Why do so many Atheist and Christians misunderstand what Hell really is ?

There is a literal hell. The Bible does say that. The scripture refering a seperation from God is refering to life here on earth. When you live a life separated from God is a termed as hell, not the physical hell of eternity. I hope I have helped you in not misrepresenting the Bible.

Explain then why the lake of fire is called the second death and not a place of torment ? And why death and helll are cast into the lake of fire ?

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

So are they gonna be put death being cast into the lake of fire or are they gonna be tormented.

Anyone who teaches that God will torment people forever are ignorant of the scriptures and should not speak on the subject because you offend the creator not to mention drive people away from God by making him look sadistic.
If you are saved your soul goes to heaven. If you are not it waits until the Great White Throne of Judgment where it is judged and thrown into the lake of fire. First death is when you physically die here on earth, your sour lives on. The second death is when you are thrown into the lake of fire to be tormented forever.

Is The soul a living being without a body ?

Mat 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. But rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

What i believe is any living creature is a soul.

Gen 1:20

(ASV) And God said, Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

(BBE) And God said, Let the waters be full of living things, and let birds be in flight over the earth under the arch of heaven.

(CEV) God said, "I command the ocean to be full of living creatures, and I command birds to fly above the earth."

(KJV) And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

(KJV+) And GodH430 said,H559 Let the watersH4325 bring forth abundantlyH8317 the moving creatureH8318 that hath life,H5315 H2416 and fowlH5775 that may flyH5774 aboveH5921 the earthH776 inH5921 the openH6440 firmamentH7549 of heaven.H8064

(MKJV) And God said, Let the waters swarm with swarmers having a living soul; and let birds fly over the earth on the face of the expanse of the heavens.

Look at that last translation i posted.

Gen 2:7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 36:6 And Esau took his wives, and his sons, and his daughters, and all the souls of his house, and his cattle, and all his beasts, and all his possessions, which he had gathered in the land of Canaan; and went into a land away from his brother Jacob.

A soul is life, a person,an animal.

Lev 18:29 For whosoever shall do any of these abominations, even the souls that do them shall be cut off from among their people.

A common Hebrew word translated life (soul) is nephesh. Nephesh is used for the life or breath of both animals and man (Gen. 1: 20, 30; 19: 17). Life is that state that is the opposite of death. It is a state of animation, breathing, and awareness. Men and animals alike possess a soul =breath (nephesh). However animals will not live forever as human will someday.

Gen 1:30

(ASV) and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so.

(BBE) And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the air and every living thing moving on the face of the earth I have given every green plant for food: and it was so.

(CEV) And I have given the green plants as food for everything else that breathes. These will be food for animals, both wild and tame, and for birds.

(KJV) And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

(KJV+) And to everyH3605 beastH2416 of the earth,H776 and to everyH3605 fowlH5775 of the air,H8064 and to every thingH3605 that creepethH7430 uponH5921 the earth,H776 whereinH834 there is life,H5315 H2416 I have given(H853) everyH3605 greenH3418 herbH6212 for meat:H402 and it wasH1961 so.H3651

(MKJV) And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the heavens, and to every creeper on the earth which has in it a living soul every green plant is for food; and it was so.

The soul dies when we die because we sin.

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are Mine. As the soul of the father, also the soul of the son, they are Mine. The soul that sins, it shall die.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, nor shall the father bear the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be on him.

There is a literal hell. The Bible does say that. The scripture refering a seperation from God is refering to life here on earth. When you live a life separated from God is a termed as hell, not the physical hell of eternity. I hope I have helped you in not misrepresenting the Bible.

Yeah there is a literal Hell but it's not what you're insinuating it is.
I am not insinuating anything. The Bible says it. You can not sugar coat it. There is eternal torment according to Gods word. Read and understand the bible before you claim things, Jesus said not to add or take away from the word. When you misunderstand the Bible that is what you are doing.

If you have been paying attention i am the one using scripture to back my claims. No sugar coating here just pointing out the facts of the scriptures.

Hell is not "out there". It's in the mind. Every moment of rage and condemnation is a moment in hell.
You are wrong as always.

There is a Hell but it's the grave whether it be in the belly of an animal or the bottom of the sea or mankinds common grave.

Hell is the grave,and hell is separation from God which is what happens at death.

Explain then why the lake of fire is called the second death and not a place of torment ? And why death and helll are cast into the lake of fire ?

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

So are they gonna be put death being cast into the lake of fire or are they gonna be tormented.

Anyone who teaches that God will torment people forever are ignorant of the scriptures and should not speak on the subject because you offend the creator not to mention drive people away from God by making him look sadistic.
If you are saved your soul goes to heaven. If you are not it waits until the Great White Throne of Judgment where it is judged and thrown into the lake of fire. First death is when you physically die here on earth, your sour lives on. The second death is when you are thrown into the lake of fire to be tormented forever.

