Why is the Gov't Telling Americans How We Can (and Can't) Build Our Homes?

Should all regulations regarding the construction of private homes be eliminated?

• Total voters
Everyone knows that there are too many regulations, right?

Well, WHY is the gov't at all levels telling Americans how and where we can build our homes? There are requirements when it comes to the structure, and the distance between floor joists, and the wiring, and electrical outlets, and plumbing, and toilets, and drywall, and concrete/cement mixtures, and SO many other things.

Why shouldn't someone be able to build a home wherever he pleases however he pleases?

So, should all regulations regarding the construction of private homes be eliminated?

Please explain your vote if you choose to vote in the poll.
the epa can fine you for making changes, changes that you got approved from the government
you can take the epa to court for fining you, win the case and the epa will still keep fining you until you lose everything you have

aside from that, if you are to dumb to be safe and consistent with your region you should suffer

Local zoning works

again, the key being "local"
why? why do you find local intrusion and infringement on your freedoms more palatable than a federal law doing the same thing?
Would you then favor the elimination of all building codes and regulations?
not my argument at all. i'm just confused why a local edict is more acceptable than a federal one. the end result is the same.
Not necessarily. Suppose you live near and earthquake fault line. The local codes could more appropriately address concerns over earth quakes, but such overkill would not necessarily be prudent for a structure far from earthquake danger.

This is America

I should be able to park my double-wide anywhere I damn please

Zoning laws are passed on a local level. It's easy to address your displeasure in county meetings. The average Joe isn't aware of fireproof and safe construction materials so there are laws in place. Some areas authorize mobile homes and some don't. If you want to live in a tee-pee you can buy a patch of woods and live in it. Local laws usually make sense. When you get to the federal level is when things often become confusing and incoherent and it's almost impossible to reason with the feds.

Local zoning works

why? why do you find local intrusion and infringement on your freedoms more palatable than a federal law doing the same thing?
not my argument at all. i'm just confused why a local edict is more acceptable than a federal one. the end result is the same.
Not necessarily. Suppose you live near and earthquake fault line. The local codes could more appropriately address concerns over earth quakes, but such overkill would not necessarily be prudent for a structure far from earthquake danger.
perhaps. but it's not as if a federal law could not make special rules for certain areas.

Zoning laws are passed on a local level. It's easy to address your displeasure in county meetings. The average Joe isn't aware of fireproof and safe construction materials so there are laws in place. Some areas authorize mobile homes and some don't. If you want to live in a tee-pee you can buy a patch of woods and live in it. Local laws usually make sense. When you get to the federal level is when things often become confusing and incoherent and it's almost impossible to reason with the feds.
You will find that the federal regulations deal with standards and material safety. How much should that beam support? Will this bolt hold? What about the chemical make up of that drywall? These are the purview of federal regulations.

Should the federal government float an RFP for a new federal building or subsidize rent for a private building, they then should have a framework of regulations. Unless you favor any contractor having the power to defraud tax payers.

perhaps. but it's not as if a federal law could not make special rules for certain areas.
Well yes! The federal government should have 'special regulations' for 'special circumstances'. Someone wants to build a 40,000 square foot house on a mangrove stand, there should be regulations to prevent that. Someone wants to build a beachfront home in the tidal area? When that house fails (as they always do), the federal government should have the last say, before the wreckage of that home becomes a hazard to navigation.

I had my dream home built about ten years ago. If there weren't standards, the builders could have had a field day with providing me with substandard work but charging me premium prices.

Regulations are fine for they protect the consumer from shoddy work. Codes are there to check that the work meets specifications that are continually being updated for our safety.

And I am thankful for those codes.
Thanks for providing usmb with the dumb post of the day

Should you be able to build a fire trap in the middle of a neighborhood? How about raw sewage from your toilet into your front yard? How about never cutting your grass, which allows for all kinds of vermin to live in it and become disease carrying pests for your neighbors?

I'm not thrilled with federal regulations on the subject, but I can see the need for state fire codes and local codes, simply because people suck and there is always a lowest common denominator in the neighborhood who won't do the right thing until forced to.
Commie! Why are you taking away our freedom!

regulations are like Police ... nobody wants them until they NEED them.

Tents and outhouses for everyone, anywhere they want them ... section 8 Project housing in every neighborhood, Bums living in boxes right next door, shittin' on your front yard... it's all good, he aint heavy, he's your brother ..

yeah, right

I had my dream home built about ten years ago. If there weren't standards, the builders could have had a field day with providing me with substandard work but charging me premium prices.

Regulations are fine for they protect the consumer from shoddy work. Codes are there to check that the work meets specifications that are continually being updated for our safety.

Do you think that building codes should be eliminated? Which set of codes would you start with? Be specific.

Without building codes you'd have no idea what you're getting when you buy a house. For example, you want to trust the electrical work burried in walls by an electriction who didn't have to adhere to any building codes? I wouldn't.

Have a friend with an older home that predates some of the local codes. At the time it was built there were no requirements to have hot and cold shutoff valves under the kitchen or bathroom sinks, and ditto for all the H and C water pipes throughout the house. Thus if he wants to try to fix a leaky bathroom faucet he has to shut off water to the entire house.

Are you suggesting that builders and contractors might actually cheat people by doing substandard work or misrepresenting the work that was done that can't be seen behind walls, under floors, or in other places that can't easily be inspected after construction?

You don't seem to understand the difference of government regulations that benefit society, and regulations which only serve to enrich political donors or even retard the competetiveness of small business in favor of large corporate donors.

Residential Building Codes have a long history going back 4000 years. The “Code of Hammurabi”, circa 1780 BC, contains what are generally considered the first written laws concerning building construction.

They provide the ability of people to have houses very close together while reducing the risk of citywide fires like those in Detroit and Houston.

However bullshit codes like those that force you to have certain capacity toilets, or that prohibit you from building at all because of some bird or a puddle should be a problem for any cognizant person.

Why do you think the comment dumb?

City government sets standards ... so pick a city that has NO standards, those places exist all over the world .... go live free, and quit bitching about regulations, YOU can control your own destiny. Don't blame restrictions or the government.

easy huh ?

Forum List

Back