CDZ Why I support whomever. . .

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Jul 17, 2018.

?

Re my Primary and General Election vote, in 2016:

1. I voted for the person.

2. I voted against the other person.

3. I voted based on party affiliation.

4. I voted for the issues promoted by Trump.

5. I voted for the issues promoted by another Republican.

6. I voted for the issues promoted by Clinton.

7. I voted for the issues promoted by Sanders

8. I voted for the issues promoted by Johnson

9. I voted for the issues promoted by Stein

10. Other and I will explain in my post

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,951
    NOTICE: This is the CDZ so please keep this civil.

After visiting numerous political message boards, watching a LOT of news on various television channels, reading a LOT of commentary from all sides on the political spectrum, and after a LOT of face to face discussions, it seems obvious to me that Trump supporters and those who voted for Hillary or somebody else are just wired differently. And I wonder if it is possible to discuss that without bringing Hillary and Trump or anybody else into it personally? See the question posed at the bottom of the OP.

Among many Issues with widely differing views between Trump supports and Clinton and/or other supporters:

It is a given that Hillary supporters were mostly okay with the existing tax code and size of government and supported higher taxes especially on the rich and/or big business to effect social change and they argue that it is patriotic to pay taxes. Trump supporters mostly believe in smaller government, less regulation, and lower taxes and that people will spend their money more wisely and effectively themselves than the government will spend it for them.

It is a given that Trump supporters are most likely to want conservatives or constitutional originalists on the Supreme Court and in the court system generally while Hillary supporters are most likely to want progressives/leftists on the Supreme Court and in the court system generally.

Also. . .
    --the wall--Trump supporters mostly for; Clinton supporters mostly oppose.
    --more federal money for welfare and programs--Trump supporters mostly oppose; Clinton supporters mostly support
    --racial and gender inequality--far more Clinton supports say this is a serious problem than do Trump supporters.
    --parenting--far more Trump supporters say it is important for children to have a mom and dad in the home than do Clinton supporters.
    --terrorism--far more Trump supporters want stronger protections than do Clinton supporters.
    --free trade--far more Trump supporters support efforts to correct trade imbalances than do Clinton supporters.
    --illegal immigration--more Clinton supporters say undocumented immigrants are hard working people who commit no more crimes than the general population than do Trump supporters make that argument. Clinton supporters favor amnesty for all and open borders far more than Trump supporters do.
    6 charts that show where Clinton and Trump supporters differ

A recent article in "Christianity Today" suggests that evangelicals supported Hillary more than Trump until recently when Hillary supporters are abandoning evangelicalism.
    Study: Clinton Voters Much More Likely to Leave Evangelicalism than Trump Voters

But maybe this is also telling: From a recent "Washington Secrets" column:
    Not sure what it means, but Emerson College polling reveals that Trump supporters more than those who backed Hillary Rodham Clinton believe space aliens have visited Earth. Overall, 31 percent believe aliens have landed, but among voters for President Trump, it is 38 percent to Clinton’s 25 percent. [/lndent]
    More predictions that Trump White House chief John Kelly is leaving

And those who voted or supported somebody other than Trump or Clinton generally fall into one of those camps when it comes to the issues. And yes, there are many other issues we could have included.
    QUESTION: Without discussing President Trump or Hillary Clinton (or Bernie Sanders or Gary Johnson or Jill Stein) personally, was your vote strictly against somebody else? Or did you vote along party lines? Or did your vote and current support represent your opinions and/or deepest convictions, and/or hopes?

