Why John McCain Lost

USJD

Rookie
Oct 27, 2008
We saw some of the "old" John McCain in his concession speech. I say "old" because as this campaign wore on revelations from John McCain's past called into question whether he has been moderate or a reformer or only adopted those strategies when his political life was on line. The same could be said for President Elect Obama too as he in the past has a very liberal voting record.

In this election as in ALL elections the candidate that wins swing voters, independents, and moderates WINS!!! The John McCain we saw in 2000 was a candidate that appealed to those swing voters. John McCain after 2000 changed and supported a President who had no interest in governing with any degree of moderation or compromise. This caused swing voters like me to take pause. What has happened to John McCain I asked myself? Most candidates and successful Presidents will usually appeal to their base in the primaries but quickly move to center as they surface as their party's nominee. John McCain didn't so why? McCain has been around for 27 years in Washington he knows the game and has seen it played over and over again.

John McCain could have elected to move to center as the general election approached and YES the extremist elements of the GOP would have either stayed home or shown up in a lot smaller numbers; however, then McCain's arguments about experience and his wisdom with the surge strategy would have connected to the swing voters. Had John McCain taken this approach he could have very well been the President Elect today.

Barack Obama moved to center and painted McCain as an extension of Bush from the beginning of his campaign. Moderates bought Obama's message WHY? Obama used his race to his advantage; past African American candidates like Jesse Jackson ran as the "black" candidate and had huge problems attracting voters outside the African American community. Barack Obama ran as the candidate for all Americans by talking about what all Americans desperately want in our politics, "not a Blue America or a Red America but the United States of America." Americans are tired of the constant path of politicians constantly running for re election instead of actually solving problems. Americans don't want gimmicks or short term fixes, like the supposed campaign suspension McCain tried during the financial bailout debate, or the choice of Sarah Palin.

Barack Obama, acted in the financial crisis like a President should, stand back and wait to see what Congress comes up with and then decide whether you are going to support it or not. John McCain IMHO used this crisis for political gain when he announced his campaign suspension and tried to postpone the first debate. Obama showed he has the ability to think things out in his debate performances instead of being petty. John McCain talked the talk but didn't walk the walk in his debate performances. McCain showed his very nasty side in the debates many times over, just look what happened at the end of the second debate he avoided Obama when he wished to talk with him after the debate had ended.

In the end, John McCain wanted to be next President given his campaign implosion in 2000 at the hands Karl Rove and his bag of dirty tricks. He never let it go IMHO and YES IT WAS THE CHEAPEST OF ALL POLITICAL SMEARS to imply McCain had fathered his adopted child with a black man in South Carolina. John McCain is a fighter, look at the state of his campaign in the summer of 2007 and he came back, if that doesn't convince you maybe his 5 1/2 year stay in the Hanoi Hilton will. John McCain on the last day of the campaign showed what he is made out of by hitting seven states and then two more on Election Day.

In the end, one must ask was John McCain ever the reformer he made himself out to be or an empty suit reformer who only preached the mantra of reform when it was to his political advantage by embracing the most extreme wing of his party in both the primary season, and the general election. Had John McCain used his fighting spirit and stayed the moderate he claimed to be in 2000 he could have MAYBE pulled this off. However, I must wonder now was he ever a reformer?

i was really pulling for mccain....i wanted him to be the person who would step up and do what needed to be done...i dont think anyone can overcome the feelings caused by the ambush in sc...when i saw mccain embrace bush after that...i just had to grimace...his speech last night was moving...it saddened me that it was over for McCain. He will never made another run for office. reflecting all it..its a world gone crazy thing...obama beating mccain..who really would have thunk it? i think the economy killed mccain and his selection of vp's. He could have picked a qualified woman.
Where do we go from here?

No dis-respect intended - however, no one could have gone up against obama and won. Obama fever hit america earlier this year when he beat the clinton machine. Gathering massive crowds, raising hundreds of millions of dollars.... Nothing could've gone up against Obama and won. McCain picked the most conservative player on the field right now and rallied his base. Unfortunately, his base is shrinking. Social conservatism is dead. The Dixecrats are dead. America is now a center-left country.

No dis-respect intended - however, no one could have gone up against obama and won. Obama fever hit america earlier this year when he beat the clinton machine. Gathering massive crowds, raising hundreds of millions of dollars.... Nothing could've gone up against Obama and won. McCain picked the most conservative player on the field right now and rallied his base. Unfortunately, his base is shrinking. Social conservatism is dead. The Dixecrats are dead. America is now a center-left country.

Nothing disrespectful about that post brother.

Obama could not have pulled this off if he had run after Bill Ckinton left office. The country was still in good shape. Obamamania blew up because of the failures of the right, not because of the successes of the left.

Even many republicans acknowledge that the deck was stacked .. by Bush .. and there was no way they could have won, especially when the economy took a dive.

I think he was damned either way: moderate or conservative. The reason I say this is because had he run as a moderate, Huckabee would have probably won the nomination and had he run the way he did (as a conservative), Hillary/Obama would have probably won the general election. This is why I say the Republican party needs to unite itself instead of being split in two: conservatives won't win the general election, but moderates won't win the nomination. I've seen this in California for most of my life.

Last edited:
Noboby but another black canidate could've overcome the 97% support from the black vote.
According to the exit polls, only 13% of blacks voted in this election, which I believe was the same percentage in 2004. So, obviously, your theory is flawed.

