Why I'm an atheist.

Si modo, can you answer these two questions, as I think this is what gcomeau is trying to get from you:

1. Why do you have faith in God?...
Because I choose to believe in Him. Already answered.

.... 2. What makes faith in God more important than remaining unconvinced and skeptical due to the lack of empirical evidence supporting His existence - especially considering your acknowledgement of the relevance of real world facts in all other aspects of your life?
Because I enjoy the feeling of believing. I'm one of those talented humans who can feel and think, and who actually knows the difference.

As I said, you need to figure out what you want to know. You haven't a clue.

How about we leave the judgements of what I do and do not need to know to me and I'll let you decide what YOU do and do not need to know? How about that?

Currently, what *I* need to know is the answer to my question. The one you have been dodging this entire discussion and which you just dodged again.

How about we leave the judgements of what I do and do not need to know to me and I'll let you decide what YOU do and do not need to know? How about that?

Currently, what *I* need to know is the answer to my question. The one you have been dodging this entire discussion and which you just dodged again.
Was 'nope' too complex of an answer to your question?

I think si modo is upset that you're an atheist, and it's only when everyone believes in his invisible being that his doubts will disappear.

"Nope" wasn't an answer to the question at all. "Nope" was a response to my request for clarification of a previous statement, and a completely useless response at that. As I believe I just laid out in detail two posts back.

Now how long exactly do you feel like dancing around providing that answer? What enjoyment are you deriving from participating while refusing to actually participate meaningfully? If you simply refuse to answer the question just fucking say "I refuse to answer the question" and walk away.

"Nope" wasn't an answer to the question at all. "Nope" was a response to my request for clarification of a previous statement, and a completely useless response at that. As I believe I just laid out in detail two posts back.

Now how long exactly do you feel like dancing around providing that answer? What enjoyment are you deriving from participating while refusing to actually participate meaningfully? If you simply refuse to answer the question just fucking say "I refuse to answer the question" and walk away.
Sure it was an answer.

You asked: "What the hell is that even supposed to mean? That "the communion of saints" isn't real? That it isn't "real world shit"?"

I replied: "Nope" (meaning it isn't 'real world' shit)

Now what?

Its the fear of death and/or, maybe even more terrifying, the fear of meaninglessness.

This is a shining example of why you liberals are referred to as elitists.

As if a believer could only possibly think of their life as "meaningless" if they weren't one, or better yet, fear death.

You've got yourself up on a pretty high pedestal there, my man.

I think si modo is upset that you're an atheist, and it's only when everyone believes in his invisible being that his doubts will disappear.
LMAO. I don't really care if you believe in the invisible being or not. Yet all the atheists here care so much that I do?

This thread must be such a disappointment to the atheists. They want to suck in a preacher so badly that they end up preaching themselves.

This really should be in the humor section at this point as irony is often a key to good humor.

Sure it was an answer.

You asked: "What the hell is that even supposed to mean? That "the communion of saints" isn't real? That it isn't "real world shit"?"

Now what?

You know, I'm beginning to suspect your only purpose in this thread is to deliberately act so mind numbingly obtuse that you drive an atheist into screaming "OH MY GOD!!!" in abject frustration because you think that would be worth a chuckle or something.

What did I just say? I said it was an answer to MY REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION OF A PREVIOUS STATEMENT.

What is your respnse? To quote that request for clarification and pretend like you have no idea that that isn't the same thing as the original question. And the original question still remains completely unddressed. I'm going to try coming at this from one last direction. If you pretend like you can't follow THIS then I'm writing you off as a troll.

This is part 1 of my final attempt at this. It consists of three incredibly simple and straightforward questions.

1. "Objects of mass attract each other due to their effect on the curvature of space time". Is that statement something to be analyzed logically, or taken on faith?

2. "There is a blue space hamster living on the moon somewhere in the Sea of Tranquility". Is that statement something to be analyzed logically, or taken on faith?

3. "The Catholic faithful are bound together in some kind of spiritual communion that transcends death and connects the souls of all the faithful on earth, in heaven, in purgatory, etc..." Is that statement something to be logically analyzed, or taken on faith?

Please answer those questions. We'll proceed from there.

Sure it was an answer.

Now what?

You know, I'm beginning to suspect your only purpose in this thread is to deliberately act so mind numbingly obtuse that you drive an atheist into screaming "OH MY GOD!!!" in abject frustration because you think that would be worth a chuckle or something.

What did I just say? I said it was an answer to MY REQUEST FOR CLARIFICATION OF A PREVIOUS STATEMENT.

