberals" shun the term using "progressives" instead...

Ban this ban that is the mantra of today's so called liberals.

I dont advocate banning anything. Common sense tell me we have enough guns state side to arm each man, woman and child with in our borders. However, its about time we realize fawning over guns is a bit weird and we certainly have a gun problem. Coupled with a crazy person problem. To do nothing would be a failure of epic proportions.

Where did I mention guns?

tell me who is behind banning trans fats, large sodas, etc.
For Christ's sake we have wacko pols in cities like NY and Philly that are banning giving food to homeless people

One who truly believes in liberty would never tell someone else what he can and can't eat, drink , smoke, etc.

Ban this ban that is the mantra of today's so called liberals.

I dont advocate banning anything. Common sense tell me we have enough guns state side to arm each man, woman and child with in our borders. However, its about time we realize fawning over guns is a bit weird and we certainly have a gun problem. Coupled with a crazy person problem. To do nothing would be a failure of epic proportions.

For Christ's sake we have wacko pols in cities like NY and Philly that are banning giving food to homeless people

One who truly believes in liberty would never tell someone else what he can and can't eat, drink , smoke, etc.

Gee....that sounds so simple.

Or who to love or who to marry.

Yeah and today's so called liberals aka progressives want to make it so complicated.

Yeah and today's so called liberals aka progressives want to make it so complicated.

If we just didn't have any rules and regulations.....things would be great.

In fact... why do "liberals" SHUN the label "Liberals"???
Ever hear Obama say "I'm a Liberal"????
Why are they so afraid?

Maybe it is because of this study...
"Gallup finds 42% of Americans describing themselves as either very conservative or conservative.
This is up slightly from the 40% seen for all of 2009 and contrasts with the 20% calling themselves liberal or very liberal."
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

So someone is LYING... because Conservatives OUTNUMBER Liberals over 2 to 1... 50% more Conservatives then Liberals!!!!

You are the ones doing the lying, because you call people liberals who aren't very conservative in your black and white world. The poll is based on self-indentification which is faulty with conservatives. If you tested those 42% of Americans who describe themselves as conversative or very conservative, the very conservative would check out fairly accurately. The conservatives would have a lot of libertarians and moderates. People can identify with the word and not really be what the word truly is.

Why are they so afraid?

"Gallup finds 42% of Americans describing themselves as either very conservative or conservative.
This is up slightly from the 40% seen for all of 2009 and contrasts with the 20% calling themselves liberal or very liberal."

So someone is LYING... because Conservatives OUTNUMBER Liberals over 2 to 1... 50% more Conservatives then Liberals!!!!

Obama doesn't say "I'm a liberal" because he has no reason to.

Also probably has to do with the fact that he's not a liberal at all. He's a slightly right moderate. He just happens to be left of all you right wing kooks.

Nothing wrong with liberal or progressive.

I consider myself to be both liberal and progressive. They're two different things. They're not just synonyms.

Why are they so afraid?

Obama doesn't say "I'm a liberal" because he has no reason to.

Also probably has to do with the fact that he's not a liberal at all. He's a slightly right moderate. He just happens to be left of all you right wing kooks.

Nothing wrong with liberal or progressive.

I consider myself to be both liberal and progressive. They're two different things. They're not just synonyms.

Obama is not right moderate or even moderate. He isn' libertarian and he isn't a statist. He's a liberal, but not an extreme liberal. I think he's realistic about politics and knows you have to compromise to get things done.

It's called marketing.

Progressive has a better ring to it than liberal.

Liberal is also not very accurate. Most of our 'liberals' in this country would be considered conservatives in most of Europe. Progressive or moderate makes more sense for most of us. There are a few true leftist out there but not many.

Just as conservative doesn't really fit for many on the right. Fundamentalist might be a better fit.

It's called marketing.

Liberal is also not very accurate. Most of our 'liberals' in this country would be considered conservatives in most of Europe. Progressive or moderate makes more sense for most of us. There are a few true leftist out there but not many.

Just as conservative doesn't really fit for many on the right. Fundamentalist might be a better fit.

kind of like raging reactionaries calling themselves 'conservative' and saying they're for 'small goverment' while at the same time asking government to insert itself into the most personal business of individuals?

that type of marketing?

or the type of marketing where someone calls themselves a small government conservative, votes for tax cuts for rich people, supports deficit spending on unnecessary wars without so much as a word... but then lose their minds when the executive branch changes hands and suddenly claim 'fiscal responsibility'?

that kind of marketing?

Last edited:
It's called marketing.

It's actually more like words in English have multiple meanings and people in America often think permissive when they hear the word liberal. Since the liberal's agenda is progress, the connotation of progressive fits their identity more than the word liberal.

The liberal agenda is progressively eroding our individual rights in favor of collective rights

The liberal agenda is progressively eroding our individual rights in favor of collective rights

What part of the ‘liberal agenda’ is doing that?

The part of the ‘liberal agenda’ that ended segregation and discrimination? Or was it the part of the ‘liberal agenda’ that ensured individual liberty concerning due process and privacy rights? Or is it the ‘liberal agenda’ that today is fighting for the equal protection rights of same-sex couples?

When one surveys the last 58 years of Constitutional case law, we find only liberals fighting for the individual liberty of average Americans, from an itinerant laborer in Florida denied his 6th Amendment right to counsel, to an interracial couple in Virginia denied their 14th Amendment right to equal protection of the law.

So, again, you’ll understand why your statement makes no sense, given the fact liberals have been the primary champions of individual liberty.

The radical reactionaries try to redefine traditional terminology but keep failing.

I've never referred to myself as a "progressive", always a "liberal".

I use both, depending on proper use within the context of the sentence. Example: I am a Liberal (uppercase) and have a progressive ideology.

And I vote Democrat, a party that need not hide behind smokescreens, as do Republicans behind the "GOP" label.

Nah, they're both eroding our rights, just from opposite ends.

I'm trying to understand HOW "conservatives" are eroding "our rights"??

Most conservatives are AGAINST the destruction of the rights of 1.3 million future voters a year!
Most conservatives are AGAINST sending money to China to fund studies of the drinking habits of Chinese prostitutes.
Most conservatives are in FAVOR of the USA reducing risks of another Exxon Valdez by shipping oil via a 250 barrel /mile pipeline vs 1 million barrel tanker on the open sea!
Most conservatives are in FAVOR of prosecuting the existing gun laws as Bush did while Obama has dropped 40% of gun prosecution cases... why?
Most conservatives FAVOR the individual having MORE responsibility like oh say NOT requiring a law against texting while driving.. duh.. that sounds like common sense right?
But how many idiots are asking for MORE laws like "If you text while driving ..." How f...king stupid!

So again... tell me where the conservatives are "eroding rights" just in the above illustrations?
I mean we don't want to pollute the oceans by shipping 1 million barrels a day..
We definitely don't want to waste tax dollars studying chinese prostitutes drinking...
And we definitely want the gun laws to be prosecuted at the same level as Bush did!!! Not 40% less!

By the way is there an equivalent to the "Log Cabin Republicans" in the Progressive/Liberal party??? Just curious if you knew!!!

i've never referred to myself as a "progressive", always a "liberal".

i use both, depending on proper use within the context of the sentence. Example: I am a liberal (uppercase) and have a progressive ideology.

And i vote democrat, a party that need not hide behind smokescreens, as do republicans behind the "gop" label.

010110010110111101110101001000000110000101110010011001010010000001100110011101010110110001101100001000000110111101100110001000000111001101101000011010010111010000100001

Forum List

Back