Why do some religions hate other religions so much?

So why do Christians kill each other over who is Protestant and Catholic in Northern Ireland? Both believe in Christ, right? I've never got that one either.

And the Jews and the Muslims, why do they hate each other?

Actually, Jews and Muslims don't hate each other historically. The current conflict where they do hate each other is over the land of Israel, etc. Before WWII, Jews had gotten along with Muslims throughout history. In fact, Jews found a safe haven in history in several Muslim lands despite the Christians.

It was the Christians who actually began to hate on the Jews around the time of the Crusades. Those Muslims who hate the Jews are merely using that hatred to fulfill their own end.

As to why they hide behind religion, it's easy. If one can "use" religion to justify their actions, it will make those actions seem right to them. Not only that, but they also believe that religion will make others around them of the same religion believe in what they're trying to sell too. Sadly, it works much of the time as history can attest to.

Last edited:
i think most all religions are fascinating! I am now even getting in to greek mythology....which i have never taken any time to study previously and it is very interesting! :D

That's why I started this thread! Just wondering where inside people that hate comes from for others not like them.

1.) Ignorance

2.) Fear of Change

3.) Fear in general.

4.) Mob Mentality

5.) Power

I can explain those five further if you like Echo.

So why do Christians kill each other over who is Protestant and Catholic in Northern Ireland? Both believe in Christ, right? I've never got that one either.

That one is definitely more political. Originally, religion was an issue, but it's politcal now. A good example of why having no offical state religion is desired.

Nearly everyone's religion says that the one that they follow is the only correct one.

Which makes it easy to claim that God is only on your side, and hence easier to justify violence, oppression etc on those that do not follow it. Religion itself is rarely the cause, only the fig leaf which they hide behind.

Here is an interesting fatwa.

Definition: A fatwa is an Islamic religious ruling, a scholarly opinion on a matter of Islamic law.
A fatwa is issued by a recognized religious authority in Islam. But since there is no hierarchical priesthood or anything of the sort in Islam, a fatwa is not necessarily "binding" on the faithful. The people who pronounce these rulings are supposed to be knowledgable, and base their rulings in knowledge and wisdom. They need to supply the evidence from Islamic sources for their opinions, and it is not uncommon for scholars to come to different conclusions regarding the same issue.

Islam Question and Answer - Principles and guidelines for Muslims’ relations with non-Muslims

I don't know. I think it has more to do with religion in general than Islam in particular.

Atrocities of the Christian Church

People will do anything if they think they are doing it for God.

What is sad is that if you want to find atrocities of the Christian church, you have to go back a few hundred years like you just did. And if you want to find great progress in Islam, you have to go back a few hundred years. Clearly one religion is progressing while the other is regressing. That said, religion, nationalism and militant atheism are real problems in our world today.

I don't get it. Can someone explain?

Human nature. If you're enthusiastic about your own discoveries you want to share that with others. If everyone else does too then you have competition.

It's human nature to be flawed by grasping, jealousy, pride, ignorance, and aversion.

And it's human nature to project onto others what we disown in ourselves. The demons and gods are within us. We have to work with our own minds, and transform them rather than looking outside ourselves at what others are doing or not doing. JMO.

Just to expand on this excellent post...I would only add that human nature also compels a need to pigeonhole people based solely on what they are and not on who they are.

And as a rule, the judgments of what they are is usually based on the most stereotypical, outrageous caricatures... characterized nearly entirely by the worst radical fringe elements of the group to which they are associated.

I don't think that it is as much that protestants hate catholic and catholics hate protestants, or that jews hate muslim and muslims hate jews, or that christians hate jews and muslims and jews hate christians and muslims and muslims hate christians and jews...it's that we ALL HATE EACH OTHER.

Religion is just an excuse that comes with a fancy manual.

Because those who are NOT in Christ will hate just like everyone else.

So does that mean that you love all muslims and all people...or are you NOT in Christ?

Forum List

Back