Why do so many people deny climate change

loa

Sep 8, 2013
I just finished reading a post in which Abraham responded to a comment by posting a graph. After realizing the person he was talking to was taking visual cues from a picture and ignoring the information in the graph, I started thinking about why people deny climate change.

Tim Prosser wrote an interesting article on the subject and it came down to just a few ideas:

One is that many people who deny global warming do not have a science background. Therefore, they find themselves in a bind when dealing with the materials explaining the issue.

Additionally, climate change discussion has become so politicized and misinformation so regularly injected by those with incentive to do so that the conversation is overwhelming for many people to sort through.

And last but not least, I think the prospect of declining living standards creates an emotional response in people that in many ways shares the stages of grief. People are emotionally attached to lifestyles and it is VERY difficult to accept data that may point toward new behaviors.

K.

"Denying Climate change?" What a stupid thing to say

We question the hypothesis that an additional wisp of CO2 is melting the polar Ice caps and have asked, repeatedly, for some experimental evidence

We get pooh flinging monkey talking about "Deniers!" in return

When you have been lied to the first time about the climate becoming an ice age in the 70's then changed to warming you tend not to believe them.

They also are not addressing why so many planets in our solar system climates are changing also.

It seems to be tied to something that is happening to our Solar System not mankind's pollution.

When you have been lied to the first time about the climate becoming an ice age in the 70's then changed to warming you tend not to believe them.

They also are not addressing why so many planets in our solar system climates are changing also.

It seems to be tied to something that is happening to our Solar System not mankind's pollution.
It was the global warming deniers, who you now believe, who lied to you about a coming Ice Age. The vast majority of scientists were predicting global warming in the 70s.

And the planetary canard has been addressed! Some planets and moons are warming, but other planets and moons are cooling, so it is obviously related to conditions in each location rather than a solar system related cause.

NOBODY denies that climate change is real!

What the vast majority of us deny is the amount of impact modern civilization has upon it. And, we find it most disturbing that the vast majority of Globull Warming alarmists try to put the blame on the USA and not on the real culprits - China and most 3rd world countries that produce the vast amount of gases and smoke that MIGHT have a small impact on these changes.

Do immissions affect ocean temperatures?

And, why exactly is warming that horrible? Plants react afirmatively to warmer weather and they produce gases. Should we denude the planet of plants?

All living creatures produce such so-called harmful gases. Reduce all such life on earth?

And don't give me this BS that Obumbler's avowed goal of destroying the coal industry is going to save the planet from Globull Warming or Climate Change. :mad:

p.s.,

next post is a WASHINGTON POST editorial on the subject!

Last edited:
Lomborg: “Don’t blame climate change for extreme weather”

Written By : William Teach, September 14, 2013

I’m shocked that the Washington Post has allowed this op-ed to be published, which blows away so many of the myths of extreme weather and “climate change”, many of which have been exposed time and again by many Climate Realists

Read story with links @ Lomborg: ?Don?t blame climate change for extreme weather? | Right Wing News

And here's his closing comment:

It is understandable that a lot of well-meaning people, wanting stronger action on global warming, have tried to use the meme of extreme weather to draw attention. But alarmism and panic are rarely the best way to achieve good policies. The argument that global warming generally creates more extreme weather needs to be retired.

Frank said:
...Denying Climate change?" What a stupid thing to say....We question the hypothesis that an additional wisp of CO2 is melting the polar Ice caps.....Boo fucking hoo....Frank is a meany for daring to ask where our experiments are .....

Well, Frank - I don't see questioning as much as I see chuckle-headed leaps and spouting of pre-prepared talking points handed out by questionable sources. It seems that here, and on other message boards where the subject comes up, responses are completely ignored or misunderstood, with a complete circle back to original talking points that don't stand up to the data. Now, of course, I do not intend to say EVERYONE does this. I am saying it seems to be the trend.

You say people think you are mean? I wouldn't know about that. All I can say is it appears you leap fast with the tongue-fist. Maybe that is a case of hyper-argumentitis rather than being mean. Which ever, you seem VERY sure of your position.

