Why Hagel?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "A friend and admirer of Senator Hagel called the other day to ask whether we’d ever met the nominee to be secretary of defense. We expressed our regrets that we hadn’t. Our friend wanted us to know that Mr. Hagel does not dislike the Jews. We said we were delighted to hear it, but we also tried to convey that the Sun doesn’t care one way or another whether Mr. Hagel likes the Jews. His private views are not what we care about. What we care about is the policy line to which Mr. Hagel would hew.....

2. We’ve written before about this question of private prejudice. Harry Truman didn’t like the Jews. He didn’t like African Americans or the Chinese or Japanese either. We know this from his private correspondence as a young man. Phew! It contains the coarsest kind of bigotry. Yet Truman became one of the great civil rights presidents and one of the greatest friends of Israel. Once lifted to high office in the Senate, where he served as both a senator and as vice president, and then in the presidency, Truman came to see things in a different light and to surmount his biases.

3. But we’ve been covering his [Hagel's] antics for years, and where we’ve come out is that he’s just over his head in terms of policy. So he’s emerged as a shill for Israel’s most implacable foes. It doesn't take a genius to comprehend what the mullahs in Iran are going to make of this nomination.

4. By what deep principles is Senator Hagel guided in his long years of hanging back from anything that could be construed as helpful to the Jewish state or unhelpful to her enemies? He’s made no life’s work of sound money. He’s made no life’s work of constitutional fundamentals. We can’t think of a single over-riding principle in his career, save for an abiding sneer at Israel, in which he seems to take a certain mischievous glee.

5. President Obama may be a lot of things, but he’s no Reagan. From the more than 140 million Americans over the age of 21, he has gone and selected one of the most worrisome figures for defense. It looks like Mr. Hagel’s anti-Israel record is the very raison d’etre of the nomination.

6. It looks like the nomination is about the President’s determination to block Israel from going to its own defense against a regime that, in Iran, is preparing, by its own account, an attempt to annihilate the Jewish state."
Hagel and the Jews - The New York Sun

What can this say to the 69% or so of Jewish Americans who still voted for Obama?
Now, he'll be more flexible....and really stick it to them.

Who would you rather it be?

I'm going to give that query a lot of consideration, as soon as Obama calls me for advice.

Meanwhile...what do you think of The Sun's editorial?

So, you feel perfectly comfortable using other people's words to criticize his choice, but don't feel it's your place to suggest where he could have chosen better?

I'm going to give that query a lot of consideration, as soon as Obama calls me for advice.

So, you feel perfectly comfortable using other people's words to criticize his choice, but don't feel it's your place to suggest where he could have chosen better?

Which of the words in your post did you invent, or coin?
I'd sure like to give you due credit.

Yours is a particularly stupid post.

Awww, thread not going according to plan?

Hagel is a terrible choice imo. And I will be the first to admit I don't have a clue who would be a better choice. Just that it should be someone with a better perspective on Israel and Iran. Plus what has Hagel ever run?

She did what I would do. Knowing very little about Hagel, I have read some articles on his history...and I came up with an opinion.

How do you come up with an opinion? Base it strictly on what you read on blogs and messageboards?

Truth is...I have yet to see anything in his past that would make him truly qualified for the position.

What do you know about him that would make him qualified?

Oh yeah...and Del....the irony?

If she had simply posted her opinion and cited facts about the man that supported her opinion, there would have been a dozen posts saying "got a link?" " Got proof?"

So exactly what did she do wrong?

Awww, thread not going according to plan?

The plan was to share the editorial of The Sun with the board.

So...clearly that was a success.

Sadly, you have not participated in said success.

Try to rise above your personal dislikes.

Here is another opportunity: can you find any disagreements with what I found to be an insightful analysis?

Go ahead: show you are an adult.

Hagel is a terrible choice imo. And I will be the first to admit I don't have a clue who would be a better choice. Just that it should be someone with a better perspective on Israel and Iran. Plus what has Hagel ever run?

And more.

Other's have pointed to the following simpatico with Obama: both he and Hagel believe that the world is better off without a strong United States, i.e., we create more problems than we solve.

I believe the exact opposite is true: the United States prevents chaos.

funny you should ask

Hagel was named deputy administrator of the Veterans Administration. In 1982, however, he resigned his post over a disagreement with VA Administrator Robert P. Nimmo, who was intent on cutting funding for VA programs

After leaving government employment, Hagel co-founded Vanguard Cellular, a mobile phone service carrier that made him a multi-millionaire.[18] While working with Vanguard, he served as president and chief executive officer of the United Service Organizations and the Private Sector Council, as deputy director and chief operating officer of the 1990 G7 Summit, and on the board of directors or advisory committee of the American Red Cross, the Eisenhower World Affairs Institute, Bread for the World, and the Ripon Society. He also served as Chairman of the Agent Orange Settlement Fund and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.[19]
Although he was pressured by some to run for Governor of Virginia, where he had lived for 20 years, in 1992 Hagel moved back to Nebraska to become president of the McCarthy Group, LLC, an investment banking firm.[20] He also served as a Chairman and was CEO of American Information Systems Inc. (AIS), later known as Election Systems & Software, a computerized voting machine manufacturer jointly owned by McCarthy Group, LLC and the Omaha World-Herald company.[21][19] On March 15, 1995, Hagel resigned from the board of AIS as he intended to run for office

Chuck Hagel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

clearly, he has no administrative or executive experience. :rolleyes:

She did what I would do. Knowing very little about Hagel, I have read some articles on his history...and I came up with an opinion.

How do you come up with an opinion? Base it strictly on what you read on blogs and messageboards?

Truth is...I have yet to see anything in his past that would make him truly qualified for the position.

What do you know about him that would make him qualified?

Oh yeah...and Del....the irony?

If she had simply posted her opinion and cited facts about the man that supported her opinion, there would have been a dozen posts saying "got a link?" " Got proof?"

So exactly what did she do wrong?

nothing

it's her stock in trade, nothing

And more.

Other's have pointed to the following simpatico with Obama: both he and Hagel believe that the world is better off without a strong United States, i.e., we create more problems than we solve.

I believe the exact opposite is true: the United States prevents chaos.

i'll ask just for forms sake, although i know it's futile.

what have you read that leads you to believe that hagel believes as you claim he does?

I'm happy whenever I see ANY American politician that has the guts to proclaim independence from Israel. That's very, very rare.

Libs should hate Hagel. He is an evil corporate muti millionaire.

Forum List

Back