Why does one polar circle, the Antarctic, have 9 times the ice of the other?

Then you should have said Greenland, not "the Arctic".

For that matter, in your discussion of the differences between the Arctic and the Antarctic, why did you make no mention that one was a continent surrounded by an ocean while the other was an ocean surrounded by continents? Did that wee point slip your mind?

Greenland is overwhelmingly in the Arctic Circle. As for the rest of your post, continue on...

If Earth had two polar oceans, how much ice would Earth have???

Think of Earth's climate as a room with two air conditioning units, each with settings 0 = off and 10 = maxCOOL. Right now, on Earth, the Arctic AC unit is set on 1, and the Antarctic is set on 9. Air that flows over the Antarctic cools 50 F more than air that flows over the Arctic. The Antarctic puts 46 Miss rivers worth of ice into the oceans, the Arctic just 5. If both poles were oceans, there would be no ice, your Jurassic "Warm Earth parameter."

Our whole concept of an "ice age" is totally wrong. Ice ages are continent specific. Ice that stretched out over water has a habit of breaking off, right Mr. Ismay...?? Antarctica is a 50 million year old ice age. Greenland is a baby, under 1 million years old.

Im laughing.......another nightmare for alarmists has now entered the ENVIRONMENT forum to school the k00ks!! Love it.......meanwhile this forum has had only the same 4 OCD global warmers for 8 years now!!

Indeed, I caused this, and got sold out by the GOP House and Senate Judiciary Committees...

The Silence of US President Obama on Climate Change-A Serious Ethical Lapse?

"US President Obama has been silent on climate change for two years" - 2010 - 2012

Why was O silent?

A: An FBI fraud prosecution of the fudgebakers (aka the "top climate scientists")

The GOP is not interested in outing Global Warming as the FRAUD the FBI knows it is, and impeaching Obama as well. Why? Same reason Boehner and now Ryan cave every budget negotiation - covering up 911....

Traitors all...

Dang..........this guy Ledexter..........never seen Old Rocks and Crick get their clocks cleaned so thoroughly in all the time Im in here.( many years ).

On substance, they are getting decimated.............:ack-1::bye1::bye1::bye1:

Then you should have said Greenland, not "the Arctic".

For that matter, in your discussion of the differences between the Arctic and the Antarctic, why did you make no mention that one was a continent surrounded by an ocean while the other was an ocean surrounded by continents? Did that wee point slip your mind?

Greenland is overwhelmingly in the Arctic Circle. As for the rest of your post, continue on...

If Earth had two polar oceans, how much ice would Earth have???

If you have a point to make, please make it.

Yes, indeed, the Arctic is mostly water and the Antarctic is mostly land, proving my point entirely.

The Antarctic has 9 times the ice, is on average 50 F colder, and puts 9 times the ice into the oceans compared to the Arctic. Earth climate change is all about where land is near a pole. If Earth had two polar oceans, Earth would have NO ICE AT ALL. 97% of Earth ice today is on the two land masses closest to an Earth pole (Antarctica 90% Greenland 7%)....

Predicted response: But but but but I have colored charts fudged by taxpayer funded liars....

Yes, indeed, the Arctic is mostly water and the Antarctic is mostly land, proving my point entirely.

What point would that be and how was it proven?

The Antarctic has 9 times the ice, is on average 50 F colder, and puts 9 times the ice into the oceans compared to the Arctic.

Again, the Arctic puts no ice into the oceans. Greenland does, but you did not say Greenland. If you mean Greenland, I suggest you say "Greenland". Otherwise, you sound like a complete idiot.

Earth climate change is all about where land is near a pole.

Not that I doubt what are probably some really impressive scientific credentials on your part, but could you produce a link to some published, peer-reviewed science on which you might have based that claim?

If Earth had two polar oceans, Earth would have NO ICE AT ALL. 97% of Earth ice today is on the two land masses closest to an Earth pole (Antarctica 90% Greenland 7%)....

Pray tell, what exactly would prevent ice from forming on the Arctic and your hypothetical Antarctic Oceans?

Predicted response: But but but but I have colored charts fudged by taxpayer funded liars....

Then I'm really sorry to disappoint you.

Predicted response: no links

Last edited:

The Antarctic has 9 times the ice, is on average 50 F colder, and puts 9 times the ice into the oceans compared to the Arctic. Earth climate change is all about where land is near a pole. If Earth had two polar oceans, Earth would have NO ICE AT ALL. 97% of Earth ice today is on the two land masses closest to an Earth pole (Antarctica 90% Greenland 7%)....

I doubt that during those 4 PREVIOUS ice ages that Arctic Ocean had the capability to start up the massive glacier activity in the Northern Hemi. Even during the full valley of an Ice Age --- probably more ice in Cleveland than there was at the North pole.

So if you're hinting that this is some type of cyclical ping pong of poles helping to INITIATE an Ice Age --- do you have evidence for a diminishment of the South pole during times when the NORTHERN hemi was in Ice Age?

In fact...

Growing Antarctic Ice Sheets May Have Sparked Ice Age

The origins of the last major ice age, which cloaked the Northern Hemisphere in colossal glaciers, might have had a surprising cause: the buildup of ice sheets on the other side of the planet, in Antarctica, researchers say

In the new study, the researchers found evidence that Earth's polar ice sheets began growing between 3.1 million and 2.7 million years ago. However, this time frame means that the glacier growth preceded the growth of major glaciers across North America — the earliest compelling evidence suggests Northern glaciers began growing about 2.7 million years ago.

This finding suggests that most of the earlier ice growth occurred in the Antarctic.

Which seems to indicate that BOTH polar regions had their thermos set low at the SAME time. And that Antarctic STILL dominated the Earth's ocean thermal heat exchanger..