Peach said:
When you have been lied to the first time about the climate becoming an ice age in the 70's then changed to warming you tend not to believe them. They also are not addressing why so many planets in our solar system climates are changing also. It seems to be tied to something that is happening to our Solar System not mankind's pollution.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'lied to'. You think scientists who study this lied? Or you read some sort of popular book which sensationalized ideas and then felt lied to? I'm not sure what you mean.

Let me ask you something. Let's assume for the sake of argument that mankind is NOT causing global warming. Rather, it is the product of some sort of planetary/solar system sort of thing going on. Even if this is the case, as we KNOW we can slow/change/effect what is occurring by changing our behavior, why not go ahead and do that?

ADDED NOTE FOR OROGENICMAN: Good morning! I realized I didn't even say hi! Hope you have a wonderful weekend and even better, get some good shots if you are going to LSA. :) Maybe there is a spot here for some photos.

K.

Last edited:
I would never deny that climate changes. That would be foolish. Now the Mayan calendar, Y2K, global warming and other doomsday predictions are another thing. By the way, has anyone read the latest UN report? Too funny.

It was the global warming deniers, who you now believe, who lied to you about a coming Ice Age. The vast majority of scientists were predicting global warming in the 70s.

And the planetary canard has been addressed! Some planets and moons are warming, but other planets and moons are cooling, so it is obviously related to conditions in each location rather than a solar system related cause.

It was the media who said ice age and media now who say global warming not global warming deniers.
We did not believe the media back in the 70's, just like we don't believe the media now about warming.
It's about the climates on other planets that are changing, not about them cooling or warming.
This is not being addressed.
Why are storms increasing and becoming stronger on certain planets just like our storms are increasing.
Scientists are still saying they don't have enough complete information to really come to an exact conclusion as to what is really happening.
The left have taken over and have made it political, they did it in the 70's and they are doing it now with global warming.

The Scientists did not address it properly in the 70's and they are doing the same mistake now.
They are not getting out there countering the lies being reported.

I think that the majority agree that our climate is changing, it's the cause that is being questioned.

Once again the left and the media are changing that to false accusations of climate deniers
when its actually about the cause we are arguing about.

It was the media who said ice age and media now who say global warming not global warming deniers.
We did not believe the media back in the 70's, just like we don't believe the media now about warming.
It's about the climates on other planets that are changing, not about them cooling or warming.
Why are storms increasing and becoming stronger on certain planets just like our storms are increasing.
Scientists are still saying they don't have enough complete information to really come to an exact conclusion as to what is really happening.
The left have taken over and have made it political, they did it in the 70's and they are doing it now with global warming.

The Scientists did not address it properly in the 70's and they are doing the same mistake now.

I think that the majority agree that our climate is changing, it's the cause that is being questioned.

Once again the left and the media are changing that to false accusations of climate deniers
You don't believe the scientists who didn't lie to you in the 70s, but you believe the Right-wing media who are lying to you now. :cuckoo:

The deniers are claiming that global warming ended 15 years ago and we are "cooling," they are the ice agers all over again. That is not debating the "cause," that is denying the warming. We no longer have cooling cycles, for the last 100 years we get warming cycles and in place of the cooling cycles we get flat cycles followed by new warming picking up where the last warming cycle ended. Something has disrupted the natural pattern of warming and cooling cycles.

You don't believe the scientists who didn't lie to you in the 70s, but you believe the Right-wing media who are lying to you now. :cuckoo:
The deniers are claiming that global warming ended 15 years ago and we are "cooling," they are the ice agers all over again. That is not debating the "cause," that is denying the warming. We no longer have cooling cycles, for the last 100 years we get warming cycles and in place of the cooling cycles we get flat cycles followed by new warming picking up where the last warming cycle ended. Something has disrupted the natural pattern of warming and cooling cycles.

What part of Media lied then and Media is lying now are you not getting?
The Scientists did not get out there and get actual data out to counter the Media.