What is your respnse? To quote that request for clarification and pretend like you have no idea that that isn't the same thing as the original question. And the original question still remains completely unddressed. I'm going to try coming at this from one last direction. If you pretend like you can't follow THIS then I'm writing you off as a troll. ...
You can do as you wish, of course, but when you ask nonsensical circular questions and when I even go to the trouble of showing you how nonsensical they are (why do you aplly faith to what you believe in...LMAO), and then call me a troll, I suppose that must give you some sort of satisfaction.

I find it beyond mildly humorous.

.... This is part 1 of my final attempt at this. It consists of three incredibly simple and straightforward questions.

1. "Objects of mass attract each other due to their effect on the curvature of space time". Is that statement something to be analyzed logically, or taken on faith? ....
That is a something to be analyzed logically, to me.

.... 2. "There is a blue space hamster living on the moon somewhere in the Sea of Tranquility". Is that statement something to be analyzed logically, or taken on faith?....
Whatever floats your boat, but I would analyze it logically.

.... 3. "The Catholic faithful are bound together in some kind of spiritual communion that transcends death and connects the souls of all the faithful on earth, in heaven, in purgatory, etc..." Is that statement something to be logically analyzed, or taken on faith? ....
Actually, it's not quite an accurate statement. "The Christian faithful ..." is accurate, but let's not get you more confused with pesky details like accuracy.

That is a statement to be taken on faith, to me.

.... Please answer those questions. We'll proceed from there.
That sure would be nice, but I fear my answers will not fit nicely into your mind's stereotype of a believer.

[

That sure would be nice, but I fear my answers will not fit nicely into your mind's stereotype of a believer.

Oh, we just go one place from here. Back to the beginning. The original question.

For each of your above responses, please answer this question:

WHY?

WHY is number 1 something you think should be logically analyzed?

WHY is number 2 something you think should be logically analyzed?

WHY is number 3 something you think should be taken on faith? And specifically, what sets it apart from 1 and 2? What property does that claim posess that moves it from the "I should look at this logically" category to the "I should take this on faith" category in your thinking?

That is what I have been asking you to explain since we started this ridiculous little exchange, and that is what I have yet to see any answer to. So... why?

Last edited:
[

Oh, we just go one place from here. Back to the beginning. The original question.

For each of your above responses, please answer this question:

WHY?

WHY is number 1 something you think should be logically analyzed? ...
Because that is what I do with scientific subject matter. There is little subjective about it.

.... WHY is number 2 something you think should be logically analyzed? ....
Because that I what I do with scientific subject matter. There is little subjective about it.

.... WHY is number 3 something you think should be taken on faith? ....
Well, now you are back to that nonsense, but I'll answer. I take the communion of saints on faith because it IS faith. It's just a belief; there is little objective about it.

.... And specifically, what sets it apart from 1 and 2? What property does that claim posess that moves it from the "I should look at this logically" category to the "I should take this on faith" category in your thinking? ...
Objectivity and subjectivity.

.... That is what I have been asking you to explain since we started this ridiculous little exchange, and that is what I have yet to see any answer to. So... why?
And you have your answers to the 'why', yet again.

Ah, now I see how this works. It takes me a while because I assume that posters are interested in an honest discussion by default, until shown otherwise: You ask; I answer over and over and over; then you say I haven't answered over and over an over.

Got it.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a list of what Noah had in his bug out bag ?:lol:

Its a good thing that he did have a bug out plan, or you would not be here. Science proves that Shell Fish fossils are found existing on the highest mountain ranges of earth. There is no Empirical proof as to why these fossils are found there.....only theory about shifting tectonic plates...which agrees totally with the Biblical Account of the flood which states that during the time of the great flood...the valleys sank and the mountains rose ( Ps. 104:6-9). Thus....the water level would not have to be that great to encompasses the entire globe.

Last edited:
Or, there is a third possibility: I compartmentalize, as I said from the start. It seems that is rather a foreign concept to some.

Yes. I don't compartmentalize certain aspects of my life from logic. ....
I call bullshit.

Why do you call "bullshit"? Can you name one thing where you think I compartmentalize certain aspects of my life from logic? Even the things I do for fun, like climbing mountains, which is irrational and illogical and impractical, I realize that I do simply because I want to. I have no illusion about the things I do irrationally. But those are personal life choices. When it comes to attempting to perceive reality and aligning my perspective or reality as close as I can to what I perceive to be reality, I attempt to be as logical as I can. And that means, that when I learn or realize that I'm wrong, I can adjust that perspective, ideology, etc. And I don't believe things just cause.