That's right. Can I add something?
Death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. That is because eternal life will have arrived on Earth.

And hell is no longer necessary. Hell is the holding cell for those that chose Satan as their father, instead of the Lord. The ones that chose NOT TO BE children of God. Those people will be judged at the White Throne Judgement, and recieve THEIR father's fate.

Their names are not in the book of life, because they never accepted the gift of eternal life WITH GOD, that Jesus paid our admission to. Every soul is eternal. Where we spend eternity is up to us, not God. Don't blame him.

Hell is a much nicer place than the Lake. In the Lake, you burn. And there is no 3rd. death. You burn for eternity, along side Satan and his demons. Have you ever burned a finger? How quickly did you get your finger away from that heat source? Then imagine......
For a glimps of Hell, read Luke 16:24.

I'm so glad I don't live with this kind of fear.

In the original Judaic writings, hell was a place called Sheol. Yeshua spoke of it on occasion, because He was a Jew.

Later, after Rome sacked Jerusalem and took over their religion as a way to rule the people of Europe (adding in many pagan things to make it more palatable to the pagans), they started to work on their definition of hell, which they based on Dante's Divine Comedy.

Hell as the Christians currently believe in it doesn't really exist.

One of the logical fallacies is that you will be thrown in hell for eternity. Got news for all of you, you CAN'T go anywhere for eternity, because as humans, we ALL have a beginning. If you were to go to hell for eternity, that would mean that you were there BEFORE you were born.

In John 3:16, it doesn't say anything about eternity, it states that if you believe in Him, you will have EVERLASTING life, not eternal.

You can only be forever, you can't be eternal.

I see it all the time the threat of a loving and just God is literally gonna torment people in fire for the rest of eternity. Why can't people see that it is not literal torment. The torment is being cut off from God ,death cuts us off from God.

Hell is the world of the dead nothing is alive in Hell. I know you will post all your scriptures that make it look like that all people that go to Hell will be tormented but what about the scriptures that show otherwise ?

Do we need to keep the word of God free of contradiction ?

Warning if you post the scriptures that show torment i will post a key scripture that shows what Hell and the lake of fire truly are. So post if you must but what i am looking for is give me your reasons why you believe a loving and just God would torment his children for eternity ? show me how that view goes along with God being loving and just ?

why cant you understand - there aint no such thing as - HEAVEN OR HELL !

In the original Judaic writings, hell was a place called Sheol. Yeshua spoke of it on occasion, because He was a Jew.

Later, after Rome sacked Jerusalem and took over their religion as a way to rule the people of Europe (adding in many pagan things to make it more palatable to the pagans), they started to work on their definition of hell, which they based on Dante's Divine Comedy.

One of the logical fallacies is that you will be thrown in hell for eternity. Got news for all of you, you CAN'T go anywhere for eternity, because as humans, we ALL have a beginning. If you were to go to hell for eternity, that would mean that you were there BEFORE you were born.

In John 3:16, it doesn't say anything about eternity, it states that if you believe in Him, you will have EVERLASTING life, not eternal.

Good point, eternal is without end.

I see it all the time the threat of a loving and just God is literally gonna torment people in fire for the rest of eternity. Why can't people see that it is not literal torment. The torment is being cut off from God ,death cuts us off from God.

Hell is the world of the dead nothing is alive in Hell. I know you will post all your scriptures that make it look like that all people that go to Hell will be tormented but what about the scriptures that show otherwise ?

Warning if you post the scriptures that show torment i will post a key scripture that shows what Hell and the lake of fire truly are. So post if you must but what i am looking for is give me your reasons why you believe a loving and just God would torment his children for eternity ? show me how that view goes along with God being loving and just ?

You know this how ?

Hell is the grave, there are definitely graves.

Last edited:

Mat 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul. But rather fear Him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

(ASV) And God said, Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

(BBE) And God said, Let the waters be full of living things, and let birds be in flight over the earth under the arch of heaven.

(CEV) God said, "I command the ocean to be full of living creatures, and I command birds to fly above the earth."

(KJV) And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

(KJV+) And GodH430 said,H559 Let the watersH4325 bring forth abundantlyH8317 the moving creatureH8318 that hath life,H5315 H2416 and fowlH5775 that may flyH5774 aboveH5921 the earthH776 inH5921 the openH6440 firmamentH7549 of heaven.H8064

(MKJV) And God said, Let the waters swarm with swarmers having a living soul; and let birds fly over the earth on the face of the expanse of the heavens.

Gen 2:7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Gen 36:6 And Esau took his wives, and his sons, and his daughters, and all the souls of his house, and his cattle, and all his beasts, and all his possessions, which he had gathered in the land of Canaan; and went into a land away from his brother Jacob.

