Why "liberals" shun the term using "progressives" instead...

It's called marketing.

Progressive has a better ring to it than liberal.

Liberal is also not very accurate. Most of our 'liberals' in this country would be considered conservatives in most of Europe. Progressive or moderate makes more sense for most of us. There are a few true leftist out there but not many.

Just as conservative doesn't really fit for many on the right. Fundamentalist might be a better fit.

kind of like raging reactionaries calling themselves 'conservative' and saying they're for 'small goverment' while at the same time asking government to insert itself into the most personal business of individuals?

that type of marketing?

or the type of marketing where someone calls themselves a small government conservative, votes for tax cuts for rich people, supports deficit spending on unnecessary wars without so much as a word... but then lose their minds when the executive branch changes hands and suddenly claim 'fiscal responsibility'?

that kind of marketing?

Or the type of marketing where the ones who call themselves conservatives and deride any kind of government safety net or welfare system, all the while collecting every kind of welfare they can get their hands on.

Or the ones who claim FEMA goes to undeserving folks who shouldn't live in disaster areas, then boo hoo when disaster hits their area.... then FEMA moves too slowly.

Or the ones who claim they are able to live their lives completely without government intrusion....when every product they consume, every road they drive on, every utility and service they use and depend on had government involvement in some form or another.

Buyer beware with the type of marketing done by the Hypocrite Party.

Who pays for the government that builds the roads, runs FEMA,etc. by the way most utilities are privately owned not government..?

Explain where the revenue comes from that runs the government???

In fact... why do "liberals" SHUN the label "Liberals"???
Ever hear Obama say "I'm a Liberal"????
Why are they so afraid?

Maybe it is because of this study...
"Gallup finds 42% of Americans describing themselves as either very conservative or conservative.
This is up slightly from the 40% seen for all of 2009 and contrasts with the 20% calling themselves liberal or very liberal."
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

So someone is LYING... because Conservatives OUTNUMBER Liberals over 2 to 1... 50% more Conservatives then Liberals!!!!

I prefer the term "I-shit-smarter-than-you".

So someone is LYING... because Conservatives OUTNUMBER Liberals over 2 to 1... 50% more Conservatives then Liberals!!!!
.....And, Obama
STILL WON!!!!!

493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
493.gif
493.gif

e00570d17a1fe3dcad7dabff3ebAbbie-Hoffman.jpg

Forcing people to buy health insurance

Telling people they can't buy a 22 oz soda or eat certain oils

Telling businesses they can't hire and fire anyone they want

Banning charity to homeless people in the form of food

And don't forget

Democrats or so called liberals/ progressives filibustered the civil rights act for nearly 2 months but now seem to take all the credit for it.

When you get a majority and a SCOTUS that agrees with you, do as you please.

And if you wish to live 49 years ago, go ahead. Normal people want nothing to do with that era: civil rights, Vactican II, Vietnam, KKK, race murders, etc. But to play the game just once: tell us who the GOP candidate was that voted against the Civil Rights Act.

We live in a constitutional republic and this is the way it's done.

What does 49 years ago have to do with anything?

If the dimwitcraps had it their way back then there would have been no civil rights act but you fucking sheep forget about that don't you? It was a republican senator who forced the vote.

What don't you understand about that and what gives the dimwitcraps the right to claim all the glory for the civil rights act when they were against it.

You would have called them obstructionist

You're to deep in the sheepthink to see your own hypocrisy.
You are the original in "sheepthink" if you believe the Civil Rights Act vote was anything more than geography than ideology.

I will help you: (1) both parties' northern and western senators and congresspeople voted overwhelmingly for it, (2) both parties' southern senators and congresspeople voted overwhelmingly against it, (3) Republican southern senators and congresspeople voted in higher %s against it than Democratize southern senators and representatives, and (4) which you should have known but you were singing "Obama hates me this I know, because the radicals' Bubble told me so."

Stop acting like a sheeple.

When you get a majority and a SCOTUS that agrees with you, do as you please.

And if you wish to live 49 years ago, go ahead. Normal people want nothing to do with that era: civil rights, Vactican II, Vietnam, KKK, race murders, etc. But to play the game just once: tell us who the GOP candidate was that voted against the Civil Rights Act.

We live in a constitutional republic and this is the way it's done.

If the dimwitcraps had it their way back then there would have been no civil rights act but you fucking sheep forget about that don't you? It was a republican senator who forced the vote.

What don't you understand about that and what gives the dimwitcraps the right to claim all the glory for the civil rights act when they were against it.

You are the original in "sheepthink" if you believe the Civil Rights Act vote was anything more than geography than ideology.

