Why do retired Bronze star winners run as Democrats?

and colin powell endorsed president obama; and admiral sestak is a democrat.

i'm gonna go with military folk have the same variances as every other segment of the population for 1,000, alex. (though i'm not sure if they're bronze star winners).
I would not go that far. Most of the military is republican, by a large margin. It is the type of person that the military draws. Then again, there are plenty of military people that cannot name the three branches of government so it really does not matter. Service is a plus for a candidate no matter what party they belong to and the OP has no real point. Just because there are 2 officers running for office as a democrat means nothing whatsoever.

Yes. This is why the Gore campaign sought to suppress military votes in the Florida election.

Yeah....that's what it was all-about...... :rolleyes:

"Was this plan, a blatant act of voter fraud, ever carried out?

Before the election, 23,246 overseas ballots were mailed out from the state of Florida, and more than half of them -- 14,415 -- had come in by Election Day.

As of Nov. 13, Monday, Florida's 67 counties had received 446 military overseas ballots since Nov. 8.

By Nov. 16, Thursday afternoon, that number had swelled to 2,575.

By the next day, it was 3,733."

and colin powell endorsed president obama; and admiral sestak is a democrat.

i'm gonna go with military folk have the same variances as every other segment of the population for 1,000, alex. (though i'm not sure if they're bronze star winners).
I would not go that far. Most of the military is republican, by a large margin.
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....how convincing.....especially when you feel no need to provide any (actual) numbers. (...A typical "conservative"/'Bagger-tactic.)

:rolleyes:

so you're a conservative? no wonder o many people think they're all asshats.

BTW, not to derail this thread, but a Bronze Star isn't a that big of a deal. It's basically a blanket award given out based on rank for a combat deployment.

A bronze star with V device is a totally different affair.

I believe Col. West has an award for Valor.

No, if that were the case it would say "Bronze Star With V Device". He did get an Army Commendation Medal With V Device which is (not to denigrate it) the lowest ranking valorous award the Army gives out.

At any rate, on the subject of medals; someone once said (words to the effect of):

"The greatest medal in the world is the smile on a living man's face."

Sadly, at least in the case of the Army, medals are basically a political affair based on rank. Virtually everyone who deploys over the rank of E-7 gets a Bronze Star Medal for their combined efforts during the action. Everyone below gets an Army Commendation medal. Good luck getting an E-6 a Bronze Star. Trust me, I fought that battle for three months and ended up losing. Meanwhile, some oxygen thief 2LT sitting who sat in a FOB and counted blankets all year gets a Bronze Star because, well, they are a Lieutenant. I think at the O-5 level they start handing out Meritorious Service Medals. It's a goofy way to do business, but there you have it.

The only things I got during my tour that I felt I "earned" were my Combat Infantryman's Badge and Combat Patch.

Last edited:
Here's one from Missouri running as a Democrat:

Tommy spent 11 years active duty and obtained the grade of Major. During the Balkan war, he deployed to Kosovo to lead a platoon of Combat Engineers in multinational operations. Later, Tommy attended the Special Forces Qualification Course, graduating 1st in his class. At 10th Special Forces Group, he led an Operational Detachment-Alpha (A-Team) of 12 Green Berets. In two deployments to Iraq in 2004-2006, he conducted a wide range of counterinsurgency operations and was awarded the Combat Infantryman’s Badge and two Bronze Stars. He is Ranger, HALO and Jumpmaster qualified.

Pretty impressive military bio.

A proven leader ready to fight for the 8th District | Tommy Sowers for Congress

Fucking Ranger Pussy. :lol:

Whew!!

Hey....whatever gets-you-thru-the-night. :rolleyes:

Do you provide any price-breaks/variations, from one special-ops group, to another?​

Like hell they were. You weren't with me in Iraq when Rummy came to visit and I watched nearly everyone in the room ignore his ass or give him the cold shoulder while fawning all over a couple of other VIPs who came with him.

"especially Rumsfeld" what a hoot!

Let's see, I have the opinions of Art and Geaux who were actually in the military and overseas when Rummy was around or I have the opinion of Rabbi who not only was not there but also is a Neocon racist.

