Why do we or you need religion??

☭proletarian☭;1857204 said:
Where to start?

To find the truth.

There are too many mutually exclusive religions for that to stand. Religion does not seek truth, but answers. The accurac yof the answers do not matter in religion, only that they are answers people want to hear or that require no further thought. That is why we hjave always seen the gods of the gaps.
To find true peace and joy in this life and the life to come
See above.
. To recieve the blessings God has in store for us but which arae conditional upon some action on our part.
Only in your religion.

To become the people we are destined to be.

Only in religions that believe in predestination (and therefore no free will, no sin, no salvation, and no Christ).

None of what you said applies to religion and only some of it applies to Christianity.

Truth stands even if we don't believe it. Truth is truth even when we believe a lie to be the truth. Absolute truth is truth all the time. Relative truth is not absolute truth.

If you run a red light in the middle of the night, and no one is around to see that event, it is still truth that you ran a red light. Just because no one saw it, or can prove it, doesn't mean it is not true.

If I see you run a reed light in the middle of the night, and no one else is around, I still cannot prove it, but now we both know that you ran a red light, it is truth, but it cannot be proven.

If I say that Mamma makes the best apple pie in the world, that is a truth for me, but it is not absolute truth. It is opinion, and I will likely never taste an apple pie that tases better than Mamma's apple pie. You, however may believe that Daddy's apple pie is better. There is no absolute truth regarding Mamma's apple pie being the best apple pie in the world.

Therer is absolute truth and relative truth. Absolute truth will not change even if everyone in the world believes it is a lie.

I believe God is absolute, and no matter how we believe, God will still be truth. It does not matter what I believe or what you believe, however, you can count on it, if God is absolute, that will not change.

He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He comforts my soul.....
Sam Adams?

BostonLagerPintGlass.jpg

What is it that religions fulfills and what purpose does it serve??

Ultimately religion exists at all because of a question which perhaps can never be answered by humans on earth, of which science is futile.

Will life continue after death, does soul exist?

You need faith for a "yes", or you need the same amount of faith for a "no". Scientifically the answer is "I don't know" yet it doesn't seem to be an option you can keep in your life time. Even when you consciously say that "I don't care about my life at all", your sub-consciousness may have already picked a "no" for you.

It is a faith question demanding a faith answer for everyone to go through in his/her life span, and make a decision.

Christianity best addressed this question to say that "Your soul can be saved by faith in Jesus Christ".

A faith question?? I guess my issue is why have faith in something that is not provable, in fact can be proven to be incorrect.. I have faith so every Sunday I go to church to listen to some moron spit into a microphone and wave a book around.. And then I am going to give him some of my hard earned cash.. I am going to listen to some moron tell me how horrible I am and how I am a sinner and fall short of the glory of god.. I am then going to pay this moron for insulting me and my family.. Despite the fact that in Christs own words, he tells us not to judge.. So?? Faith is paying some moron to sin??

I guess what is baffeling to me is that, for whatever reason. Religious people have faith in god, but not in humanity?? God created humans.. Why not have faith in them?

Is faith really spending the one life, you know to exist worshiping a questionalble god and book, all so you might have a chance at a life you have no evidence does exist??

Seems to me faith in god is a waste of life..

I have faith in God and in humans, since as you say God created us. I just have greater faith in God because I know humans are imperfect.

Another thread in this forum about when did we make the choice about religion.. Kinda got me thinking about the bigger question.. Why do we have it and do we still need it??

I can only answer for myself and as I am sure most of you know, I am not religions.. I am not one that I would say needs a religion.. Science for me has explained much of the previous unknowns.. For instance, we all know that the Sun and Moon are not gods.. We know what an eclipse is and can predict them.. We know what astroids are and we know how the weather works..

There are not really in serious mysteries for mankind.. Nothing that religions really fills in for.. So why do we have it?? Why do we need it??

Do we as a people need it to survive or do you personally need it?? If so why??

i think 'need' is an overstatement. there's a lot of demand for religion. 'want'

religion is not merely to explain shit in the world. i think that that is one of the marginal roles which it plays nowadays. the religious desire for understanding the physical world is an obligation eroding the integrity of science, where science acts as a belief system whereby people put faith in science much the same as people put it in god.

many people like mysticism and spiritituality, tradition and superstition. in fact, ive rarely met anyone who is devoid of any desire for those. these have been very dull folks. they didnt seem very bright, rather just cold and anti-social. religion is a way to structure the appreciation for this realm in a society, much in the way science functions with knowledge.

money, power and politics tug and operate within each of religion and science. the parallel between the two runs deep. people use science and religion in ways that blurs any distinction between them at all.

There is NOONE on this EARTH who can make me believe there is NOT A GOD!! For example: I was walking home in 14 inches of snow and the streets were like a ghost town with little to no traffic and noone walking as well. I came to a corner and a car with a group of white guys stopped (I'm a light-skinned AA) the guy in the backseat said, "there's one", the driver looked at me (I was terrified) and said, "No, she's a ******". Believe me that was the first time in my life I was glad to be called that name. But as they drove off I prayed to God that they would not find a White girl who was trying to get home in the snow like me. This was in 1977.

Last edited:
Another thread in this forum about when did we make the choice about religion.. Kinda got me thinking about the bigger question.. Why do we have it and do we still need it??

I can only answer for myself and as I am sure most of you know, I am not religions.. I am not one that I would say needs a religion.. Science for me has explained much of the previous unknowns.. For instance, we all know that the Sun and Moon are not gods.. We know what an eclipse is and can predict them.. We know what astroids are and we know how the weather works..

There are not really in serious mysteries for mankind.. Nothing that religions really fills in for.. So why do we have it?? Why do we need it??

Why do the ANTI RELIGIOUS NEED to attack religion? And the peole that practice it?

Pretty simple concept, if you do not believe why do you have this unquenchable NEED to start threads attacking people that do BELIEVE?

Honest, my belief is not effected by someone else's belief or non belief. I have no need to belittle or attack non believers to justify my belief.

Why do the ANTI RELIGIOUS NEED to attack religion? And the peole that practice it?

Pretty simple concept, if you do not believe why do you have this unquenchable NEED to start threads attacking people that do BELIEVE?

Honest, my belief is not effected by someone else's belief or non belief. I have no need to belittle or attack non believers to justify my belief.

And Why do the Religious need to attack the anti-religious? I am not talking about you, RGS, but there are some believers that keep posting "atheists are going to hell" and "what are you going to do when you meet god" threads.

I am referering to a amphibian christian poster with teeth!! Those are anti-anti-religious attacks. Just that this anti-religious finds such attacks humorous.

Forum List

Back