Why is man the only animal whose hair keeps growing?

world_s-longest-hair-female-2014-31.jpg

poodle hair keeps growing

same with sheep

aside from that, good question. we were created with the need to kill animals for their hides just to survive.

So how did we kill animals with tools and take their hide?

I don't see the selective breeding advantages of having hair and beards to your waist.

Primitive man would not have had access to scissors or sharp knives to cut off excessive hair
Maybe pounding between rocks or burning off extremely long hair
But I dont see an advantage to it

They used fire to burn off excess hair, and not a little fire they just took a log from the fire and lit their beards on fire. This is how most of them got the nickname 'singe-face'.

I think it an interesting point, long hair and a long beard would be detrimental to hunting and running. Plus can you imagine women kissing these full-bearded men before bathing was even a thought? And while we are on bathing, before bathing how did women, and let's be delicate here, keep a clean fresh 'air' about them? Or was everyone so smelly from not bathing that no one even thought about it? It would be easy for someone to travel through time (yeah it isn't possible I know) into the future where everyone is clean than to travel back in time to when bathing was a yearly occurrence and 'throwing the baby out with the bath water' was an actual thing because the baby was the last to be bathed.

Also in cities people used to have chamber pots and just through it out into an open trough in the middle of the road so it would run down to the river when it rained. Can you imagine the smell.

The past smelled bad. :laugh2:

Once I heard a theory, that humans lost their body hairs or fur, for better sweat evaporation when working in desert climates a few million years ago. The hair on top of the head became special though, because that is what protected them from prolonged sun exposure.

poodle hair keeps growing

same with sheep

aside from that, good question. we were created with the need to kill animals for their hides just to survive.

So how did we kill animals with tools and take their hide?

I don't see the selective breeding advantages of having hair and beards to your waist.

Primitive man would not have had access to scissors or sharp knives to cut off excessive hair
Maybe pounding between rocks or burning off extremely long hair
But I dont see an advantage to it

They used fire to burn off excess hair, and not a little fire they just took a log from the fire and lit their beards on fire. This is how most of them got the nickname 'singe-face'.

I think it an interesting point, long hair and a long beard would be detrimental to hunting and running. Plus can you imagine women kissing these full-bearded men before bathing was even a thought? And while we are on bathing, before bathing how did women, and let's be delicate here, keep a clean fresh 'air' about them? Or was everyone so smelly from not bathing that no one even thought about it? It would be easy for someone to travel through time (yeah it isn't possible I know) into the future where everyone is clean than to travel back in time to when bathing was a yearly occurrence and 'throwing the baby out with the bath water' was an actual thing because the baby was the last to be bathed.

Also in cities people used to have chamber pots and just through it out into an open trough in the middle of the road so it would run down to the river when it rained. Can you imagine the smell.

The past smelled bad. :laugh2:

Same way as hippies. Patchouli. Lol! The Victorian era people used lots of perfumes and scents to cover up unpleasant body odors.

Why do rabbits teeth and nails keep growing? Why do sharks have more than one set of teeth? I would imagine all of these things are related to survival in some way.
They just wear them out as they continue to grow. If they didn't, in the case of rabbits, or rats, their teeth will grow to a level that is not manageable. Sharks grow new teeth behind their front-runners, so they can take over when the front ones get pulled out.

Either way, they don't need dentists...

Why humans have long head hair and short hair everywhere else is another thing that I always wondered about.
Does it actually stop growing, or does it fall out after a time and only appear to stop growing? My cat sheds more than I do. I think that's why it APPEARS that it stops growing.

It falls out at the end of its cycle. And then a new one grows to replace it.

Why do rabbits teeth and nails keep growing? Why do sharks have more than one set of teeth? I would imagine all of these things are related to survival in some way.
They just wear them out as they continue to grow. If they didn't, in the case of rabbits, or rats, their teeth will grow to a level that is not manageable. Sharks grow new teeth behind their front-runners, so they can take over when the front ones get pulled out.

Either way, they don't need dentists...

I don't think you understood my point.

My nose hair is now turning gray. That sucks...

I have no idea on how to check on my ear hair....

But my pubs are nice and brown!

when i finally get gray hair on my pubes, i'll probably just turn into oncomming traffic....

The way it's been explained to me is that pre-historic man must have valued long hair. There is a point where hair does stop growing, but in most cases its so incredibly long it will never be reached.

In the same way we artificially valued and therefore selected sheep with wool that was the longest, our ancestors selected for mates with the longest hair.

Maybe they wanted to pull on something while bonking and didn't like having to lean over to grab their mates hair. :dunno:

Forum List

Back