Why is it that republicans fail to realize that the ONLY way to boost wages for the poor...

...is to the raise the minumum wage? You people whine about the poor on welfare yet you are too dense to realize that the only way to break the cycle of poverty is to force employers to pay more. IF the minumum wage is raised, far less peeople are eligible for programs like food stamps. Problem solved.

This really isn't hard to figure out. Corporate profits are already at an all time high. The wage gap in this country is staggering. Where is the incentive for these "job creators" to choose to raise wages on their own accord? Why invest in a strong labor force when it is just easier for them to keep the ridiculous amount of money they already earn? The US has the widest income inequality gap in the world. Pathetically, you people call what I am saying "envy" and it's so moronic. This is an economic issue that will eventually affect the entire economy. If the poverty in this country continues to grow and the middle class continues to shrink, the economy will continue to destabilize and more crises will occur. This economy, small businesses especially, depend on consumer spending. Consumer spending can't flourish based on the current climate.

18 million people make less than 10.10 per hour. How many more make less than $15 which is the wage one must be able to live off of based on current inflation?
so you're saying poor people are to dumb to use their knowledge to get better paying jobs.

and since many poor are minorities, you are a racist.

...is to the raise the minumum wage? You people whine about the poor on welfare yet you are too dense to realize that the only way to break the cycle of poverty is to force employers to pay more. IF the minumum wage is raised, far less peeople are eligible for programs like food stamps. Problem solved.

This really isn't hard to figure out. Corporate profits are already at an all time high. The wage gap in this country is staggering. Where is the incentive for these "job creators" to choose to raise wages on their own accord? Why invest in a strong labor force when it is just easier for them to keep the ridiculous amount of money they already earn? The US has the widest income inequality gap in the world. Pathetically, you people call what I am saying "envy" and it's so moronic. This is an economic issue that will eventually affect the entire economy. If the poverty in this country continues to grow and the middle class continues to shrink, the economy will continue to destabilize and more crises will occur. This economy, small businesses especially, depend on consumer spending. Consumer spending can't flourish based on the current climate.

18 million people make less than 10.10 per hour. How many more make less than $15 which is the wage one must be able to live off of based on current inflation?

See.. this is so simplistic. You see the problem as they just don't make enough when the real problem is the lack the skills to earn more. You could throw another $20k/year at them and you haven't fixed anything. This is the kind of thinking that ensure the poor remain poor. But, I suspect that is the real plan with progressives... a perpetual underclass always voting (D).

Shacks head again!! well the good old fashion way,like what I did to earn more,I made myself more valuable,never looked for the Gov to do that,got myself off min wage rather quickly,really wasn't hard at all.

Shacks head again!! well the good old fashion way,like what I did to earn more,I made myself more valuable,never looked for the Gov to do that,got myself off min wage rather quickly,really wasn't hard at all.

Yup. Most people who start at minimum wage have worked their way up in thirty days. If not its because they couldn't do the job.

Who the hell wants to pay someone who's a failure at the job? They will shitcan the failure and hire someone who can do the job.

Raise the minimum wage and summer workers and school kids will be ecstatic. The business that employs them not so much. Or mayby they won't employ anyone extra at all.

Exactly how do you expect businesses to absorb the higher wages, higher payroll taxes and higher workers compensation insurance? Those are just the direct pay related costs, there will be more.

Some costs will be passed on to consumers, but it won't be nearly as much as you think. As an example, a restaurant will operate on a budget that allows for a 20% labor cost. Food costs run around 30%, utilities, rent, payroll taxes, and insurance round out another 30%, leaving a 20% profit margin. If current labor is based on $8.00 per hour for all employees and you want to raise their rate to $16.00 (doubled to make calculations easier), then labor would increase to 40%, leaving zero profit. In order to get the same dollar amount in profit, prices would need to be raised 20%. So in order to double everyone's wages, prices only need to increase 20%.