Earth climate change is all about where land is near a pole.

Still waiting for a link supporting this conjecture. Also wondering how much this factor changed since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution to have produced the changes observed since then.

Dexter seems to be another Silly Billy, all blather and no credible evidence to back any of it up. Plus he seems to be addicted to giggle games, like guess what I am talking about. There are many interesting links between the growth of Arctic and Antarctic Ice, many not well understood. A conversation involving credible sources would be interesting, blather and silly games is not.

Dexter seems to be another Silly Billy, all blather and no credible evidence to back any of it up. Plus he seems to be addicted to giggle games, like guess what I am talking about. There are many interesting links between the growth of Arctic and Antarctic Ice, many not well understood. A conversation involving credible sources would be interesting, blather and silly games is not.

It's the documentary format. You know. Where they build up completely mysterious and seemingly unconnected events ----- the drama builds ---- the music gets desperate --- and then near the very end, when they fail to connect the dots, and you've wasted an hour of your life --- you feel cheated and cheap for being sucked in.

Works better on TV tho.. :badgrin:

Think the theory is that Antarctica is headed your way..... It's actually a mobile alien base with lifeforms that can only exist below -40degF

Last edited:
"What point would that be and how was it proven?"

We are discussing the difference between the Arctic Circle and the Antarctic Circle. Here are the basics...

1. Antarctic surface temps are, on average, 50 F colder than the Arctic (I've seen 43 F to 60 F, so I averaged and rounded down. NOBODY disputes that when air flows over the Antarctic, it cools more than it does going over the Arctic, something in the ballpark of 50 F. That's the "air conditioner" at work cooling Earth's atmosphere.

2. Antarctica pumps 9 times the ice into the oceans vs. the Arctic, and 46 times the molecular H20 that the Mississippi River pumps into the Gulf. That Antarctic ice is also much colder than the ice from your freezer. The Russians found -200 F deep in the Antarctic Glacier about 10 years ago when they were drilling to a lake covered by ice for 50 mil years. Since the Antarctic dumps 9 times the ice into the oceans vs. the Arctic, it cools the oceans more too...

The difference is entirely WHERE LAND IS. 90% of Earth ice is on Antarctica. 7% is on Greenland. So 97% of Earth ice is on the two land masses closes to an Earth pole.

Look and notice. The Earth's two "AC units" have settings 0=off to 10=maxcool. The Arctic is set at 1, and the Antarctic is set at 9. THAT is what dictates Earth's current climate. Have a look...

This one below is set at 1...

and this one is set at 9....

So perhaps LAND NEAR AN EARTH POLE HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH EARTH CLIMATE CHANGE....

because if we had two polar oceans, Earth would have NO ICE...

In fact...

The origins of the last major ice age, which cloaked the Northern Hemisphere in colossal glaciers, might have had a surprising cause: the buildup of ice sheets on the other side of the planet, in Antarctica, researchers say

In the new study, the researchers found evidence that Earth's polar ice sheets began growing between 3.1 million and 2.7 million years ago. However, this time frame means that the glacier growth preceded the growth of major glaciers across North America — the earliest compelling evidence suggests Northern glaciers began growing about 2.7 million years ago.

This finding suggests that most of the earlier ice growth occurred in the Antarctic.

Which seems to indicate that BOTH polar regions had their thermos set low at the SAME time. And that Antarctic STILL dominated the Earth's ocean thermal heat exchanger..

Antarctica IS AN ICE AGE....

ICE AGES = continent specific

WHY?

Because when ice grows out over water, it has a habit of breaking off... just ask Bruce Ismay....

In fact...

Antarctica IS AN ICE AGE....

ICE AGES = continent specific

WHY?

Because when ice grows out over water, it has a habit of breaking off... just ask Bruce Ismay....

Was really entertaining to meet Bruce Ismay. I guess he's your source for all this. But random chunks of ice getting jettisoned from the Arctic Ocean does NOT make a climate theory.

Go read about the last 4 Ice Ages that the Earth experienced and tell me how "continent specific" they were.

There ARE major thermal pathways between the poles that are NOT well characterized and that affect the "polar balance" between the 2. But if you're under the impression that Antarctica being in "an Ice Age" is unusual in history OR that MEANS something for the future general state of the GLOBAL climate. You're gonna have to speed this up and starting whooping out the good stuff..

For instance -- When did this Ice Age down low START? for STARTERs.. :biggrin:

Ask yourself what factors are DIFFERENT "near the poles".. Besides the fact that one is solid and the other is a liquid. Which IS the reason (Ding ding ding) that Antarctica is colder and has more ice !!!!

You got that part straight. BTW the geographic poles are not the same as the MAGNETIC poles. So don't get hosed up in the difference..

If you cannot answer that question, you know precisely nothing about Earth climate change...
it's most likely a combination of the ice being on land and the gulf stream heading north.

the water around the arctic poles looks black and therefore absorbs sunlight

the arctic ice is in the water and has things living off of it that melt it

there's a bunch of reasons, none of them are more important than who pays who to cry that we are all going to die soon if we don't give more control to the worlds governments.
the water warms the arctic but the land cannot warm the antarctic. Don't let the warmers off that easy, they do not know this.

Angstrom's. About ten million high school physics and chemistry class experiments since then.

And when are you going to post the repeatable laboratory PROOF that you're a human being?

Cause the evidence that you'e unteachable is just piling up and piling up...

science-jpg.77190

And the arctic has ships that stir the currents in the Arctic. hmmmmm no one ever mentions that. If humans left it alone, perhaps it would be a bit colder in the arctic, but I don't really care.

Today is 60 in chicago and Saturday is expected to be 95 and then Sunday 70. Now that's what CO2 can do for you. CO2 is magic.It can make one day hotter by 20 degrees.

Forum List

Back