Hmm, who to trust, who to believe. :eusa_think:

:lol:

Ooh Ooh and an idiot, you forgot also an idiot!

It tells you that some retired soldiers are Democrats and some are Republicans, it's that simple.

I agree with that.
I am talking about career officers and in a district 70% Republican.
Name a retired decorated career combat West Point grad Colonel running as a Republican.
I M telling you folks. Ask Jim Webb and this guy and the Pentagon of the Iraq mess with Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al.
Those folks were not Democrats.

Allen West, decorated Colonel

Lieutenant Colonel Allen West (US Army, Retired) was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia and is third of four generations of military servicemen in his family. His parents instilled in him a very basic principle, love of God and Country. In 2004, when it was time to retire from more than twenty years of service in the US Army, he brought his wife and two young daughters to Broward County, Florida, where he taught high school for one year. He then returned to Afghanistan as an advisor to the Afghan army, an assignment he finished in November 2007.

Allen West received his Bachelors degree from University of Tennessee and Masters degree from Kansas State University, both in political science. He also holds a Master of Military Arts and Sciences from the US Army Command and General Staff Officer College in political theory and military operations.
“Education is the great equalizer,” he says. “With a good education, any child in America can live his dream.”

Allen West knows that for our children to live their dreams, they need to be safe. He has served in several combat zones: in Operation Desert Storm, in Operation Iraqi Freedom, where he was battalion commander for the Army’s 4th Infantry Division, and in Afghanistan, where he trained Afghan officers to take on the responsibility of securing their own country.

In his Army career, Col. West has been honored many times, including a Bronze Star, three Meritorious Service Medals, three Army Commendation Medals (one with Valor), and a Valorous Unit Award. He received his valor award as a Captain in Desert Shield/Storm, was the US Army ROTC Instructor of the Year in 1993, and was a Distinguished Honor Graduate III Corps Assault School. He proudly wears the Army Master parachutist badge, Air Assault badge, Navy/Marine Corps parachutist insignia, Italian parachutist wings, and German proficiency badge (Bronze award).

Allen is an avid distance runner, a PADI Master certified SCUBA diver, motorcyclist, and attends Community Christian Church in Tamarac Florida.

Excellence is a West family tradition. His wife, Angela, holds an MBA and PhD. and works as a financial planner. His oldest daughter, Aubrey, attends Archbishop McCarthy HS and his youngest daughter, Austen, attends Parkway Christian School.

About Allen West | Allen West for Congress

Good job. West looks like a good man. I would consider voting for him if I lived in his district.

Good job. West looks like a good man. I would consider voting for him if I lived in his district.

I think it's kind of silly that he wears his Master Parachutist Badge and Air Assault badge on his lapel.

But that's just me.

And hey, I am the guy that uses my badges as tacs on my refrigerator clipboard.

At any rate, the military thing is all good and fine, but the issues are what are really important. This is what would keep me from voting for him:

Make no mistake, we are a nation at war against a totalitarian theocratic political ideology that glorifies death rather than celebrates life. To defeat it, we must stay on the offensive. From Afghanistan and Iraq, to the Greater Middle East and South America, radical Islam is on the march. And while our attention is focused on combating global terrorism, we must not forget other looming threats just on the horizon in China, North Korea, Venezuela, Russia & Iran. These nations and their leaders represent the biggest threat to our great nation. As your Congressman, I will work to reestablish American Exceptionalism by growing and modernizing America’s Armed forces to ensure that we are prepared for the strategic challenges ahead. Like President Reagan, I believe that peace is best kept through a strong national defense.

Last edited:
Why did the Repugs run a deserter and a draft dodger in 2000?
Hell.....he'd been "groomed", for that, from early-on.....​
"His business career was marked by mediocrity or failure which nonetheless resulted in him getting lots of money from his father's political allies. And his political career has been handed to him on a platter by his famous name, and by hi$ dad'$ cronie$."

"But in George's closet are skeletons rattling. Their bones raise questions about his skill for making good decisions, and ask if he has skirted the law -- or even committed crimes.