Lev 18:29 For whosoever shall do any of these abominations, even the souls that do them shall be cut off from among their people.

A common Hebrew word translated life (soul) is nephesh. Nephesh is used for the life or breath of both animals and man (Gen. 1: 20, 30; 19: 17). Life is that state that is the opposite of death. It is a state of animation, breathing, and awareness. Men and animals alike possess a soul =breath (nephesh). However animals will not live forever as human will someday.

(ASV) and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for food: and it was so.

(BBE) And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the air and every living thing moving on the face of the earth I have given every green plant for food: and it was so.

(CEV) And I have given the green plants as food for everything else that breathes. These will be food for animals, both wild and tame, and for birds.

(KJV) And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

(KJV+) And to everyH3605 beastH2416 of the earth,H776 and to everyH3605 fowlH5775 of the air,H8064 and to every thingH3605 that creepethH7430 uponH5921 the earth,H776 whereinH834 there is life,H5315 H2416 I have given(H853) everyH3605 greenH3418 herbH6212 for meat:H402 and it wasH1961 so.H3651

(MKJV) And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the heavens, and to every creeper on the earth which has in it a living soul every green plant is for food; and it was so.

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are Mine. As the soul of the father, also the soul of the son, they are Mine. The soul that sins, it shall die.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, nor shall the father bear the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be on him.
The soul does not die. The body dies and the soul lives on in Heaven if you are a Christian. As I said before, the death because of sin is a separation from God.

You are so confused, everlasting is the same as eternal. People that claim the Bible says something when it doesn't, or says it doesn't when it does are lying and need to reread it and really understand what it is telling them.

Hell is not "out there". It's in the mind. Every moment of rage and condemnation is a moment in hell.
You are wrong as always.

There is a Hell but it's the grave whether it be in the belly of an animal or the bottom of the sea or mankinds common grave.

Hell is the grave,and hell is separation from God which is what happens at death.
Until the Great White Throne Of Judgment when the unfaithful are judged and thrown into the lake of fire. Read Revelation 20 versus 11 thru 15. and stop making false statements.

Well SOMEONE is going to be wrong...either us Christians or you Atheists.
What if it's YOU that is wrong? I'm positive it is you that's wrong. Think about it.

I've seen you say this before, and I still don't understand why you think eternal must mean without beginning or end. Sure, that's a definition for it, but simply without end is also. And when you are talking infinite amounts of time, whether you have a starting point or not, they can be considered equal amounts. Like a ray and a line; one goes infinitely in both direction, the other in only one direction, but both are still infinite.

With possible issues of translation, differing word usage based on time period, and even slang to take into account, I don't understand why you are so confident the definition of eternal you are using is accurate.

You have no idea what hell is......

Ever been there?

You have no idea what hell is......

Ever been there?

I've been to Hell Michigan! Does that count?? :)
Just kidding, couldn't help but throw that in :)

You're correct...he doesn't know what hell is. But many are hard hearted (and hard headed!) and I pray they understand before it too late.... :eusa_pray:

Well SOMEONE is going to be wrong...either us Christians or you Atheists.
What if it's YOU that is wrong? I'm positive it is you that's wrong. Think about it.

What if YOU are wrong and chose the wrong religion? There are thousands of religions and the odds are that you chose the wrong one

Think about it

The soul does not die. The body dies and the soul lives on in Heaven if you are a Christian. As I said before, the death because of sin is a separation from God.

Where does it say your soul lives on and did you notice animals have a soul ?

And when you look at the Hebrew word for soul it is defined as breath, which is what God blew into the nostrils of adam and then it said adam became a living soul.

You are so confused, everlasting is the same as eternal. People that claim the Bible says something when it doesn't, or says it doesn't when it does are lying and need to reread it and really understand what it is telling them.

Now that i look at it closer eternal can be used as well.

Mat 19:16 And,G2532 behold,G2400 oneG1520 cameG4334 and saidG2036 unto him,G846 GoodG18 Master,G1320 whatG5101 good thingG18 shall I do,G4160 thatG2443 I may haveG2192 eternalG166 life?G2222

Definition of eternal.

G166
αἰώνιος
aiōnios
ahee-o'-nee-os
From G165; perpetual (also used of past time, or past and future as well): - eternal, for ever, everlasting, world (began).

Everlasting life could be another term used to describe what the faithful will get from God,but tell me how this verse supports your view on the soul and death.

Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

You are wrong as always.

Until the Great White Throne Of Judgment when the unfaithful are judged and thrown into the lake of fire. Read Revelation 20 versus 11 thru 15. and stop making false statements.

Quit taking scripture out of context and please explain all the scriptures i posted that contradicts your doctrine.

Forum List

Back