Why Hagel?

Hagel is Obama's way of giving the Republicans the one fingered salute. What better man to have in charge of DOD as you trash the agency than a person from the other political party. Then you can heap all the blame on the 'Pubbies after all is said and done. 56 per cent of CNN's viewers believed UN Ambassador Susan Rice's five station stop tour of lies, the Sunday after Benghazi.
Obama never intended to heal the nation's wounds, and he intends to continue rubbing salt into them.

So, you feel perfectly comfortable using other people's words to criticize his choice, but don't feel it's your place to suggest where he could have chosen better?

She did what I would do. Knowing very little about Hagel, I have read some articles on his history...and I came up with an opinion.

How do you come up with an opinion? Base it strictly on what you read on blogs and messageboards?

Truth is...I have yet to see anything in his past that would make him truly qualified for the position.

What do you know about him that would make him qualified?

Oh yeah...and Del....the irony?

If she had simply posted her opinion and cited facts about the man that supported her opinion, there would have been a dozen posts saying "got a link?" " Got proof?"

So exactly what did she do wrong?

nothing

it's her stock in trade, nothing

She posts opinions she agrees with for all of us to debate.

Perhaps you prefer threads titled:

"Romney tried to kill his dog"

with the OP discussing how it was most certainly Romneys intent to have a car accident while his dog was in a crate on the roof.

Yeah...thats more your style of entertainment.

So, you feel perfectly comfortable using other people's words to criticize his choice, but don't feel it's your place to suggest where he could have chosen better?

She did what I would do. Knowing very little about Hagel, I have read some articles on his history...and I came up with an opinion.

How do you come up with an opinion? Base it strictly on what you read on blogs and messageboards?

Truth is...I have yet to see anything in his past that would make him truly qualified for the position.

What do you know about him that would make him qualified?

Oh yeah...and Del....the irony?

If she had simply posted her opinion and cited facts about the man that supported her opinion, there would have been a dozen posts saying "got a link?" " Got proof?"

So exactly what did she do wrong?

nothing

it's her stock in trade, nothing

Do you think Chunky eats smoothie?

Who would you rather it be?

Any one of the 4 star generals we have in this country.

William E. Ward
Charles C. Campbell
Walter L. Sharp
Ann E. Dunwoody
David M. Rodriguez

Rodriguez would never take the job, Ward is a bad bet, the other 3 are for sure less controversial than Hagle, I think a case could be made for any of them.

1. "A friend and admirer of Senator Hagel called the other day to ask whether we’d ever met the nominee to be secretary of defense. We expressed our regrets that we hadn’t. Our friend wanted us to know that Mr. Hagel does not dislike the Jews. We said we were delighted to hear it, but we also tried to convey that the Sun doesn’t care one way or another whether Mr. Hagel likes the Jews. His private views are not what we care about. What we care about is the policy line to which Mr. Hagel would hew.....

2. We’ve written before about this question of private prejudice. Harry Truman didn’t like the Jews. He didn’t like African Americans or the Chinese or Japanese either. We know this from his private correspondence as a young man. Phew! It contains the coarsest kind of bigotry. Yet Truman became one of the great civil rights presidents and one of the greatest friends of Israel. Once lifted to high office in the Senate, where he served as both a senator and as vice president, and then in the presidency, Truman came to see things in a different light and to surmount his biases.

3. But we’ve been covering his [Hagel's] antics for years, and where we’ve come out is that he’s just over his head in terms of policy. So he’s emerged as a shill for Israel’s most implacable foes. It doesn't take a genius to comprehend what the mullahs in Iran are going to make of this nomination.

4. By what deep principles is Senator Hagel guided in his long years of hanging back from anything that could be construed as helpful to the Jewish state or unhelpful to her enemies? He’s made no life’s work of sound money. He’s made no life’s work of constitutional fundamentals. We can’t think of a single over-riding principle in his career, save for an abiding sneer at Israel, in which he seems to take a certain mischievous glee.

5. President Obama may be a lot of things, but he’s no Reagan. From the more than 140 million Americans over the age of 21, he has gone and selected one of the most worrisome figures for defense. It looks like Mr. Hagel’s anti-Israel record is the very raison d’etre of the nomination.

6. It looks like the nomination is about the President’s determination to block Israel from going to its own defense against a regime that, in Iran, is preparing, by its own account, an attempt to annihilate the Jewish state."
Hagel and the Jews - The New York Sun

What can this say to the 69% or so of Jewish Americans who still voted for Obama?
Now, he'll be more flexible....and really stick it to them.

First of all, the New York Sun is the online remnant of a failed New York paper which presented itself as, basically, a "conservative" alternative to the New York Times. It was started by Conrad Black, a Canadian later convicted and jailed in the US for fraud.

This article really does nothing more than parrot the Neo-Conservative line that whatever is bad for Israel is bad for us. The association between the modern-day GOP and the Likud Party of Israel (see: Benjamin Netanyahu) is as tight as a hand inside a custom made glove. And, both parties are scared shitless because Barack Obama won't do what Likud tells him to do, which would amount to relinquishing our sovereignty and foreign policy to Israel's most intractable zealots. You know...like Mitt Romney promised to do? ("I'd call my friend Bibi....")