According to the exit polls, only 13% of blacks voted in this election, which I believe was the same percentage in 2004. So, obviously, your theory is flawed.

Democrats cannot win the White House without them, but overwhelming black votes does not guarantee democrats will win.

Clinton could not have won either time without overwhelming black support.

But both Gore and Kerry got almost 90% and they both lost.

However, your figure of 13% may be the percentage of the total, not 13% of blacks voting.

No question black turnout and votes shattered all previous records.

Last edited:
I know one thing.

THe media had nothing what so ever to do with an Obama victory

Of the blacks that voted ,yes maybe it was 13% but all of them voted for "THAT ONE".

Same could be said if all the whites that voted voted for McCain. THAT ONE would not have been elected.

This is not necessarily true.

You may not agree, but Ron Paul is the only one who could have matched up against Obama. All the other Republican candidates could have been compared with Bush, but Paul couldn't have.

Paul's foreign policy is appealing to centrists and leftists, and he could have taken the center vote that McCain obviously couldn't get. The only reason he couldn't get the center vote is because he was too closely identified with Bush.

Paul was the only REAL maverick in the race out of the Republicans. He could have given Obama a serious run for his money, and he could also have raised the same kind of cash. He proved that in the primary campaign.

Of the blacks that voted ,yes maybe it was 13% but all of them voted for "THAT ONE".

Same could be said if all the whites that voted voted for McCain. THAT ONE would not have been elected.

Or in the words of Saxby Chambliss, "those other people are voting"

All blacks did not vote for Obama .. and McCain won the white vote, as did other republicans who still lost.

I haven't changed my mind either. I think it was a combination of fraud,and media in the tank, yesterday we saw intimidation, I will never be convinced the election was a fair one. Until ACORN stops being fradulant we can never be sure. Oh well you guys got yerselves a presidents. I'm still waiting.

I heard, on the same news report, that only 45% of all whites voted for Obama. It will be interesting when they finish tabulating the exit polls to see what they come up with.

What! Only 13%!!!!! If that's true (and I'm going to check and see if it is) I'm dumbfounded, dumbstruck, and generally P-O'd. What possible excuse could there be for that? No, I don't want hear anymore, I'm done with the excuses.

I heard today that Republican turnout was 10% less this year than 2004. If this is true, that is a huge reason Obama won. If you look at the popular vote Obama got about the same amount of votes that Bush got in 2004 so it's hard to tell if there was a huge switch to the left or just a lack of energy on the right.

This is not necessarily true.

You may not agree, but Ron Paul is the only one who could have matched up against Obama. All the other Republican candidates could have been compared with Bush, but Paul couldn't have.

Paul's foreign policy is appealing to centrists and leftists, and he could have taken the center vote that McCain obviously couldn't get. The only reason he couldn't get the center vote is because he was too closely identified with Bush.

Paul was the only REAL maverick in the race out of the Republicans. He could have given Obama a serious run for his money, and he could also have raised the same kind of cash. He proved that in the primary campaign.

Ron Paul may not have won a single state, including Texas.

Republicans don't particularly care for him and voters on the left would not have supported him, particularly when his newsletters would have made national news.

Whether one thinks Paul was behind the newsletters or not, no one could have been elected president with that in their background .. not even Jesus.

I heard today that Republican turnout was 10% less this year than 2004. If this is true, that is a huge reason Obama won. If you look at the popular vote Obama got about the same amount of votes that Bush got in 2004 so it's hard to tell if there was a huge switch to the left or just a lack of energy on the right.

Possible,

Majority of the repub turn out was anti obama not so much pro mccain

McCain was hardly the best face the republican party could throw out there

The main reason that McCain lost? One word......Palin.

Not only was she woefully unqualified to stand up on the big stage with the major players, but her nomination was out from left field (an obvious attempt to try and snag the Hillary voters from the Dems that said they won't vote for Obama), as well as her 150,000 shopping spree while telling all of us she was just a "common person".

Next.....the fiasco with Joe (Sam) the (not) Plumber. He was an obvious plant from the McCain camp, because of the things he'd said, that he later recanted, and then, just in the past 2 days, changed back to his viewpoints he'd first said, even AFTER he was shown to make out better under the Obama plan.

Nope....McCain ran a crappy campaign and deserved to lose.

The main reason that McCain lost? One word......Palin.

Not only was she woefully unqualified to stand up on the big stage with the major players, but her nomination was out from left field (an obvious attempt to try and snag the Hillary voters from the Dems that said they won't vote for Obama), as well as her 150,000 shopping spree while telling all of us she was just a "common person".

Next.....the fiasco with Joe (Sam) the (not) Plumber. He was an obvious plant from the McCain camp, because of the things he'd said, that he later recanted, and then, just in the past 2 days, changed back to his viewpoints he'd first said, even AFTER he was shown to make out better under the Obama plan.

Nope....McCain ran a crappy campaign and deserved to lose.

I respect your opinion but from a conservative.... You are crazy! Palin was THE reason McCain got the conservative vote. Without Palin McCain wouldn't have even been this close.

And second you have no clue about about Joe the Plumber. Obama came to his street. Joe did not go seek Obama... So for you to say this is a McCain plant is flat out untrue.

I agree with your last point.. McCain ran a crappy campaign but it's hard to compete against a guy who spends 7 times as much as you and has the media on his side.

However the real reason McCain lost is because he is not a conservative.

Forum List

Back