Its a good thing that he did have a bug out plan, or you would not be here. Science proves that Shell Fish fossils are found existing on the highest mountain ranges of earth. There is no Empirical proof as to why these fossils are found there.....only theory about shifting tectonic plates...which agrees totally with the Biblical Account of the flood which states that during the time of the great flood...the valleys sank and the mountains rose ( Ps. 104:6-9). Thus....the water level would not have to be that great to encompasses the entire globe.

Dude, you've lost touch with reality, please try and get a grip. I hear a therapist might help.

I call bullshit.

Why do you call "bullshit"? Can you name one thing where you think I compartmentalize certain aspects of my life from logic? ....
Do you love anyone or anything? If so, tell me the logic of that loving.

What's your favorite color? Then tell me the logical reason for your answer.

I love someone because it is the nature of human beings to love one another. It makes me feel good because I'm not fighting my very nature, because human beings need love to live a healthy life, her support helps me through life. There are practical reasons for loving. I have experienced love. There's the logic.

I like orange. Because it reminds me of alpenglow, sunsets, early morning light, and is bright and stimulates the nerves in my eyes. Being reminded of those things which are associated with positive memories causes me to feel good. There's the logic. I experience those feelings. There's the logic.

Now, I don't choose to love and I don't choose to like orange. I just do. And neither change the fact that there is not enough evidence to support the idea that a cosmic super dad created everything and then came up with a bunch of arbitrary rules that we all have to follow or burn forever in agony. So I can't just choose to believe in God because I want to. I haven't experienced God. Have you? If you have, are you sure its God? What makes you so sure? Could it have been something else, like hallucinations?

Dude, you've lost touch with reality, please try and get a grip. I hear a therapist might help.
Why would he need a therapist? All he has said is that the science for the fossil finds and the shifting plates agrees with some biblical account.

Historical and archeological studies indicate that Tiberius existed and that agrees with an account in the bible that Tiberius existed. Do I need a therapist for stating a fact?

Last edited:
Why do you call "bullshit"? Can you name one thing where you think I compartmentalize certain aspects of my life from logic? ....
Do you love anyone or anything? If so, tell me the logic of that loving.

What's your favorite color? Then tell me the logical reason for your answer.

I love someone because it is the nature of human beings to love one another. It makes me feel good because I'm not fighting my very nature, because human beings need love to live a healthy life, her support helps me through life. There are practical reasons for loving. I have experienced love. There's the logic.

I like orange. Because it reminds me of alpenglow, sunsets, early morning light, and is bright and stimulates the nerves in my eyes. Being reminded of those things which are associated with positive memories causes me to feel good. There's the logic. I experience those feelings. There's the logic.

Now, I don't choose to love and I don't choose to like orange. I just do. ....
I just do is not really a logical answer, but if you think it is, fine. But, I do see your point. I think and I feel because I am human (seems like something I've heard before in this thread).

I don't really have a favorite color, myself. I choose not to have one as I see redeeming qualities to all of them.

I happen to choose to believe.

.... And neither change the fact that there is not enough evidence to support the idea that a cosmic super dad created everything and then came up with a bunch of arbitrary rules that we all have to follow or burn forever in agony. ....
Of course not. Where did you get such a silly idea that my asking you those two questions is any attempt on my part to convince you otherwise? That's some paranoia. Take a deep breath and calm down; I'm not the one doing any proselytizing.

.... So I can't just choose to believe in God because I want to. ....
I can.

.... I haven't experienced God. Have you? ....
I don't know.

.... If you have, are you sure its God? ....
N/A
.... What makes you so sure? ....
N/A
.... Could it have been something else, like hallucinations?
N/A

Last edited:

Why would he need a therapist? All he has said is that the science for the fossil finds and the shifting plates agrees with some biblical account.

Historical and archeological studies indicate that Tiberius existed and the bible also says that Tiberius existed. Do I need a therapist for stating a fact?

He needs a therapist because he uses science to know that sea-life fossils exist at the tops of mountains (which I can confirm), but then ignores ALL of the scientific evidence about plate tectonics, uplift, erosion, you know, geology to believe that instead a massive flood for which there are differing, unconfirmed, subjective accounts which was caused by a supernatural being, whom we haven't seen in thousands of years, for which there is no supporting evidence, committed genocide on his own creations cause they displeased Him just because he wants to. Its called irrational, and the best solution for irrational behavior is some sort of therapy.

Forum List

Back