Why does a god care if you worship it or not?

FWIW I think the benefit of prayers goes to the person who prays.

ANYTHING that puts us and our lives into perspective such that we recognize that we are not the danged center of the universe seems to me to be a good thing for the person taking the time to do so.

Assuming that you're honestly speaking to GOD, you are also honestly speaking to yourself.

That cannot be a bad thing.

Even if there is NO GOD.

To my children.....I am God

I created them, I provide them with food, I provide a roof over their head and I protect them

If I threatened to banish my children if they did not spend one day a week worshiping me and singing my praises I would be looked at as an asshole

FWIW I think the benefit of prayers goes to the person who prays.

ANYTHING that puts us and our lives into perspective such that we recognize that we are not the danged center of the universe seems to me to be a good thing for the person taking the time to do so.

Assuming that you're honestly speaking to GOD, you are also honestly speaking to yourself.

That cannot be a bad thing.

Even if there is NO GOD.
I pretty much agree. Prayer is a form of meditation. At the very least prayer is self a self soothing behavior for anxious people. And maybe it it make some people feel better about themselves like Allie Bubblehead who prays for my salvation or manifold who lights a candle for me to the patron saint of false dichotomists. :laugh2:

There's my question. What do you guys think? :)

Why do you love your parents?

Love and worship are two different animals.
As are humans and gods, I would think. That is why when people insist you must worship God or that you must show gratitude to God, I am even less inclined to share their beliefs. They are anthropomorphising God. Creating a god in their own image.

The Christian god is a jealous god, and Allah is the same. Being an Atheist as I am I frankly don't devote a moment of my time thinking about them (or heaven or hell), they only exist in the mind of believers not in reality.

But if they do then I would frankly rather burn in the hell they laid out for me, and in the eternity I have fight in a rebellion to depose the tyrant god and his sadistic minions, if successful it will be the god and his angels burning for their crimes against humanity including genocide, rape, torture, slavery, and lets not start on the 'perfect world' he made for mankind to live in, as for the Devil he is simply following a sadistic gods orders (lets not forget god made Hell and Heaven and hired the Devil to run his torture center*). :rolleyes:

*No wonder George W. loves god so much. ;)

Last edited:
The Christian god is a jealous god, and Allah is the same. Being an Atheist as I am I frankly don't devote a moment of my time thinking about them (or heaven or hell), they only exist in the mind of believers not in reality.

But if they do then I would frankly rather burn in the hell they laid out for me, and in the eternity I have fight in a rebellion to depose the tyrant god and his sadistic minions, if successful it will be the god and his angels burning for their crimes against humanity including genocide, rape, torture, slavery, and lets not start on the 'perfect world' he made for mankind to live in, as for the Devil he is simply following a sadistic gods orders (lets not forget god made Hell and Heaven and hired the Devil to run his torture center*). :rolleyes:

Actually, the Bible never stated that this world is a perfect world (I thought the story of Adam and Eve made that clear). Also, the Christian god never created hell. After Satan failed in his betrayal of god, he was sent into a realm of "nothingness" with his minions. Satan took that "nothingness" and created hell himself.. At least, this is according to John Milton's Paradise Lost as well as the speculation from biblical scholars. .

Actually, the Bible never stated that this world is a perfect world (I thought the story of Adam and Eve made that clear). Also, the Christian god never created hell. After Satan failed in his betrayal of god, he was sent into a realm of "nothingness" with his minions. Satan took that "nothingness" and created hell himself.. At least, this is according to John Milton's Paradise Lost as well as the speculation from biblical scholars. .
A realm of nothingness is a contradiction in itself, first you would have to prove there is a realm of nothingness (there is no such thing as nothing in our universe), that aside god obviously created Satan imperfect as he betrayed him, and inadvertently as a result of his actions created evil, and is thus responsible at the very least for the cascade reaction from that, including hell.

PS: The bible disagrees with you.

Genesis 1:31
God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. "God purposefully designed a system that ensures the suffering and death of all his creatures, parasite and host, predator and prey." :cuckoo:

Last edited:
A realm of nothingness is a contradiction in itself, first you would have to prove there is a realm of nothingness (there is no such thing as nothing in our universe), that aside god obviously created Satan imperfect as he betrayed him, and inadvertently as a result of his actions created evil, and is thus responsible at the very least for the cascade reaction from that, including hell.

PS: The bible disagrees with you.

Genesis 1:31
God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. "God purposefully designed a system that ensures the suffering and death of all his creatures, parasite and host, predator and prey." :cuckoo:

Actually, the biblical quote you just shared with us agrees with my point of the world not being perfect. As for the concept of nothingness, I never said it makes sense (I am not a Christian, so I do not follow their ways or religious text). Also, I suppose you could be right about the Christian god knowing what it was doing when it created Satan. It depends if you believe in predestination or not.

Because if you don't, you'll burn in HELL for all of ETERNITY!

:lol:

Last edited:

It was the old testament god who was a jealous God to be feared. "do as God says or you will be punished"

Jesus preached a more loving God. "If you love God, he will love you back"

There's my question. What do you guys think? :)

Why do you love your parents?

Love and worship are two different animals.

"Jesus said to her [Mary Magdalene], 'Do not cling to Me [touch me, KJV], for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God'" (John 20:17).

"And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him" (1 John 4:16).

"Jesus said to her [Mary Magdalene], 'Do not cling to Me [touch me, KJV], for I have not yet ascended to My Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I am ascending to My Father and your Father, and to My God and your God'" (John 20:17).

"And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him" (1 John 4:16).

That's all well and good, but scripture does not change the fact that love and worship are two different words. I think simple logic and understanding of language can tell you that.

Plus, we're talking about why a god (not necessarily a Christian god, but just a god) would want/need to be worshiped. It's possible that the god would want his creations to love him and each other (because that promotes well-being), but we're talking about worship, not love.

That's all well and good, but scripture does not change the fact that love and worship are two different words. I think simple logic and understanding of language can tell you that.

Plus, we're talking about why a god (not necessarily a Christian god, but just a god) would want/need to be worshiped. It's possible that the god would want his creations to love him and each other (because that promotes well-being), but we're talking about worship, not love.

So what does "worship" mean?

1.) treat somebody or something as deity: to treat somebody or something as divine and show respect by engaging in acts of prayer and devotion
2.) take part in religious service
3.) love somebody deeply: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly

The first one is probably the closest definition that pertains to our discussion. While the third may be similar to what you were trying to say, it is used more in a context of a hyperbole (in literature) or simply an exaggeration in a conversation. For example: "He worshiped the ground she walked on."

Last edited:

1.) treat somebody or something as deity: to treat somebody or something as divine and show respect by engaging in acts of prayer and devotion
2.) take part in religious service
3.) love somebody deeply: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly

The first one is probably the closest definition that pertains to our discussion. While the third may be similar to what you were trying to say, it is used more in a context of a hyperbole (in literature) or simply an exaggeration in a conversation. For example: "He worshiped the ground she walked on."

One and three aren't all that different, at least from a Christian point of view.

In you own word, how does one "treat someone or something as deity"?

Jesus defined it as Loving God with all your heart, all your mind and all your spirit.

Read Jesus' words in Luke 10:25 "How to inherit eternal life". No worship, only love.

Forum List

Back