So, yes, some costs will be passed on to the consumer, but everyone has to do it, and as all these people now have more money to spend, business actually increases, so prices actually do not need to be raised 20%, but a bit less than that. Now, about those payroll taxes. Guess what? One of the main reasons that SS and Medicare is hurting so bad is due to the fact that average and median wages have been decreasing over the years, so those programs are actually collecting less than they should be. Now personally, I think $15 per hour for the minimum wage should be a target for 2020, while $10.00 per hour should be put in place now. I also do not have a big problem with staggering the minimum wage as Australia does. Teenagers make much less in Australia working minimum wage jobs than older adults. There is a bit more incentive to make employers promote people from within as they get older, so they aren't just paying the maximum minimum wage for every entry level position.
20% profit margin? Maybe at places like the old la France in wheeling Illinois, it is more like 1 to 6%

The Average Profit Margin for a Restaurant Chron.com

Btw I like the idea of a staggered minimum wage, Canada I think is trying it.

I was just using those percentages to make the calculations easier to understand. Actually with lower profit margins, increasing wages would lead to an even lower increase in prices to pay for those wage increases. BTW, there are many restaurants that earn close to 10% in profits. Many do not though. My son works at a place that is making over 20% but they have a booming business. They netted over $1.5 million last year from their two restaurants.

They probably used the profits from the first place to open the second, but under the Progressive economic theory the profits from the first place were merely stolen wages. Left to Progressives, the first place would close and the second never opened

and since they don't believe in education and are not themselves educated, they have no clue what it costs.

Its posts like this that make you wrong and an asshole,and your proud of it,now thats crazy!!

The whole concept of businesses owing unskilled workers a "living wage" is flawed. Minimum wage jobs are entry level jobs for teen-agers trying to gain some work experience and save some money before or during college. As some have said already if you are working in a minimum wage job with kids and pushing 30 you have done a poor job managing your life. That should not be turned upside down and become the responsibility of a business.

Nope.

You're wrong and you know it.

What the RWs don't take into consideration is how our world has changed and will continue to change. They fail to understand the enormous impact the internet has had on business and since they don't believe in education and are not themselves educated, they have no clue what it costs.

And they love knowing there are hungry children, elderly, disabled and vets.

You left out we like to eat kittens and puppies!!!!!!

FYI.. if you're an example of educated, we're fucked.

:lol:

See.. this is so simplistic. You see the problem as they just don't make enough when the real problem is the lack the skills to earn more. You could throw another $20k/year at them and you haven't fixed anything. This is the kind of thinking that ensure the poor remain poor. But, I suspect that is the real plan with progressives... a perpetual underclass always voting (D).
How exactly do you propose poor people acquire these new skills? They can't without the sufficient income. Also, even if they did, who do you expect to fill all of those important entry level positions?

How exactly do you propose poor people acquire these new skills? They can't without the sufficient income. Also, even if they did, who do you expect to fill all of those important entry level positions?

Well, as I see it, people that have not prepared themselves for life, or whose parents have not held them accountable, will not miraculously train themselves simply because you threw money at them. More than likely that money will be blown and they'll become accustomed to a somewhat better lifestyle and it won't be long before they'll demand more.

The problem won't be fixed by money. There is an entire culture that needs to be broken. We saw it down here after Katrina.. the Feds pumped in money like it grew on trees. It was mostly spent on tattoos, booze and purses.

Until somebody straps on a pair and starts telling it like it is, nothing will change and a $20/hr MW won't do squat.

Well, as I see it, people that have not prepared themselves for life, or whose parents have not held them accountable, will not miraculously train themselves simply because you threw money at them. More than likely that money will be blown and they'll become accustomed to a somewhat better lifestyle and it won't be long before they'll demand more.

The problem won't be fixed by money. There is an entire culture that needs to be broken. We saw it down here after Katrina.. the Feds pumped in money like it grew on trees. It was mostly spent on tattoos, booze and purses.

Until somebody straps on a pair and starts telling it like it is, nothing will change and a $20/hr MW won't do squat.
You're just generalizing the poor as lazy mooches because it makes you feel superior to them. If you actually understood poverty, you would know it is a complex sociological issue.

