Why do we or you need religion??

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by MajikMyst, Dec 30, 2009.

1. MajikMyst

MajikMyst Honorary Non-member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Another thread in this forum about when did we make the choice about religion.. Kinda got me thinking about the bigger question.. Why do we have it and do we still need it??

I can only answer for myself and as I am sure most of you know, I am not religions.. I am not one that I would say needs a religion.. Science for me has explained much of the previous unknowns.. For instance, we all know that the Sun and Moon are not gods.. We know what an eclipse is and can predict them.. We know what astroids are and we know how the weather works..

There are not really in serious mysteries for mankind.. Nothing that religions really fills in for.. So why do we have it?? Why do we need it??

What is it that religions fulfills and what purpose does it serve??

Do we as a people need it to survive or do you personally need it?? If so why??

2. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Individuals turn to religion as a pseudo-answer to questions they cannot answer and a source of comfort when faced with their own destruction or insignificance.

Society uses religion as both a unifying factor and a means of controlling the masses.
    I emphatically disagree.

3. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    There was a thread that went by the title "Is religion necessary" or along those lines.

A big fuss erupted on that thread--that is when J Beaukman would call belivers fools and some religious poster would call J B a fool and what a roe that turn into!!

To bad the atheists on this board of late are to courtesy for that to happen again!! I truly enjoyed the child-like brawls that JB would get into with believers. I found it quite amusing, to say the least!!

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Fear of the unknown, death and the unexplaiinable is the main reason for religion in my opinion.

Why the right is so much into religion.

5. Smartt33

Smartt33 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +147
    We don't need religion.

6. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, this all depends on how we define 'religion''....

7. MajikMyst

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    The point there was, there are not mysteries that mankind is affraid of.. Or views as a determining factor of our survival..

My statement is true.. We are no longer affraid of an eclipse as we once were.. You can disagree.. But please qualify your disagreement?

8. MajikMyst

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Religion is the believing in and worshiping of a god by whatever name you want to use and putting your faith in said god in hopes of recieving a reward..

That is the only definition in modern times..

–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
    2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
    3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
    4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
    5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
    6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

Take your pick!! In either case we know what the definition of religion is and we all define it the same..

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. ☭proletarian☭

☭proletarian☭ Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay... when you can repost that with actual sentences, I'll respond further.

10. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    The opium of the optimistically deluded?

Still, do you really want to see these people go through withdrawals?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1