There are several odd gaps in Dubya's past, but there is no more fuzzy period than the year from May 1972 to May 1973. In April of '72 he began drifting away from military service, although there were still two years remaining in his hitch. Bush apparenly didn't report once for duty for over seven months, even skipping his mandatory annual physical. They call this AWOL, say critics."

george_w_bush_harvard.jpg

Here's one from Missouri running as a Democrat:

Pretty impressive military bio.

A proven leader ready to fight for the 8th District | Tommy Sowers for Congress

Fucking Ranger Pussy. :lol:

Whew!!

Hey....whatever gets-you-thru-the-night. :rolleyes:

Do you provide any price-breaks/variations, from one special-ops group, to another?​

I think ConHog has also completed Ranger School and thus, like, Sowers is "Ranger Qualified" so I think he was being tongue in cheek.

BTW, not to derail this thread, but a Bronze Star isn't a that big of a deal. It's basically a blanket award given out based on rank for a combat deployment.

A bronze star with V device is a totally different affair.

No, if that were the case it would say "Bronze Star With V Device". He did get an Army Commendation Medal With V Device which is (not to denigrate it) the lowest ranking valorous award the Army gives out.

At any rate, on the subject of medals; someone once said (words to the effect of):

Sadly, at least in the case of the Army, medals are basically a political affair based on rank. Virtually everyone who deploys over the rank of E-7 gets a Bronze Star Medal for their combined efforts during the action. Everyone below gets an Army Commendation medal. Good luck getting an E-6 a Bronze Star. Trust me, I fought that battle for three months and ended up losing. Meanwhile, some oxygen thief 2LT sitting who sat in a FOB and counted blankets all year gets a Bronze Star because, well, they are a Lieutenant. I think at the O-5 level they start handing out Meritorious Service Medals. It's a goofy way to do business, but there you have it.

The only things I got during my tour that I felt I "earned" were my Combat Infantryman's Badge and Combat Patch.

Works the same way in the Air Force.

You will never see anyone below E-5 with a Meritorious Service Medal, they occasionally get an Accommodation Medal (mostly to E-5s) but more often than not get an Achievement Medal. MSMs don't really start to get handed out until you hit E-7 but you can bet that there are a bunch of LTs with them.

You're not seriously suggesting that we should believe Powell endorsed Obama for any reason other than his skin color are you?

On the other point you are absolutely correct. I don't think anyone with a functioning brain believes winning a bronze star has anything to do with one's political leanings.

Are you saying that Powell endorsed Obama ONLY because of his skin color?

I think that is not an unfair assessment.
No. It'd be considered a typical 'Bagger-assessment.

:rolleyes:

Works the same way in the Air Force.

You will never see anyone below E-5 with a Meritorious Service Medal, they occasionally get an Accommodation Medal (mostly to E-5s) but more often than not get an Achievement Medal. MSMs don't really start to get handed out until you hit E-7 but you can bet that there are a bunch of LTs with them.

It's completely screwed up. Oh well. Not my problem anymore.

You forgot John "our troops terrorize civilians" Kerry and John "Our Marines murdered in cold blood!!" Murtha

The rape victim, Abeer Qassim Hamza, was 14 years old. Although an FBI affidavit (based on soldiers' accounts) estimated her age to be 25, Reuters obtained documents that gave her date of birth as August 19, 1991. The other victims have been identified as Fikhriya Taha, the girl's mother; her father Qassim Hamza, and her younger sister, Hadeel Qassim Hamza.

The charges follow a military investigation into the involvement of as many as five soldiers in the rape and murders committed in the town of Mahmoudiya, 30 km south of Baghdad, on March 12.

US soldier arrested for rape and four murders in Iraq - Wikinews, the free news source

That's because Republicans lowered the standards which allowed people like this into the military.
Ya' gotta figure.....pre-2004, Rummy & BUSHCO had (pretty-much) exterminated the (available) "Best & Brightest".

Out of dire-need, they'd reverted to the 'Nam-option; warm-bodies!

"In 2004, the Pentagon published a "Moral Waiver Study", whose seemingly benign goal was "to better define relationships between pre-Service behaviors and subsequent Service success." That turned out to mean opening more recruitment doors to potential enlistees with criminal records."