So, the propaganda machine generates editorials like this for consumption by domestic Jews and the party faithful. Anything to trash Obama, and anybody he nominates for anything, and it might frighten the Jews.

You left out a quote which sums up the author's primary objection to Hagel, so I'll post it for you:

"It looks like Mr. Hagel’s anti-Israel record is the very raison d’etre of the nomination. It looks like the nomination is about the President’s determination to block Israel from going to its own defense against a regime that, in Iran, is preparing, by its own account, an attempt to annihilate the Jewish state."

"It looks like..." In other words, that's the authors opinion which he/she backs up with....nothing. Just a frightening and suggestive opinion aimed at the true believers who will swallow anything they're told about Obama. "OMG! OBAMA!"

But, let's take a look at that criticism and see how it holds up in the light of day, shall we?

"....the President’s determination to block Israel from going to its own defense against a regime..."

Alright...what does that mean and what is it referring too?

Let me tell you. Remember the very public flap over "red lines" during the election, when Netanyhu inserted himself into our presidential election in favor of his friend, Mitt Romney? Do you know what that was about? It was about when, and under what circumstances, Israel should have a free hand to attack Iran. Bibi and Obama disagree on that for a couple of reasons:

1. If left on their own, the Netanyhu government would attack Iran right now. Obama thinks we should wait for conclusive evidence that Iran is on the verge of producing nuclear weapons.

2. When, or if, Israel acts, WE will be drawn into it no matter what. WE will be blamed throughout the world under any conceivable circumstances because of our close and long term affiliation with Israel. Whether we give Israel the green light or not, whether we help them or not, an attack by Israel upon Iran WILL involve us in a war which has the frightening potential to rapidly expand into WWIII.

The right, and apparently including this author, cannot stand the fact that Barack Obama will actively seek to prevent an Israeli attack on Iran until the last possible moment. He will not, and has not, relinquished control over our fate to Tel Aviv and they can't stand it. Lusting for the war they originally planned to wage after Iraq, they're using the Hagel nomination as an excuse to trash a President who actually puts the interests of America ahead of the interests of Israel.

God forbid.

Will Hagel make a good SecDef? I don't know, but it would be interesting to see an enlisted man ordering the generals around, wouldn't it?

John Kerry as Secretary of State. Chuck Hagle as Secretary of Defense. The two have a lot in common. They share an opinion the the US is an evil country that does not deserve a military. obama is doing something he thinks we won't notice.

John Kerry as Secretary of State. Chuck Hagle as Secretary of Defense. The two have a lot in common. They share an opinion the the US is an evil country that does not deserve a military. obama is doing something he thinks we won't notice.

The man got a pass when he was a candidate and refused to release his school records.
He got a pass when it was revealed that he knew Ayers a lot better than he admitted
He got a pass when he refused to discuss hius personal financial deal with a convicted felon
He got a pass when he used presidential privelage so holder didnt have to offer up anything he didnt want to in regard to fast and furious (still waiting for answers on that one)
He got a pass when he went to vegas thew day after an Ambassador lost his life to a terrorist attack
He got a pass when it was revealed by the CBO that he double dipped with 500 billion in the healthcare fianncial analysis

He knows we see what he is doing.

But he knows he will get a pass.

Afterall...the man is black. He gets a pass for that alone.

John Kerry as Secretary of State. Chuck Hagle as Secretary of Defense. The two have a lot in common. They share an opinion the the US is an evil country that does not deserve a military.

Prove it. I dare you.

Funny...Pelosi accused the CIA of lying to congress....and yet you never asked her to prove it.

Yet you want a poster on a messaage board to prove an opinion.

Interesting.

There are large factions in Israel that are not as hawkish towards Iran as US conservatives and they are Israeli!!!

Last edited:
John Kerry as Secretary of State. Chuck Hagle as Secretary of Defense. The two have a lot in common. They share an opinion the the US is an evil country that does not deserve a military.

Prove it. I dare you.

Funny...Pelosi accused the CIA of lying to congress....and yet you never asked her to prove it.

Yet you want a poster on a messaage board to prove an opinion.

Interesting.

Do you agree with that poster?

The man got a pass when he was a candidate and refused to release his school records.
He got a pass when it was revealed that he knew Ayers a lot better than he admitted
He got a pass when he refused to discuss hius personal financial deal with a convicted felon
He got a pass when he used presidential privelage so holder didnt have to offer up anything he didnt want to in regard to fast and furious (still waiting for answers on that one)
He got a pass when he went to vegas thew day after an Ambassador lost his life to a terrorist attack
He got a pass when it was revealed by the CBO that he double dipped with 500 billion in the healthcare fianncial analysis

He knows we see what he is doing.

But he knows he will get a pass.

Afterall...the man is black. He gets a pass for that alone.

hegel-reuters-press-conf.jpg

o_O

Forum List

Back