Why higher education should be free

Why is it we have free k-12 education...

Get 'em young, get 'em forever. If you want a more centrally planned economy over time (the very heart of Progressivism), start by teaching the children to look to government when issues arise. The best way to do that is to have the government control the market for education. Not just the funding of education, but everything, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots get served at lunch.

Idiot.

I think you have that backwards. I think eflatminor is quite perceptive, you on the other hand. :dunno:

I have 3 kids I would love to know how they are supposed to afford college minus them getting a scholarship of some kind...

There are many ways to pay for college, scholarships are one. I have no idea how old your kids are but if you want them to go to college, I'd start saving now, today.

I'm thinking if we did a better job in K-12, college would be a piece of cake. I wish I had a number of how many remedial classes students take before they actually embark on a degree.

My son that had a scholarship decided college wasn't that important. At 23 he went back to school but he's paying for it himself. ;)

Wow! That is impressive. What a wonderful story!

Why is it we have free k-12 education...

Get 'em young, get 'em forever. If you want a more centrally planned economy over time (the very heart of Progressivism), start by teaching the children to look to government when issues arise. The best way to do that is to have the government control the market for education. Not just the funding of education, but everything, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots get served at lunch.

Idiot.

Ah, now there's the impressive, well reasoned retort we've come to know and love. The specificity, the logic, the reason...the undeniable brilliance with which you debate. It's almost...magical.

:eusa_whistle:

It should not be free. It should be paid for......with income taxes. Like they do in places who think more clearly regarding this topic.

The entire nation benefits whenever a child receives a quality education. It is a worthwhile national investment.

Unfortunately, when government CONTROLS the education, as they do for nearly all affordable education, quality is the last thing we see. Private schools, sure.

If you really think a quality education is important for all, you'd advocate for a system where the poor get financial assistance to pay for a school provided by a competitive and efficient education market. If you advocate the status quo, there is no way you really want quality in education. Quantity, perhaps.

Have you ever lived in a country other than the United States? Have you ever had any experience with the education system in another developed nation?

I have 3 kids I would love to know how they are supposed to afford college minus them getting a scholarship of some kind...

There are many ways to pay for college, scholarships are one. I have no idea how old your kids are but if you want them to go to college, I'd start saving now, today.

I'm thinking if we did a better job in K-12, college would be a piece of cake. I wish I had a number of how many remedial classes students take before they actually embark on a degree.

My son that had a scholarship decided college wasn't that important. At 23 he went back to school but he's paying for it himself. ;)

They are 5,3, and 4 months
I got a hope scholarship for 500$ when I graduated but never did use it...

There are tax shelters for your kids' education, Obama knows all about it since he consistently contributes to his own children's fund.

Last edited:

Idiot.

Ah, now there's the impressive, well reasoned retort we've come to know and love. The specificity, the logic, the reason...the undeniable brilliance with which you debate. It's almost...magical.

What do you expect. You wrote the words of an idiot. You speak from a position of ignorance.

I got the road to serfdom upstairs to read...so that's great..So what would happen to k-12 schools if the government isn't involved in them? We have to start paying for them or no?

Sure we'd have to pay for school. But we'd no longer need property taxes nor the taxes raised by the federal government that find their way into education. More importantly, we need competition to drive prices down, results up, and to weed out the poor performers.

The Federal Government could put all college courses on iTunes-U for free so citizens can learn on the job, as needed or as they wish.

Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Lawrence Ellison, Steve Jobs, Sheldon Adelson all changed the world & all dropped out of college.

If certification is necessary for employment then student need only go to a testing facility to pass a test to prove & certify they know their stuff. Testing facilities like Thomson Prometric Testing Center already do these testing certifications so professionals can get licensed to practice their field.

It should not be free. It should be paid for......with income taxes. Like they do in places who think more clearly regarding this topic.

The entire nation benefits whenever a child receives a quality education. It is a worthwhile national investment.

Unfortunately, when government CONTROLS the education, as they do for nearly all affordable education, quality is the last thing we see. Private schools, sure.

If you really think a quality education is important for all, you'd advocate for a system where the poor get financial assistance to pay for a school provided by a competitive and efficient education market. If you advocate the status quo, there is no way you really want quality in education. Quantity, perhaps.

Have you ever lived in a country other than the United States?

Yes. I've lived in England for over five years. I lived in Germany and Belgium for extended periods off and on. In my younger days, I lived in Bolivia with the Peace Corp. Before that, I spent two years travelling through Europe, Africa and the Middle East. The longest stay was in Morocco, where I spent many months.

You?

Have you ever had any experience with the education system in another developed nation?

Yes. I've found the best quality education comes from those areas of education market that are not controlled by government. Private K-12 schools, non-state Universities, etc.

So I am giving up having to pay taxes that I don't pay anyways and property taxes that I don't have to pay for school....we already have private schools so how does this help me? I don't pay taxes because I am to poor and I don't own a home or property.Now as I understand the free market we would have several schools open probably and the higher priced ones would either get run out of business or bring their prices down? Doesn't it make it a bit off maybe even dangerous to have people running schools that may not even know what they are doing? This is all very free and etc but its scary as hell to..

What do you expect. You wrote the words of an idiot. You speak from a position of ignorance.

That you're not responding with anything other than childish name calling speaks to your ignorance. You can choose to debate like an adult or not. Your call. I shall remain civil.

You never heard of student loans? Going to school part time while working? Community College?

That you're not responding with anything other than childish name calling speaks to your ignorance. You can choose to debate like an adult or not. Your call. I shall remain civil.

When you do more than dish up tired platitudes like the idea that the goal of progressives is to have total control.....I will remain civil. You aren't stupid....but you sure are acting like an idiot when you say shit like that.

So I am giving up having to pay taxes that I don't pay anyways and property taxes that I don't have to pay for school....we already have private schools so how does this help me? I don't pay taxes because I am to poor and I don't own a home or property.

If you pay rent, you pay property taxes. Your landlord simply collects them as part of your rent.

The private schools we have now can only compete in the NON-affordable segment of the market. What business is going to try to compete with a government monopoly?

Now as I understand the free market we would have several schools open probably and the higher priced ones would either get run out of business or bring their prices down?

Heck no. We'd have schools designed to appeal to ALL levels of affordability. The school for rich kids wouldn't go anywhere and we'd see an economic boom from a new market in affordable...and even ultra cheap...education.

Doesn't it make it a bit off maybe even dangerous to have people running schools that may not even know what they are doing? This is all very free and etc but its scary as hell to.

Government CLEARLY doesn't know what it's doing! Let's just start there. But as for free market education, you need not worry. If a particular school or education business performs poorly, much less "not even know what they are doing", they'll soon reform or go out of business.

Forum List

Back