You forgot John "our troops terrorize civilians" Kerry and John "Our Marines murdered in cold blood!!" Murtha

The rape victim, Abeer Qassim Hamza, was 14 years old. Although an FBI affidavit (based on soldiers' accounts) estimated her age to be 25, Reuters obtained documents that gave her date of birth as August 19, 1991. The other victims have been identified as Fikhriya Taha, the girl's mother; her father Qassim Hamza, and her younger sister, Hadeel Qassim Hamza.

The charges follow a military investigation into the involvement of as many as five soldiers in the rape and murders committed in the town of Mahmoudiya, 30 km south of Baghdad, on March 12.

US soldier arrested for rape and four murders in Iraq - Wikinews, the free news source

StevenGreen.jpg

That's because Republicans lowered the standards which allowed people like this into the military.

Complete and total bullshit.​
....The typical 'Bagger-response to all things, unknown; i.e. General Knowledge!

389.gif

And then there was Wesley Clark. He was a sure winner right up until he announced his candidacy.
The US doesn't have much of a tradition of soldiers going into politics. Washington, Grant, Jackson, Eisenhower are all pretty much the exceptions.
The Democrats have specifically recruited monkeys like Webb precisely because they are unusual in supporting Democrats.
Give me Curtis LeMay as a candidate any day.
LeMay ran with George Wallace for President. I agreed with LeMay on his bombing strategy for Nam and believe his analysis was proven correct after the war.
Yeah.....bombing-the-crap outta The North really made a big difference.

We SCREWED the Vietnamese!!! (...Especially after they helped us, against Japan.)

There was no way we could have won, there!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erf52WGnM4g]YouTube - Viet Nam A Television History 1, The Roots of War 3[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdMhaypD5wU[/ame]​

Last edited:

Complete and total bullshit.​
....The typical 'Bagger-response to all things, unknown; i.e. General Knowledge!

389.gif
Another typical 1/2-assed response from the reading rainbow.

What republican(s) had a part in lowering enlistment standards?
And did the guy in question have a criminal history that got overlooked that allowed his enlistment?

Picking out this one dirtbag, just because he was in the Army, and blaming the republicans is like picking out a union guy that lost his job and went on a shooting spree and blaming the democrats.
:cuckoo:

James Webb is a combat vet in the Nam. I defer to his buddies in the field and they stand with him.

It's the same with Kerry. All the guys on Kerry's boat, with the exception of one, have said he was a good officer and they enjoyed serving under him.

Of course that was all ignored in the need to smear Kerry and his war record. It was a cheap shot, but it was enough to take the scrutiny of of what Bush did to avoid combat service.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At any rate, I've seen the list of veterans who don't support Kerry.
....Like that WORM; John O'Neill!!!!!!!

i_am_a_liar.jpg

:mad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j4AP2GW7Ac]YouTube - Dick Cavett Show pt.1of 6[/ame]​

Last edited:
And then there was Wesley Clark. He was a sure winner right up until he announced his candidacy.
The US doesn't have much of a tradition of soldiers going into politics. Washington, Grant, Jackson, Eisenhower are all pretty much the exceptions.
The Democrats have specifically recruited monkeys like Webb precisely because they are unusual in supporting Democrats.
Give me Curtis LeMay as a candidate any day.
LeMay ran with George Wallace for President. I agreed with LeMay on his bombing strategy for Nam and believe his analysis was proven correct after the war. However, his bumbling advice during the Cuban missle crisis was absurd. Great air strategic planner but be glad he never made it in politics.
James Webb is a combat vet in the Nam. I defer to his buddies in the field and they stand with him. Good enough for those that do not defer to their political ideology over their common sense which Webb has plenty of. Ike was a moderate Republican in an era of war happy Democrats.
You need to admit it Rabbi. Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeldwere the laughing stock of the Pentagon and career military up until the first soldier died in Iraq. They despised them after that. Do I need to explain to you why?

Bush and especially Rumsfeld were very much respected by the military, which had to bite its collective lip during Clinton's presidency.......
....."biting its collective lip during Clinton's presidency..." regarding what???????

:confused:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iAJ9zpmDBI&feature=related[/ame]​

Last edited:

Forum List

Back