I will help you: (1) both parties' northern and western senators and congresspeople voted overwhelmingly for it, (2) both parties' southern senators and congresspeople voted overwhelmingly against it, (3) Republican southern senators and congresspeople voted in higher %s against it than Democratize southern senators and representatives, and (4) which you should have known but you were singing "Obama hates me this I know, because the radicals' Bubble told me so."

More excuses.

You would have called your beloved dimwitcraps obstructionists and now you're bending over for them.

And I have never sung about any corrupt power hungry narcissistic politician no matter what party they were from.

You see unlike you I know that government and the people in it are never to be trusted.

More excuses.

You would have called your beloved dimwitcraps obstructionists and now you're bending over for them.

And I have never sung about any corrupt power hungry narcissistic politician no matter what party they were from.

You see unlike you I know that government and the people in it are never to be trusted.

Typical right-wing anarchist!

More excuses.

Not trusting government is not the same as wanting no government

Run along to the abattoir little sheep.

In fact... why do "liberals" SHUN the label "Liberals"???
Ever hear Obama say "I'm a Liberal"????
Why are they so afraid?

Maybe it is because of this study...
"Gallup finds 42% of Americans describing themselves as either very conservative or conservative.
This is up slightly from the 40% seen for all of 2009 and contrasts with the 20% calling themselves liberal or very liberal."
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

Dude you are working from old info

Skull,

Please list 5 ways that our federal government.....the way it is right now.....makes your life better.

Thanks.

It doesn't

My local government is more directly responsible for any conveniences I pay for.

And tell me what did I get from the feds that is worth the 250K in income taxes I have paid over the past 5 years.

More excuses.

The government also involves the democratic process where the people who won the election are suppose to get changes. When has the right-wing tried to accomplish anything?

If I were to label myself it would be liberal progressive probabilist with touches of pragmatic communitarian recognizing it is most often luck or the hand we are dealt that matters and not the stuff circling around in our heads, and we should enjoy this time, work hard, measure the words we use and foster this earth we walk - and help others too.

And consider no nation was ever founded by conservatives, for in order to do so, you'd need to stop whining and do something - or by clueless libertarians who think all things started at their birth.

"If by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a 'Liberal,' then I'm proud to say I'm a 'Liberal.'" President John F Kennedy on September 14, 1960

"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things...every one! So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor." Matt Santos

"Before 1950 the political designation of “conservative” was disavowed, if not altogether disliked, by most Americans, including Republicans. Yet very soon after, and for the first time in American history, ideological “conservatism” became a more than acceptable political designation. By the 1980s, more Americans called themselves “conservatives” than “liberals.” Much of this was ambiguous, since many Americans were not truly conservative at all, except for their opposition to liberals." John Lukacs 'American Nationalism'

Skull,

Please list 5 ways that our federal government.....the way it is right now.....makes your life better.

Thanks.

It doesn't

My local government is more directly responsible for any conveniences I pay for.

And tell me what did I get from the feds that is worth the 250K in income taxes I have paid over the past 5 years.

A military capable of blowing up the planet a few times over.

The government also involves the democratic process where the people who won the election are suppose to get changes. When has the right-wing tried to accomplish anything?

Hey I love government gridlock. It means that at least for a little while longer my life liberty and property are safe.

Skull,

Thanks.

It doesn't

You have been answered cleanly and appropriately. Libertarianism and Anarchism are mental diseases.

Skull,

Thanks.

It doesn't

A military capable of blowing up the planet a few times over.

Gee thanks. NOT

It's called marketing.

Progressive has a better ring to it than liberal.

Liberal is also not very accurate. Most of our 'liberals' in this country would be considered conservatives in most of Europe. Progressive or moderate makes more sense for most of us. There are a few true leftist out there but not many.

Just as conservative doesn't really fit for many on the right. Fundamentalist might be a better fit.

Branding actually. Marketing is the study of markets, and market responses to words and phrases.

For example, focus-group testing "Death Panels," "Death Tax," "Partial Birth Abortion." If they prove to be gems, get out there and start brand-building by having them repeated, virbatim and ad nasseum by the dutiful little soldiers who warm seats on the right side of the aisle in Congress, and do little else ... but no prob since it only costs 100s of millions a year to have them try to fuck with anything coming from Obama, good or bad.

You are splitting hairs. Branding is a response to marketing.

Skull,

Thanks.

It doesn't

You have been answered cleanly and appropriately. Libertarianism and Anarchism are mental diseases.

I am neither of those.

Believing that the government is the answer to ll your woes is a mental illness.

Learned Helplessness.

You are not an American for sure, Skull Pilot. No one said "government is the answer" to everything, except you. But government does have a role to play, and you can't get away from that. Yes, you are as helpless as they come.

And pretending that the left wants gov to control everything is a fucking lie

Forum List

Back