Why Jesus Cried "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me"

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Probably the most misrepresented and least understood words of Jesus. As he dies on the cross he makes this statement, which at face value sounds as if he feels betrayed by God.

But in actuality he’s telling people to go read Psalm 22 that foretells his work. Before the numbering system of the Bible was created centuries later the Rabbi would read the first passage in place of what we say today as Psalm 22.

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?

2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest.

3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the one Israel praises.

4 In you our ancestors put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them.

5 To you they cried out and were saved; in you they trusted and were not put to shame.

6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by everyone, despised by the people.

7 All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads.

8“He trusts in the LORD,” they say, “let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him.”

9 Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.

10 From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.

11 Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help.

12Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.

13Roaring lions that tear their prey open their mouths wide against me.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted within me.

15 My mouthis dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.

16 Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet.

17 All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me.

18 They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.

19 But you, LORD, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me.

20Deliver me from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs.

21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions; save me from the horns of the wild oxen.

22 I will declare your name to my people; in the assembly I will praise you.

23 You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!

24 For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.

25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly; before those who fear you I will fulfill my vows.

26 The poor will eat and be satisfied; those who seek the LORD will praise him— may your hearts live forever!

27 All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him,

28 for dominion belongs to the LORDand he rules over the nations.

29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship; all who go down to the dust will kneel before him— those who cannot keep themselves alive.

30Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord.

31 They will proclaim his righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it!

Probably the most misrepresented and least understood words of Jesus. As he dies on the cross he makes this statement, which at face value sounds as if he feels betrayed by God.

But in actuality he’s telling people to go read Psalm 22 that foretells his work. Before the numbering system of the Bible was created centuries later the Rabbi would read the first passage in place of what we say today as Psalm 22.

1 My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish?

2 My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest.

3 Yet you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the one Israel praises.

4 In you our ancestors put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them.

5 To you they cried out and were saved; in you they trusted and were not put to shame.

6 But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by everyone, despised by the people.

7 All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads.

8“He trusts in the LORD,” they say, “let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him.”

9 Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you, even at my mother’s breast.

10 From birth I was cast on you; from my mother’s womb you have been my God.

11 Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help.

12Many bulls surround me; strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.

13Roaring lions that tear their prey open their mouths wide against me.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted within me.

15 My mouthis dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death.

16 Dogs surround me, a pack of villains encircles me; they pierce my hands and my feet.

17 All my bones are on display; people stare and gloat over me.

18 They divide my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment.

19 But you, LORD, do not be far from me. You are my strength; come quickly to help me.

20Deliver me from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs.

21 Rescue me from the mouth of the lions; save me from the horns of the wild oxen.

22 I will declare your name to my people; in the assembly I will praise you.

23 You who fear the LORD, praise him! All you descendants of Jacob, honor him! Revere him, all you descendants of Israel!

24 For he has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.

25 From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly; before those who fear you I will fulfill my vows.

26 The poor will eat and be satisfied; those who seek the LORD will praise him— may your hearts live forever!

27 All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him,

28 for dominion belongs to the LORDand he rules over the nations.

29 All the rich of the earth will feast and worship; all who go down to the dust will kneel before him— those who cannot keep themselves alive.

30Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord.

31 They will proclaim his righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it!
forgive them, they know not what they do...least understood words...ever

May be HE said that because for and instant of a second, the spiritual pain was terrible, intense and unbearable and that's what he thought....but of course immediately after HE knew that was not the case at all...and it was all the contrary.

May be HE said that because for and instant of a second, the spiritual pain was terrible, intense and unbearable and that's what he thought....but of course immediately after HE knew that was not the case at all...and it was all the contrary.
In Aramaic....The sacrifice is completed....in gringo My job B done

Because the divinity of Jesus doesn't make much sense. And he cried these words as a human being in despair before his death.

Leftists don't need Jesus; they have the party.
and the party always supplies tons of booze

I think the Democrat party is a lot more holier than republicans.
People on the left, seem to be 'the Sheep' in the sheep and the goats parable in the Bible, also known as the last judgement, or Judgement of Nations.....

Christ separated the people within all Nations for the judgement, the sheep put on His right, the goats put on his left....

to make a long story short, the goats always proclaimed to know Jesus as Savior and Lord....yet when Jesus confronts them on them helping Jesus when He was in need they said , When did we not help you Lord?

Jesus basically said, When you didn't feed the hungry, help the poor, welcome the stranger, or care for those in prison etc... whatever you didn't do for the least of them, You did this to me! He cast them to eternal punishment.

He confronts the other group who fed the hungry, helped the poor, visited those in prison, and welcomed the Stranger ... on how well they treated Him,

This group of people ask Christ, When did we do those things for you?

and He said, however you treated those people, you did unto Me!

This other separated group in the parable, didn't even know they were doing good things for and to Jesus Christ,

...basically, they didn't know...they were followers of Christ....they were just doing what they felt was right and humane....

and Christ rewarded those who thought they didnt know Him, with everlasting life....!

