Why do you care?

TheSuaveOne

Man without a party
Jan 7, 2010
Chicago
It seems as of late I have seen on many political boards, rants about the difference in pay between "the common man" and executives. I am curious, why do people care what someone else makes? Is it because you feel you should make as much as they do, or is it because you feel they do not earn what they make?

If you think you could do what an executive does on a daily basis...why aren't you? What has held you back from being a high paid executive? Who forced you into the job or career path that you have followed?

Are you upset that you didn't have the talent to be professional athlete? Sure it would be nice if I made as much as these super stars, but at the same time, I don't have millions of people willing to drop 50 bucks (or more) to spend the evening to watch me do my job. Nobody is asking for my autograph, no body is requesting my company sell jerseys with my name on them, or ad agencies asking me to be part of a commercial campaign for one of their clients.

Personally, I don't care what someone else makes. I chose a career field that pays less than others. Why? Because it was what I wanted to do (architect). If someone makes more than me, good for them. I do not feel that because of this they should be penalized by the government (in higher tax rates) for exceeding in a field that pays them more than me.

Yes, I would like to see a flat tax on income to pay for the services we use. Sure a flat tax would make someone who earns more than I do pay more, but at the same time, it would be a tax rate equal to mine. Those who make less than me...they would pay less in taxes, but again, at the same rate.

I figured this would be an interesting topic to start up, what say you?

-TSO

It seems as of late I have seen on many political boards, rants about the difference in pay between "the common man" and executives. I am curious, why do people care what someone else makes? Is it because you feel you should make as much as they do, or is it because you feel they do not earn what they make?

If you think you could do what an executive does on a daily basis...why aren't you? What has held you back from being a high paid executive? Who forced you into the job or career path that you have followed?

Are you upset that you didn't have the talent to be professional athlete? Sure it would be nice if I made as much as these super stars, but at the same time, I don't have millions of people willing to drop 50 bucks (or more) to spend the evening to watch me do my job. Nobody is asking for my autograph, no body is requesting my company sell jerseys with my name on them, or ad agencies asking me to be part of a commercial campaign for one of their clients.

Personally, I don't care what someone else makes. I chose a career field that pays less than others. Why? Because it was what I wanted to do (architect). If someone makes more than me, good for them. I do not feel that because of this they should be penalized by the government (in higher tax rates) for exceeding in a field that pays them more than me.

Yes, I would like to see a flat tax on income to pay for the services we use. Sure a flat tax would make someone who earns more than I do pay more, but at the same time, it would be a tax rate equal to mine. Those who make less than me...they would pay less in taxes, but again, at the same rate.

-TSO

I say you figured wrong.

But it was enough to get you to respond, no matter how little your responce aids the discussion. :clap2:

-TSO

But it was enough to get you to respond, no matter how little your responce aids the discussion. :clap2:

-TSO

You have already attempted to lay out your opinion and in doing so openly displayed your shallow thought patterns on the subject. There is no sense in attempting to debate the subject with someone who has already made up their mind on why something is the way it is, regardless of how little thought they put into forming this opinion.

The higher the executives pay is the lower the pay of those actually doing the work is.

And there is proof of this where? Is there a study out there that wasn't sponsored by a union or union backed orginization that backs this up?

In most public compaines, if the executives were paid less, the other employees wouldn't see more money...the stock holders would.

-TSO

The higher the executives pay is the lower the pay of those actually doing the work is.

how many publicly traded companies have you run....

None, mine was a totally privately owned company.

Do you deny that executives laying off workers to increase profits does not increase their compensation?

Do you also deny that laying off workers almost always raises stock prices?
How many publically traded companies have you ran?

Last edited:

-TSO

from one architect to another....i agree....

-TSO

You have already attempted to lay out your opinion and in doing so openly displayed your shallow thought patterns on the subject. There is no sense in attempting to debate the subject with someone who has already made up their mind on why something is the way it is, regardless of how little thought they put into forming this opinion.

Except for the little fact that I am open to other views. I am always willing to change my opinion if I can be shown my original opinion was truely incorrect.

-TSO

It leads to a consolidation for wealth into fewer and fewer hands.

I have no problem with people making money but to make 400 times the average worker pay takes money from the company and instead of investing it into the future of the company. It flushes it down the toilet for someone who will bail on the company in a few short years. I bet god damned well that you could find a bright person to run the company for say maybe 50 times the average worker pay and then invest back into the co on something that wont just walk away in a couple of years.

Last edited:

how many publicly traded companies have you run....

None, mine was a totally privately owned company.

Do you deny that executives laying off workers to increase profits does not increase their compensation?

How many publically traded companies have you ran?

I can give you an example of the company I work for. In the last year we were brought into chapter 11 because of bad decisions of the original family member who was our CEO. He was shown the door by the board of executives. A new CEO was appointed, and now in the next few months, we will be exiting Chapter 11. He will receive a 4 million dollar bonus. Good for him, he saved a floundering company.

Yes, a number of my former co-workers were let go to clean up the books, but at the same time over 2/3rds of the company employees have kept their jobs, without pay cuts. It was his planning and initiatives that have gotten us from the brink to the place we are now. I see no reason why he shouldn't be rewarded for this. Do you?

-TSO

I have no problem with people making money but to make 400 times the average worker pay takes money from the company and instead of investing it into the future of the company it flushes it down the toilet for someone who will bail on the company in a few short years. I bet god damned wellk that you could find a bright person to run the company for say maybe 50 times the average worker pay and then invest back into the co on something that wont just walk away in a couple of years.

If this were the case, why are so many boards not able to find these people willing to make less than the people they are bringing in to run these compaines. Do I believe executives that fail at running these compaines should get huge golden parachutes, no, not really, but at the same time, that is on the board for not being able to negotiate better. The deals these CEOs set up are approved by the boards that hire them.

-TSO

He was just doing the job he was hired to do, same as the janitor in the building.

Very true, but the CEO was able to negotiate his bonus before he stepped on board. Who knows if he would have taken the position if the bonus wasn't part of his deal?

-TSO

I have a problem if I am being told that the company is in dire straights and that I have to work more hours for less pay and give up benefits.

Meanwhile, the person who convinces me to work more for less receives a massive bonus for doing so

I have a problem if I am being told that the company is in dire straights and that I have to work more hours for less pay and give up benefits.

Meanwhile, the person who convinces me to work more for less receives a massive bonus for doing so

But is this bonus based on getting you to work more for less? In most cases...no.

-TSO

But is this bonus based on getting you to work more for less? In most cases...no.

-TSO

THIS opinion, might explain why you are working "for" somebody still.

I have no problem with people making money but to make 400 times the average worker pay takes money from the company and instead of investing it into the future of the company it flushes it down the toilet for someone who will bail on the company in a few short years. I bet god damned wellk that you could find a bright person to run the company for say maybe 50 times the average worker pay and then invest back into the co on something that wont just walk away in a couple of years.

If this were the case, why are so many boards not able to find these people willing to make less than the people they are bringing in to run these compaines. Do I believe executives that fail at running these compaines should get huge golden parachutes, no, not really, but at the same time, that is on the board for not being able to negotiate better. The deals these CEOs set up are approved by the boards that hire them.

-TSO

You just dont get it do you?

Cut all their incomes and stand back and watch who will for the 50 times worker pay.

Forum List

Back