Why does a god care if you worship it or not?

Response to manifold:

I don't believe in a god, so my opinion does not matter. I also never really implied that I DID think a god would care. I am just asking a question. But, I have witnessed the practice of worship in other religions (like the ones I cited). This has always perplexed me so I felt the need to ask a community whose majority believes in a higher power. Since nobody speaks directly to a god, I figured people would base their opinions on either a religious work or on pure speculation.

Also, I looked up the word "troll." Apparently, it is slang for someone who wants to stir up trouble. I don't think I ever intended to stir up trouble (and I have yet to do so). From what I have seen so far, people have remained civil and have stated their opinions in an intelligent and calm manner.

Last edited:
Response to manifold:

I don't believe in a god, so my opinion does not matter. I also never really implied that I DID think a god would care. I am just asking a question. But, I have witnessed the practice of worship in other religions (like the ones I cited). This has always perplexed me so I felt the need to ask a community whose majority believes in a higher power. Since nobody speaks directly to a god, I figured people would base their opinions on either a religious work or on pure speculation.

If that's the case then I'd say you jumped right past the more fundamental question to a less relevant follow-up. That being: Why would God bother creating mankind at all? What does he/she/it get out of it?

Response to manifold:

If that's the case then I'd say you jumped right past the more fundamental question to a less relevant follow-up. That being: Why would God bother creating mankind at all? What does he/she/it get out of it?

So we can worship Him and make Him feel good.

Response to manifold:

And the circle of logic is complete. :lol:

He created this great and marvelous universe just for us.

Is it so hard to say thank you once in a while?

1.) Question is not about whether we should worship it, but why it would want to be worshiped.
2.) God's a he?

1) this issue is acknowledgement. And gratitude. Thanks for the blessings we have, thanks for the opportunities, thanks for the release.

2) no.

A god which cares about being worshipped is a false one.

Last edited:
There's my question. What do you guys think? :)

1. Putting faith in God or God's will first is like putting our thoughts words and actions in perspective with what is the "greatest good" for ourselves and others equally; in other words not putting our own interests before the expense of others, but seeking good will for all. This requires faith in good will to overcome obstacles in the way of such solutions.

2. Having faith in the "good things in life" helps to work through the bad things that happen.
Having an attitude of "thanks or appreciation" despite setbacks or injustice helps to speed up the process of healing and recovery to overcome problems in life. Again, this requires faith that good overcomes bad; and in order to facilitate that process.
This "thanks" is expressed as "thanks to God" but the general idea is to be thankful for the blessings in Life so your spiritual peace of mind and satisfaction in life is not ruined or dependent conditionally on things beyond direct control.
Having faith in the "abundance mentality" as opposed to the scarcity mentality
has been shown to increase success and prosperity in life; the positive attitude attracts the resources and help to achieve greater good.

3. However, faith in God cannot be taken out of context or proper perspective. Someone could claim faith in God and go and kill thinking they are doing God's will or work.

In order to prevent abuses, that is why it is important not only to have
a. respect God's will or the greater good / good will for all
b. but also respect for conscience or Christ "in relation" to laws protecting all people
in other words respect for Equal Justice for all people not just from our viewpoint
c. and also respect for humanity, for peace harmony and security in global society

God's will is for all three levels to be in spiritual peace and harmony:
our physical lives in the real world
our connection by conscience with one another by laws and relationships
our spiritual connection on a global/collective level that God's will or God's truth represents

Where we follow "God's ideal will" on all levels, spiritual mental and physical,
as individuals in relation to others and collectively as the human race,
then all conflicts and wrongs can be resolved and corrected and all restitution made.

Where there are conflicts, that means someone is putting their own personal bias or interest above someone else to create false competition instead of mutual cooperation, and that is why there is imbalance and injustice in the world.

AGain, where we put greater good first, good faith in mutual goals that benefit parties equally, then "God's will" can overcome obstacles or conflicts in the way.

Last edited:

Well, that would be the first question for a theist to ask (I am not a theist). My question was just meant to ask why some people believe that a god cares if it gets worshiped. Now, that doesn't mean that your question is important (if anything, it does correlate with my own question). It would even be an essential question for an atheist to ask to either disprove god's existence (which is not my intention - the belief in god can lead to positive results) or prove that the god is hypocritical.

But why? It's not a human so why does it need/want the approval and worship from a set of "lesser beings?" The Christian god supposedly taught against the sin of pride. Wanting/needing to be worshiped (or even praised or thanked) requires some sort of ego which leads to the sin of pride. So, isn't think a bit hypocritical asking a race of people to adhere to a set of rules, but not adhere to them itself?

My question was just meant to ask why some people believe that a god cares if it gets worshiped.

Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to believe in a God that doesn't care.

IMO that's obvious enough to assume your inquiry is intended to provoke.

Happy trollin' :thup:

My question was just meant to ask why some people believe that a god cares if it gets worshiped.

I think it would make plenty of sense that a god wouldn't care if it was worshiped or not (like I previously said, it would adhere to its own rules - i.e. not committing the sin of pride). If anything, a god wouldn't want to be worshiped, but I guess questioning illogical concepts is trolling.

If there be a diety that created this universe, how would we, with our very limited intellect, understand any of that Diety's intentions or thoughts?

I have come to believe that anyone that claims to know the mind or will of this Diety is either not quite sane, or a conman.

The world would be in pretty good shape if more people worshiped God and less people killed in his name.

Agreed. Although, I am more prone to want less people to kill in its name than the second option.

If there be a diety that created this universe, how would we, with our very limited intellect, understand any of that Diety's intentions or thoughts?

I have come to believe that anyone that claims to know the mind or will of this Diety is either not quite sane, or a conman.

I don't think anyone is claiming to know anything. Most of it is speculation.

Last edited:

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you because your religious upbringing has perhaps made you narrow minded. However it makes sense to me. I find the concept of a god that is uninterested in whether we worship it or not much more plausible than a self absorbed god with tyrannical traits.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you because your religious upbringing has perhaps made you narrow minded. However it makes sense to me. I find the concept of a god that is uninterested in whether we worship it or not much more plausible than a self absorbed god with tyrannical traits.

^ False dichotomy fallacy

Forum List

Back