You know..............when I graduated in 1982, I was of the understanding that you could go out, get a job, work 40 hours/week, and have enough to support at a minimum, yourself and a wife.

Now? Most jobs only pay minimum wage, and when you factor in rent/mortgage, food, gas and other living expenses, you need to have 2 minimum wage jobs, working 65-80 hours/wk, and you just barely keep your head above water.

And.............saying that anyone can go out and get a good job if they have the proper training, that's not always true. I served 20 years in the Navy in a Personnel job (familiar with computers and records keeping as well as other things), and thought that my experience would allow me to walk into a good middle class job.

Wrong. I happened to retire just as the war was gearing up to serious levels, and people heard about PTSD and were scared to hire me, even though I'd never been to Iraq, and so consequently, I ended up taking minimum wage jobs as a laborer or a cook because that was all I could find. And trust me...............I looked, shit..............I was even willing to become a car salesman since I had a very extensive experience with sales during my last tour at a MEPS, and couldn't even find that.

Well.............eventually I got a room mate, and found out that I would be able to make it okay on my retirement check (which is about what a 40 hr/wk minimum wage would pay), and so now I am fully retired.

I think that the minimum wage should be at least 10.50/hr to keep up with what inflation has ended up with.

You're just generalizing the poor as lazy mooches because it makes you feel superior to them. If you actually understood poverty, you would know it is a complex sociological issue.

Hey, Sparky.... read my post. I stated " There is an entire culture that needs to be broken".

And frankly, it isn't that complex... but you Progressives like to couch everything as "complex" which is code for "I don't want to be honest about what the real problem is".

You know..............when I graduated in 1982, I was of the understanding that you could go out, get a job, work 40 hours/week, and have enough to support at a minimum, yourself and a wife.

Now? Most jobs only pay minimum wage, and when you factor in rent/mortgage, food, gas and other living expenses, you need to have 2 minimum wage jobs, working 65-80 hours/wk, and you just barely keep your head above water.

And.............saying that anyone can go out and get a good job if they have the proper training, that's not always true. I served 20 years in the Navy in a Personnel job (familiar with computers and records keeping as well as other things), and thought that my experience would allow me to walk into a good middle class job.

Wrong. I happened to retire just as the war was gearing up to serious levels, and people heard about PTSD and were scared to hire me, even though I'd never been to Iraq, and so consequently, I ended up taking minimum wage jobs as a laborer or a cook because that was all I could find. And trust me...............I looked, shit..............I was even willing to become a car salesman since I had a very extensive experience with sales during my last tour at a MEPS, and couldn't even find that.

Well.............eventually I got a room mate, and found out that I would be able to make it okay on my retirement check (which is about what a 40 hr/wk minimum wage would pay), and so now I am fully retired.

I think that the minimum wage should be at least 10.50/hr to keep up with what inflation has ended up with.

Sounds like a poor skill set. MW isn't how you fix that.

Sounds like a poor skill set. MW isn't how you fix that.

Poor skill set? Really? My service record for the last half of my career reflected that I was a 4.0 sailor, had an excellent grasp of my job, served 2 back to back tours on INDEPENDENT DUTY (meaning that I was the only person in my job at the command), as well as was qualified and trained in many secondary tasks, from Drug and Alcohol Program Advisor (DAPA), Physical Readiness Coordinator, Security Force member, as well as a Personnel Reliability Program (worked with special weapons).

Trust me...............the military doesn't send a person on independent duty if they have less than a stellar skill set, and to be able to do it 2 times in a row is even more rare.

Try again.

There are really people who think a raise in the minimum wage is going to come out of corporate profits.

Now that's funny.

There are really people who think a raise in the minimum wage is going to come out of corporate profits.
Now that's funny.
Raising the minimum wage only contributes tio inflation.... which reduces buying power... which leads to people whining about the "need" to raise the minimum wage.

This is, of course, the point -- to close the gap between the haves and the haves not by dragging the haves down.

you do know that after 20 years in the Navy you are eligible for retirement pay correct?

Forum List

Back