Why do so many people deny climate change

I just finished reading a post in which Abraham responded to a comment by posting a graph. After realizing the person he was talking to was taking visual cues from a picture and ignoring the information in the graph...

I believe that's me you're talking about.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/envir...rming-over-the-past-20-years.html#post7831617

The information in his graph is meaningless. No source, no citations, nothing but numbers and lines that ANYONE could have simply made up.

You can accept it as valid, but you'd be taking it on faith.

And that's the problem with AGW: The science doesn't back it up, so it has to be taken on faith.

Why do so many people think a couple degree increase in temperature will result in death and destruction on a biblical scale?

I don't deny the earth is warming slightly. I don't deny that people have an affect on the climate.

I just don't buy the predictions of catastrophe.

First: HELLO LOA! Wish you the best of luck, here. It's a bit of a rough crowd.

The greenhouse effect has been demonstrated in labs a multitude of times. The absorption spectra, determined in vitro, of the various gases involved are available in reference works of all shape and size. The continued diatribe that it has never been proven in the lab begins to make me nauseous. Screaming something over and over again does not make it so.

The global temperature trend from 1941 to 1979 could very well convince someone that we were headed for an ice age. However, that opinion was NEVER widespread among climate scientists. As you noted, it was THE MEDIA that told you so: media that makes money with scandal and tittilation. But it is NOT just the media telling you about global warming these days. Unlike the 1970s ice age nonsense, a significant majority of climate scientists believe that the warming we have experienced over the last 150 years has been primarily caused by human GHG emissions.

It is ridiculous to claim that any particular weather event is the result of global warming. It is equally ridicuous to claim that global warming will have no effect on our weather. Our weather is driven - ENTIRELY - by its thermal energy content. As that content increases, the energy available to drive our weather increases and the average intensity of the weather so driven follows it upward. Rejecting that is completely unsupportable.

Bjorn Lomborg's training is in political science. His opinion on any relationship between warming and weather extremes is worthless. That it should see the light of day in "Right Wing News" only supports my PoV here.

Loa makes a very good point when she notes that many climate change deniers are driven by a fear of loss or major alterations in the lifestyles to which they have become accustomed. I'd say a far broader and better supported case could be made for that than for the common charge that AGW is a hoax perpetrated by climate scientists looking to get rich from research grant money.

Please explain how global warming has caused record gains in sea ice this year.

Earth Gains A Record Amount Of Sea Ice In 2013 ? ?Earth has gained 19,000 Manhattans of sea ice since this date last year, the largest increase on record? | Climate Depot

Do you know what happens when the ice & glaciers melts?
It produces more plants.
What does plants breath in? CO2

Seems that the Earth knows what she is doing.
So why is CO2 increasing?[/QUOTE]

Not according the the Scientist's at the University of Bristol in England. They say CO2 has not increased dramatically.
I say we need to replant the rain forests. Especially the one in the Amazon.
I don't think that it is the burning of fossil fuels.
I think we should focus on more planting more plants and trees.

When did climate change start really accelerating?
In the 70's.
What happened in the 70's?
During the 1970s, deforestation rates accelerated to clear land for cattle, to increase subsistence agriculture as well as for commercial agriculture, and for infrastructural improvements.

Last edited:
'
The Denialist dolts are criminally ignorant of science, and they cannot bear to think of their beliefs and way of life being challenged.

They would not recognize a fact if it fell on them ... like an iceberg.

And Global Heating is a fact.

When you have been lied to the first time about the climate becoming an ice age in the 70's then changed to warming you tend not to believe them.

They also are not addressing why so many planets in our solar system climates are changing also.

It seems to be tied to something that is happening to our Solar System not mankind's pollution.

The majority of Earth scientists in the 1970s did not subscribe to the "coming ice age" hypothesis that was promoted by a handful of people. And the suggestion that "so many planets are changing", apparently in lock step with the Earth, is also not true. And a lot of science has been done since then, so to use that as an excuse to do nothing is just stupid.

'
The Denialist dolts are criminally ignorant of science, and they cannot bear to think of their beliefs and way of life being challenged.

But who cares s0n?

The answer is?

Nobody.

The whole debate is nothing more than an internet hobby for people with a rather dull life ( sorta like me......although Im in here for a cup of coffee each day only ).....nobo9dy gives a rats ass about consensus or none. In 2013, global warming is on nobodys radar >>>>

Global surveys show environmental concerns rank low among public concerns

Which means any significant climate change legislation isn't happening.

Which means green energy will continue to be nothing more than a fringe market for energy.

Which means if you're a climate crusader OC>>>>>

1005294_437232729708878_1258669765_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just finished reading a post in which Abraham responded to a comment by posting a graph. After realizing the person he was talking to was taking visual cues from a picture and ignoring the information in the graph, I started thinking about why people deny climate change.

Tim Prosser wrote an interesting article on the subject and it came down to just a few ideas:

One is that many people who deny global warming do not have a science background. Therefore, they find themselves in a bind when dealing with the materials explaining the issue.

Additionally, climate change discussion has become so politicized and misinformation so regularly injected by those with incentive to do so that the conversation is overwhelming for many people to sort through.

And last but not least, I think the prospect of declining living standards creates an emotional response in people that in many ways shares the stages of grief. People are emotionally attached to lifestyles and it is VERY difficult to accept data that may point toward new behaviors.

K.

No one denies that the climate changes, we deny that you have any compelling evidence that man has caused a run away green house effect. We deny that with in a hundred years we will all be dead if we don't cut our throats now and cripple our industry.

It produces more plants.

So why is CO2 increasing?

Not according the the Scientist's at the University of Bristol in England. They say CO2 has not increased dramatically.
I say we need to replant the rain forests. Especially the one in the Amazon.
I don't think that it is the burning of fossil fuels.
I think we should focus on more planting more plants and trees.

When did climate change start really accelerating?
In the 70's.
What happened in the 70's?
During the 1970s, deforestation rates accelerated to clear land for cattle, to increase subsistence agriculture as well as for commercial agriculture, and for infrastructural improvements.
Large rise in CO2 emissions sounds climate change alarm | Environment | The Guardian

US scientists reporting the second-greatest annual rise in CO2 emissions in 2012.

Carbon dioxide levels measured at at Mauna Loa observatory in Hawaii jumped by 2.67 parts per million (ppm) in 2012 to 395ppm, said Pieter Tans, who leads the greenhouse gas measurement team for the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The record was an increase of 2.93ppm in 1998.

'

And a couple degrees here or there won't matter much.

Don't worry we're not all gonna die.

It produces more plants.

But you don't. There is not enough ice covered land on the planet to have any significant effect. And you seem to assume that exposed land will immediately blossom with mature forests or rainforests. Not so.

Do any of you denier sock puppets have anything that works better than this?

hv3os5.jpg

No? That's what I thought.

How about this?

wvy9e0.jpg

Last edited:
Is the climate changing?

Well let's say it's definitely different than it has been in the recent past.

Because of this we are witnessing the destruction of industries and the annihilation of jobs.

And to what end? Staving off "global warming"?

:lol:

Forum List

Back