-----------

Bottom line, yes many on the left, who may not even know they are following Christ and His teachings are the ones who are rewarded by Christ on judgement day.

And some of those who proclaimed they knew Christ, or accepted Him as Lord and Savior...

Were ALL TALK, with no actions....

Last edited:

People on the left, seem to be 'the Sheep' in the sheep and the goats parable in the Bible, also known as the last judgement, or Judgement of Nations.....

Christ separated the people within all Nations for the judgement, the sheep put on His right, the goats put on his left....

to make a long story short, the goats always proclaimed to know Jesus as Savior and Lord....yet when Jesus confronts them on them helping Jesus when He was in need they said , When did we not help you Lord?

Jesus basically said, When you didn't feed the hungry, help the poor, welcome the stranger, or care for those in prison etc... whatever you didn't do for the least of them, You did this to me! He cast them to eternal punishment.

He confronts the other group who fed the hungry, helped the poor, visited those in prison, and welcomed the Stranger ... on how well they treated Him,

This other separated group in the parable, didn't even know they were doing good things for and to Jesus Christ,

...basically, they didn't know...they were followers of Christ....they were just doing what they felt was right and humane....

and Christ rewarded those who thought they didnt know Him, with everlasting life....!

-----------

Bottom line, yes many on the left, who may not even know they are following Christ and His teachings are the ones who are rewarded by Christ on judgement day.

And some of those who proclaimed they knew Christ, or accepted Him as Lord and Savior...

If they don't know they are following Christ they've never accepted Him as their Savior, if they've never accepted Him as Savior they don't go Heaven, sorry.

If Jesus was wrong about God forsaking him, could he also be wrong about other things he said?

Jesus didn't just suffer spiritual pain on the Cross; he suffered spiritual death there. On that Cross, he was a curse; God forsook him there.

-----------

If they don't know they are following Christ they've never accepted Him as their Savior, if they've never accepted Him as Savior they don't go Heaven, sorry.

Faith without works, is dead.

------
Christ indicates throughout the Gospels........that others, who are not known followers of Christ and part of His sect are judged and saved through The Law....

The Good Samaritan parable

The Sheep and the Goats parable

And many other bible passages that explains that others can be 'saved ' as well....

all go through Christ and His judgement... Basically, they can not get to Heaven, but through Him.....

Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works.

While others who don't know they believe in Christ, yet follow Christ's teachings and the Law, can also be saved...

Romans 2:12-16 12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

16This will take place on the day when God judges people's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

-----------

------
Christ indicates throughout the Gospels........that others, who are not known followers of Christ and part of His sect are judged and saved through The Law....

And many other bible passages that explains that others can be 'saved ' as well....

all go through Christ and His judgement... Basically, they can not get to Heaven, but through Him.....

Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works.

While others who don't know they believe in Christ, yet follow Christ's teachings and the Law, can also be saved...

Romans 2:12-16 12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

16This will take place on the day when God judges people's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Works without Faith does not get you to Heaven, take it up with God.

"Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works."

Faith cannot be removed from the saving process.

-----------

If you cannot discern that abortion is immoral and sinful, then you are even more lost than I.
Do you think that's the only sin that matters and all will be judged on that one issue, which is never even singled out and mentioned in the New Testament?

And doing the things in the Sheep and the Goats parable matters naught?

Or committing adultery does not?
Or lying does not?
Or covetting does not?
Or stealing does not?

etc etc etc

Free will.
God let's people sin, some times for mysterious reasons... Maybe His plan is to bring the girl to Christ, through remorse...

-----------

------

"Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works."

works can't be removed either....

Faith, without works, is dead.

In other words, you don't really have faith if you show no signs of good works...

It's FAKE FAITH, not true faith....

Yes, we are all sinners, yes we all fall short of the glory of God... Yes, we will continue to have sins...but those with true faith, are so overwhelmed by their own remorse, and overwhelmed with joy for Christ's mercy and for Him dying for their sins, their rejoice leads them to repent and show good works, simply out of thankfulness, for their given forgiveness! Not because it is required, but because they believe in Him and His salvation through Him, passed to them....

is my understanding of it.

Wow.....

Matthew 7:1

-----------

------

works can't be removed either....

Faith, without works, is dead.

In other words, you don't really have faith if you show no signs of good works...

It's FAKE FAITH, not true faith....

Yes, we are all sinners, yes we all fall short of the glory of God... Yes, we will continue to have sins...but those with true faith, are so overwhelmed by their own remorse, and overwhelmed with joy for Christ's mercy and for Him dying for their sins, their rejoice leads them to repent and show good works, simply out of thankfulness, for their given forgiveness! Not because it is required, but because they believe in Him and His salvation through Him, passed to them....

is my understanding of it.
And yet you forget what Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:8-9 that Salvation is a gift
Not to be worked for nor earned. That is God's grace. John 1:12 puts away the idea of"universal" salvation.

Forum List

Back