Why Do Republicans Hate France So Much?

Why Do Republicans Hate France So Much?

• We saved their asses in WW2 and they never properly thanked us, the ingrates!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • If their social democratic system has any successes, if undermines Republican dogmas.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • They're not Merican, and if they're not Merican, Republicans don't like'em!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Ah cain't understand what they're sayin' so they must be makin' fun of me!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • They think they're #1 and everyone knows America is #1! Duh!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
I've noticed that during arguments and debates here on USMB, whenever someone (typically a liberal) brings up France as an example, all of a sudden the conservatives start jumping out of the woodwork to criticize France and the liberal for ever bringing up such a repugnant nation as an example. What gives?

I've heard lots of nice things about France: great food, art, culture, Paris is supposed to be nice (Hitler loved Paris so much he didn't destroy it during the German retreat so it would only seem logical that Republicans would like Paris), beautiful scenery, everyone gets at least a month of vacation time a year, mother's who've just given birth get plenty of time off to be with their brand new child (and so does the father!) with government funded assistance and child care, their taxes aren't much more than ours but they get so much back in return (yeah, yeah, I know, they have 11% unemployment, but at least no one's starving), their murder rates are far far below ours, their immigration laws are just - if not more - strict than the US's, there are lots of Christians there, they gave us the Statue of Liberty, french fries, french-cut green beans, french fried onions (which with the green beans are ingredients in greenbean casserole, an American traditional favorite dish on Thanksgiving), bikini-waxing!, topless beaches, and an outrageous accent which makes for hours of entertainment if you're goofing off in the kitchen while making dinner or watching Monty Python. From everything I've read, as long as you aren't Algerian, you've got it pretty good there in France.

I've noticed that during arguments and debates here on USMB, whenever someone (typically a liberal) brings up France as an example, all of a sudden the conservatives start jumping out of the woodwork to criticize France and the liberal for ever bringing up such a repugnant nation as an example. What gives?

I've heard lots of nice things about France: great food, art, culture, Paris is supposed to be nice (Hitler loved Paris so much he didn't destroy it during the German retreat so it would only seem logical that Republicans would like Paris), beautiful scenery, everyone gets at least a month of vacation time a year, mother's who've just given birth get plenty of time off to be with their brand new child (and so does the father!) with government funded assistance and child care, their taxes aren't much more than ours but they get so much back in return (yeah, yeah, I know, they have 11% unemployment, but at least no one's starving), their murder rates are far far below ours, their immigration laws are just - if not more - strict than the US's, there are lots of Christians there, they gave us the Statue of Liberty, french fries, french-cut green beans, french fried onions (which with the green beans are ingredients in greenbean casserole, an American traditional favorite dish on Thanksgiving), bikini-waxing!, topless beaches, and an outrageous accent which makes for hours of entertainment if you're goofing off in the kitchen while making dinner or watching Monty Python. From everything I've read, as long as you aren't Algerian, you've got it pretty good there in France.

Hitler ordered that Paris be destroyed (as in burnt to the ground). the general under penalty of death disobeyed the order.

Maybe because when they see London, or France, they can see your underpants? :confused:

Nothing wrong with France another dictatorial conquest and subsequent liberation by American armed forces would not fix.

Wonder if any from either side of the France enmity topic have ever lived and worked in France or in a country close to it. ?

Though I'm not a republican, France is still a joke.

They lead Europe, if not the world, in trade protectionism. The best example of this is that you'd be hard pressed to find a French car outside the country, and very few cars driven there are imports.

Their micro-managed economy punishes ambitious people, by limiting how much they may work by law.

They enjoyed the protection of the NATO alliance during the Cold War, yet were still totally xenophobic towards those allies.

They were willing participants in the oil-for-palaces scam.

They lead Europe, if not the world, in trade protectionism.

Trade protectionism is and has been a necessary element of American development. For instance, it's common to refer to the utilization of state protection to facilitate the appropriate development of infant industries, thus maximizing dynamic comparative advantage.

French are the only people who are more arrogant than Republicans.

French don't put up with right wing spin like liberals do so the GOP hate them.

Hitler ordered that Paris be destroyed (as in burnt to the ground). the general under penalty of death disobeyed the order.

Really? Well, thanks for the correction.

It was toward the end of the war, with alllies advancing, so you may have been correct about his adoration of Paris.

Well, I got my info from the series "World at War" ever seen it? The episode about Hitler's conquest of France showed some letters he'd written about how he'd always wanted to visit Paris (and he did, that one time after the Germans took it), and how much he loved it there during his visit. I think I do remember hearing something about what you wrote.

Forum List

Back