What is most important to you re the State of the Union at this time? What do you want the policy or direction to be?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,047
    Well, we only get one choice, so I picked the primary reason, voting against 'The Other Person', and I don't mean just Hillary, but the entire establishment wing, and O also voted on the issues Trump was running on, but I didn't really expect him to go through and follow up with as many as he did, so I'm more than happy with my choice; Liberals have had few real choices since the late 1960's, and almost none since the 1980's, but Trump's more centralist stances are as close as we're going to get for a while, and rolling back the 'globalist' criminality is of primary importance to us surviving as a nation, and if the Christians don't fade, they really need to become far more aggressive and stop wimping out as they have in the past, we can get back to some common sense in several areas of national life. They are pretty much the last bastion against madness and self-destruction for the country and will be the deciding factors; whether anybody likes that or not is just too bad, because it's just a fact, and they have all the right enemies. And I'm not talking about just the evangelicals, either. The 'left wing' and faux 'moderate' Christians are far more delusional if they think they're going to get a pass just for making the right sucking noises, they'll get tossed into the same ovens their more open fellows will.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Odium

Odium Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,445
    I voted FOR Trump AND FOR his policies. I had no plans to vote in 2016 election until President Trump jumped in. If he hadn't run I would not have voted...the country deserved Clinton to be president so she would destroy America some more...I was more interested in the worst candidate winning and destroying America so a war would break out. That didn't happen someone won who is trying to fix America.

• Thank You! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,951
    Thank you for an honest and objective response. I was pretty much the same though in all honesty, he was too often off putting to me to be really likable. But he was the ONLY one who was even close to my point of view on the issues most important to me and who I held out hope that he actually intended to do and would do what he said he wanted to do. And he has not disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,951
    Interesting concept. I frequently wish President Trump was just a bit more 'diplomatic' I guess in how he presents things, but if he was anybody other than himself, then he wouldn't be the guy who gets things done instead of just giving lip service to what sounds good to a target group.

He is the first President since Reagan who is actually singing my song on so many issues that are most important to me, and he is actually keeping his campaign promises instead of putting them on the shelf immediately after the election as most professional politicians do.

So I'll put up with all the cringeworthy remarks to get somebody who is honestly trying to accomplish something good for America for a change. And unless he seriously stumbles, I fully expect to vote for him again in 2020.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,047

It's just a function of where he was born and raised, which is New York City, old school, and yeah it annoys nearly everybody but it's just regional thing and how they are; his actual actions are not anything radical or over the top, so why worry about the superficial s? They're aggressive salesmen trying to survive and prosper in a big city with a whole lot of competition, honest and dishonest, and you have to get noticed or perish, it's that simple; the easy going small town take your time personality doesn't work for him or his types of business, and in construction you deal with politicians pretty much daily.

In any case, the media is incensed because he knows how to render them useless and stupid, and they greatly resent that he isn't afraid of them, doesn't need them, and they can look forward to their market values to political advertisers being next to nil and losing big bucks for their influence peddling capacities, another reason he's great.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,463
    Strictly against a given candidate; I've never voted "for" anyone.

I made peace with the lesser of two evils nature of American politics some 40 years ago, and have come to accept it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,951
    Acknowledged but I don't want this to be just another 'right bashing left' and/or 'left bashing right' thread so let's be a bit careful there.

I do think his experience with making deals--good ones, bad ones, mediocre ones, etc.--in the big stakes world around the globe--has honed his skills and gives him important insights in what is effective, what works, what is important, what isn't in critical negotiations. And not being a status quo guy in any sense of the word, he is not going to do anything according to the status quo expectations of anybody. That is one of his important strengths. He is fearless in his ability to see and cut through the crap and lead when everybody else is screaming that he should follow.

So, like I say, what he is accomplishing is absolutely remarkable given all the resistance he is getting from both sides of the aisle. Just think what he could accomplish if we could get rid of all the permanent political class in Washington--and yes that includes the GOP, the Democrats, and the other--and replace it with people who share the President's vision and who love America as he does?

There would still be dog fights on how best to get it done, but sooner or later they would agree on how to do it and they would do it.

9. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,951
    But you didn't vote in the poll? No candidate has ever inspired you to vote FOR him or her? I'll have to admit that in some elections, it really is a choice between disappointing choices. I felt that way in 2008 and 2012. I voted enthusiastically for George W. Bush and he disappointment me. And I voted for President Trump with considerable apprehension in 2016, but so far he has not disappointed.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,951
    Note to Picaro and others, I edited the poll choices to allow two choices instead of just one.

• Informative Informative x 1