Why Haven't Dogs Evolved?

They have been subjected to intense genetic specialization for 5,000 years, resulting in the greatest intraspecies variation in Earth's history. Despite a 100X size disparity, a Great Dane and a Chihuahua can still (theoretically) mate. Why? Because they are both still DOGS.

Can someone explain why they haven't evolved into different species?

They have
6 Dog Breeds That Have Changed Significantly Over Time
Call me when they become something other than dogs.

If they become something else how would you know they used to be dogs?

They have been subjected to intense genetic specialization for 5,000 years, resulting in the greatest intraspecies variation in Earth's history. Despite a 100X size disparity, a Great Dane and a Chihuahua can still (theoretically) mate. Why? Because they are both still DOGS.

When the lifespan of one generation of dogs is abou10-20 years...5000 years is nothing. Look to how much we have altered dogs in that short span.

They have
Virus's are mutating into new virus's very quickly.

They have

They have

The Talapia in the Jordan River are very yummy. Even after being isolated in the river for 2 million years and being the same Talapia in fossil records.

They have
Let me know when your virus becomes a hamster.

They have

So it doesnt have to change into something else anymore. Now it has to turn into certain animals or evolution is false?

goalposts_zps4f0bcdaf.gif

They have

So it doesnt have to change into something else anymore. Now it has to turn into certain animals or evolution is false?

You're saying a fish is the pinnacle of evolution?
Interesting.

Interesting.

I just want to know why a virus changing into something else isnt good enough and only changing into the mammal of your choosing is proof?

Interesting.

I just want to know why a virus changing into something else isnt good enough and only changing into the mammal of your choosing is proof?
A virus changing shape is like a moth wings getting lighter or a humans skin getting darker. Still the same being in all cases.

Careful, unless you want to start claiming people with different color skins are different species.

Interesting.

A virus changing shape is like a moth wings getting lighter or a humans skin getting darker. Still the same being in all cases.

I agree, but we're talking about the virus changing into some other virus not just shape. But again, why does it have to change into the mammal of your choosing? Thats the part I dont get.

Once a species adapts completely to its environment, evolution essentially ceases. This is true of sharks and ants among others. Dogs have adapted to and ahve been bred by man to adapt to man's environment. In this sense the species has been successful and the need to evolve has largely ceased. Likewise, where humans have grown taller and heavier, it is more a matter of diet than evolution. Simply put, species that reach a pinnacle pretty much cease to evolve.

Interesting.

I agree, but we're talking about the virus changing into some other virus not just shape. But again, why does it have to change into the mammal of your choosing? Thats the part I dont get.
Good grief. A virus is a virus.

Once a species adapts completely to its environment, evolution essentially ceases. This is true of sharks and ants among others. Dogs have adapted to and ahve been bred by man to adapt to man's environment. In this sense the species has been successful and the need to evolve has largely ceased. Likewise, where humans have grown taller and heavier, it is more a matter of diet than evolution. Simply put, species that reach a pinnacle pretty much cease to evolve.
So the Jordan River is the same as it was 2 million years ago when it connected to the sea?
Keep trying.

Interesting.

So you're no longer interested in something changing you want it to become only things you deem are valid. Like Hamsters?

So the Jordan River is the same as it was 2 million years ago when it connected to the sea?
Keep trying.
Talapia come from the Nile River. And btw, the fish has evolved differently and its classification has 1000s of species . Let me ask you something, do you think species continue to evolve just for the sake of evolution and in spite of success and adaptation?

I have no idea what your argument is.

Last edited:
Interesting.

So you're no longer interested in something changing you want it to become only things you deem are valid. Like Hamsters?
You worried a flu virus will turn into HIV? No, because a virus is a virus.

Keep trying.
Talapia come from the Nile River. And btw, the fish has evolved differently and its classification has 1000s of species . Let me ask you something, do you think species continue to evolve just for the sake of evolution and in spite of success and adaptation.

I have no idea what your argument is.
A. And it's been 2 million years since the Jordan connected to the sea. And yet there is the same Talapia. I challenge the definition of species. It's like saying a black and Asian are different species.

B. According to the theory, evolution occurs to improve its survival.

Ok so the OP's entire point seems to be "Things are things and until I see things turn into a person, place or thing of my choosing science can go to hell"

Great talk

Forum List

Back