Frank said:
...Denying Climate change?" What a stupid thing to say....We question the hypothesis that an additional wisp of CO2 is melting the polar Ice caps.....Boo fucking hoo....Frank is a meany for daring to ask where our experiments are .....

Well, Frank - I don't see questioning as much as I see chuckle-headed leaps and spouting of pre-prepared talking points handed out by questionable sources. It seems that here, and on other message boards where the subject comes up, responses are completely ignored or misunderstood, with a complete circle back to original talking points that don't stand up to the data. Now, of course, I do not intend to say EVERYONE does this. I am saying it seems to be the trend.

You say people think you are mean? I wouldn't know about that. All I can say is it appears you leap fast with the tongue-fist. Maybe that is a case of hyper-argumentitis rather than being mean. Which ever, you seem VERY sure of your position.

Peach said:
When you have been lied to the first time about the climate becoming an ice age in the 70's then changed to warming you tend not to believe them. They also are not addressing why so many planets in our solar system climates are changing also. It seems to be tied to something that is happening to our Solar System not mankind's pollution.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'lied to'. You think scientists who study this lied? Or you read some sort of popular book which sensationalized ideas and then felt lied to? I'm not sure what you mean.

Let me ask you something. Let's assume for the sake of argument that mankind is NOT causing global warming. Rather, it is the product of some sort of planetary/solar system sort of thing going on. Even if this is the case, as we KNOW we can slow/change/effect what is occurring by changing our behavior, why not go ahead and do that?

ADDED NOTE FOR OROGENICMAN: Good morning! I realized I didn't even say hi! Hope you have a wonderful weekend and even better, get some good shots if you are going to LSA. :) Maybe there is a spot here for some photos.

K.

^ Old Rocks sock account

Where's the evidence? Where are the repeatable lab experiments?

800ppm CO2 raises temperature 3-8 degrees, let's see it

What part of Media lied then and Media is lying now are you not getting?
The Scientists did not get out there and get actual data out to counter the Media.
You did not qualify you claim of being lied to in the 70s until I pointed out that it wasn't the scientists who lied to you. Now you blame the scientists for the media's failure to publicize the position of science as if the scientists control corporate media. :cuckoo:

Admit it, you believe whatever media you agree with and only media you agree with no matter what science says.

First: HELLO LOA! Wish you the best of luck, here. It's a bit of a rough crowd.

The greenhouse effect has been demonstrated in labs a multitude of times. The absorption spectra, determined in vitro, of the various gases involved are available in reference works of all shape and size. The continued diatribe that it has never been proven in the lab begins to make me nauseous. Screaming something over and over again does not make it so.

The global temperature trend from 1941 to 1979 could very well convince someone that we were headed for an ice age. However, that opinion was NEVER widespread among climate scientists. As you noted, it was THE MEDIA that told you so: media that makes money with scandal and tittilation. But it is NOT just the media telling you about global warming these days. Unlike the 1970s ice age nonsense, a significant majority of climate scientists believe that the warming we have experienced over the last 150 years has been primarily caused by human GHG emissions.

It is ridiculous to claim that any particular weather event is the result of global warming. It is equally ridicuous to claim that global warming will have no effect on our weather. Our weather is driven - ENTIRELY - by its thermal energy content. As that content increases, the energy available to drive our weather increases and the average intensity of the weather so driven follows it upward. Rejecting that is completely unsupportable.

Bjorn Lomborg's training is in political science. His opinion on any relationship between warming and weather extremes is worthless. That it should see the light of day in "Right Wing News" only supports my PoV here.

Loa makes a very good point when she notes that many climate change deniers are driven by a fear of loss or major alterations in the lifestyles to which they have become accustomed. I'd say a far broader and better supported case could be made for that than for the common charge that AGW is a hoax perpetrated by climate scientists looking to get rich from research grant money.

Do you know what happens when the ice & glaciers melts?
It produces more plants.
What does plants breath in? CO2

Seems that the Earth knows what she is doing.

Forum List

Back